C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leaky valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM
70GHH
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Leaky valve covers

I'm sure you all have many different ideas, so I'm looking forward to some solutions.

I refinished my valve covers late in the fall and have driven my 66BB a few times since. When I got underneath to do my annual spring cleaning (still cold here) I noticed oil was weeping past the valve cover gaskets. I installed the "correct" cork gaskets. I used a thin bead of gasket adhesive to hold the gasket to the valve cover then carefully torqued them down.

I have a set of Fel-Pro synthetic gaskets that I would be glad to use if that's the way to stop the leaking.

Suggestions?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Try a 1/8" wide, continuous bead of "The Right Stuff" between the cover and the gasket. I had 2 mechanics tell me that it's the only gasket sealer they use now. I recently replaced my pan, valve cover, intake manifold and thermostat gaskets with "The Right Stuff".....with no leaks.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Make sure your valve cover rails are perfectly straight. If not, when you tighten at the bolts you get uneven pressure along the cover, and that results in leaks. Take a straight edge, lay it on it. If it need tweeking, use a brass drift or some other suitable object to hold againt the rail and pean it with your hammer then check it again until it's true. Dennis
Old 03-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Bluestripes right, most tin covers leak 'cause they were overtightened at some point. Use the straight edge of as I do the edge of a steel work bench and body hammer. Once straight I glue the gasket to the cover using contact cement, and just a little oil or grease on a rag for the mating surface side, make sure yu use those load spreader washers that came with the car, and make 'em just snug, or torque them to be sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaky valve covers

Quick Reply: Leaky valve covers