C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Trunk Lock

Old 03-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C1 Trunk Lock

The trunk lock on my ’56 has always worked just fine. Yesterday I opened the trunk for the first time this year and it opened OK, as it always has. This morning, I went to open the trunk, but now for some reasons, the lock just won’t turn. The key goes in all the way smoothly but the lock wont turn. Same problem with all spare keys. I tried to push down on the lid a bit but that doesn’t help.
Any suggestions for this PITA problem?
Thanks
Pierre
Old 03-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm assuming the car is indoors and the lock is not frozen from the cold (taking into account your Northern location!).

I have had some luck once in a while forcing the tip of the key part way into the lock to open the little 'flip door' a ways and then squirting a shot of penetrating oil into the lock mechanism. Do NOT get the fluid on the paint. Work and jiggle the key around and maybe you'll get lucky...if no joy with this method you may have a broken piece in the trunk lock (bad news) and maybe its locksmith time.

(I don't know another way into the trunk of a C1, unlike some modern cars where you can crawl in by removing the back seat).
Old 03-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Pierre
Pro

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'm assuming the car is indoors and the lock is not frozen from the cold (taking into account your Northern location!).

I have had some luck once in a while forcing the tip of the key part way into the lock to open the little 'flip door' a ways and then squirting a shot of penetrating oil into the lock mechanism. Do NOT get the fluid on the paint. Work and jiggle the key around and maybe you'll get lucky...if no joy with this method you may have a broken piece in the trunk lock (bad news) and maybe its locksmith time.

(I don't know another way into the trunk of a C1, unlike some modern cars where you can crawl in by removing the back seat).
Thanks for your response Frank. I have actually squirted some WD40 in the lock with the small tube that comes with the WD40 spray can. It feels just as if I was using the wrong key, but all four keys can't be wrong. The car is always kept inside and it's quite warm here today, so freezing isn't the problem.
Pierre
Old 03-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

you are using the ignition key to open the trunk, right?...as that is correct

maybe not for a 56 though

Last edited by Ironcross; 03-21-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't know if the same can be said for a 56 (I don't suspect so) but on my 62 I once had to punch out the trunk emblem with a screw driver and hammer, so that I could get my hand into the trunk and access a failed trunk lock.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 PM
babylonvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was lucky enough to lock my keys in the trunk once,i was able to get a long thin steel rod and ducktape a screwdriver to it ,open the conv hatch and go thru the hinge tower it only took a few minutes,aim the srewdriver for the latch and insert where the lock linkage goes thru and turn it was actually very easy,i thought about punching out the emblem but the car was just painted and i was afraid of ruining the trunk or paint
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by babylonvette
i was lucky enough to lock my keys in the trunk once,i was able to get a long thin steel rod and ducktape a screwdriver to it ,open the conv hatch and go thru the hinge tower it only took a few minutes,aim the srewdriver for the latch and insert where the lock linkage goes thru and turn it was actually very easy,i thought about punching out the emblem but the car was just painted and i was afraid of ruining the trunk or paint
Good tip...
Old 03-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Pierre
Pro

Originally Posted by babylonvette
Thanks, have to give that a try....

Pierre
Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I know it doesn't apply to a 56 but on the 61/62 you could probably remove the license plate light assembly and unlock the trunk through there.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Really ? Not saying it isn't so but that sure blows the trunk security if you can get in by taking out a couple of screws from the outside of the car ??!!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Locked out

Why don't you drive it over to a locksmith and have him check it out. That would be a lot better then punching out your trunk emblem. Greg
Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Really ? Not saying it isn't so but that sure blows the trunk security if you can get in by taking out a couple of screws from the outside of the car ??!!
I'll probably have everyone with a 61/62 checking to see if it'll work.Mines in body shop now so I can't check to be sure you can get in that way.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 PM
arw57
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lock

You cannot get into the truck thru the emblem on a 56 vette. Just 3 little 1/8 holes and tabs the hold the emblem on. Call a Locksmith!

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Trunk Lock

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C1 Trunk Lock