C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vent window rivets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Vent window rivets.

Just replaced the rubber weatherstrips on my vent windows. Now need to reinstall the vent window hinge pin. Got 2 plus a spare a spare from Vendor. Any advice as to how to properlly rivet?? The rivet is the type with a hollow center. Thanks Dave
Old 03-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Dave 8849
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They make a tool that sets the hollw end correctly, or you can make your own but you need a lathe.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I did a respectable job with a BB (for a BB gun) sitting in the hollow end, crimped carefully with a pair of Vise Grips that I had padded the jaws with a few layers of tape. If you decide to try it, crimp slowly so you can see what's happening to the crimped end of the rivet.

If you've got a spare, you might want to give it a try . . . up to you.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM
vettegozzzz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drilled the old out, rested the head side of the rivet on a piece of iron and used a hammer and punches to widen the barrel end of the rivet. Started with a small punch working up to two larger punches.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM
wenmaxjr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vent window hinge rivet

To properly set those tubular rivets. I got a hand rivet squeezer and roll chrimp dies from Hanson Rivet. Not inexpensive. Hand rivet squeezer was about $165. The dies where only $12 to $18 each. I also got the dies to set the rivets on the weather stripping for the side window. You can't order over the internet. They do have a website. Must call them. To make things go quicker for ordering have all the dimensions of the rivet. www.hansonrivet.com

Wendell
Old 03-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wenmaxjr
To properly set those tubular rivets. I got a hand rivet squeezer and roll chrimp dies from Hanson Rivet. Not inexpensive. Hand rivet squeezer was about $165. The dies where only $12 to $18 each. I also got the dies to set the rivets on the weather stripping for the side window. You can't order over the internet. They do have a website. Must call them. To make things go quicker for ordering have all the dimensions of the rivet. www.hansonrivet.com

Wendell
Wow!! I think I'll stick with the Vise Grips and a BB, especially since I don't plan on being judged by NCRS!!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Tried the BB method but was not happy with the finished product. Started over with the $12 (I think) tool from LICS that looks like a punch and it did a much better job IMO of rounding the finished flare on the rivet. Pilot Dan
Old 03-11-2010, 10:36 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Tried the BB method but was not happy with the finished product. Started over with the $12 (I think) tool from LICS that looks like a punch and it did a much better job IMO of rounding the finished flare on the rivet. Pilot Dan
LICS has 3 rivet setting tools is this the one?

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000370a
Old 03-11-2010, 11:25 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Good ideas guys. I bought a spare just in case. Bought my rivets from LIC and wish I had see there tool. After reading your ideas it got me thinking. Wonder if a tubing flaring tool would work??? Got to go check that out . Thanks Guys.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
If the rivet walls are a little thicker on one side than the other, it doesn't work nearly as well. It helps a lot to use a rivet with as nearly the same wall thickness all around, makes for a more even flare. The LICS tool will do a better job, however, regardless of the rivet.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by wilbur
LICS has 3 rivet setting tools is this the one?

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000370a
Yes, this is the tool I used. Worked very well and was not too expensive for once in a while use.

Get notified of new replies

To Vent window rivets.

Quick Reply: Vent window rivets.