C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OT-California requirement for front licence plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 03:10 PM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Location: Tank sticker? I ain't got no tank sticker! I don't need no tank sticker! I don't have to show any stinking tank sticker!
Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Default OT-California requirement for front licence plate

I have a question regarding the California requirement for a front licence plate.

Just moved from Virginia, where according to Virginia state law sec 46.2-711 and 46.2-715, antique motor vehicles may display a single plate if the original manufacturer's design of the vehicle allows for the use of a single plate.

How about California? I have heard that if your car came unequipped for a front plate (no bracket from the factory) that they only issue one plate for the rear of the car. My 67 Corvette came with a front bracket, but I have another car that did not and does not have one listed in the factory parts book.

Anyone with info on this?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Try this link, and scroll down to "License Plates" - everything you never wanted to know about plates. California has more laws on license plates than any other state has for everything.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_l.htm
Old 03-27-2010, 04:20 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by SILENT BOB
I have a question regarding the California requirement for a front licence plate.

Just moved from Virginia, where according to Virginia state law sec 46.2-711 and 46.2-715, antique motor vehicles may display a single plate if the original manufacturer's design of the vehicle allows for the use of a single plate.

How about California? I have heard that if your car came unequipped for a front plate (no bracket from the factory) that they only issue one plate for the rear of the car. My 67 Corvette came with a front bracket, but I have another car that did not and does not have one listed in the factory parts book.

Anyone with info on this?

you moved to CA from VA, on purpose?
Our state is bankrupt, and those of us that live here and pay income and property taxes want to get out. Our weather is great, and everything else sucks,,,,,
If you have CA Historical Vehicle plates, and there is no mounting provision for the front plate, you will be allowed to just have the rear plate mounted, (while displaying your car in parades and shows).
If you run normal passenger car plates, including YOM period correct plates, you will be required to have two mounted.
All this assumes you get stopped by Law Enforcement while driving, and they choose to make an issue of it.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Location: Tank sticker? I ain't got no tank sticker! I don't need no tank sticker! I don't have to show any stinking tank sticker!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Try this link, and scroll down to "License Plates" - everything you never wanted to know about plates. California has more laws on license plates than any other state has for everything.

John

Thanks for the info. Looks like there is a requirement for two plates on passenger cars.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:34 PM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65hihp
you moved to CA from VA, on purpose?
Our state is bankrupt, and those of us that live here and pay income and property taxes want to get out. Our weather is great, and everything else sucks,,,,,
If you have CA Historical Vehicle plates, and there is no mounting provision for the front plate, you will be allowed to just have the rear plate mounted, (while displaying your car in parades and shows).
If you run normal passenger car plates, including YOM period correct plates, you will be required to have two mounted.
All this assumes you get stopped by Law Enforcement while driving, and they choose to make an issue of it.
You are right about the weather so far. We moved to the Rancho Mirage area and have been told that a cool day in the summer is between 115 and 120 degrees. I think that beats shoveling snow in the winter and high humidity in the summer. Time will tell. Regarding taxes, it looks like about 15% more overall (cars, house, income) to the State.

Back to the plates. When I registered the car, it was strongly recommended not go with the Historical plates due to the restrictions, so I went with regular plates. Looks like I'll be making a mounting bracket.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know anything about Ca law, but I can tell you this from experience: No matter what the law is, cops dont always know it. I would always run 2 plates even if not required so as not to get pulled over. Even if the PO is wrong, it can be quite a hassle.
mike
Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Here in CA, traffic cops know how many plates are required, and in fact, I would say that all cops know that in general, in this state, TWO plates are required on all cars. If a cop does not know something, it might be an arcane rule that says that some cars with oddball license may only require one. I can tell you for sure that ALL CHP officers, traffic cops on steroids, know that cars wear front plates out here. The thing is, with 37 million people known to be living here, and probably another 2 to 3 million more illegals also here, that is a lot of cars to police. The chances of being hassled about your lack of front plate is pretty slim. After you are here a while, you will notice that many cars do not run a front plate, and probably never have any problem over it. It is when you get stopped for something else, if they are a traffic cop, they will add that charge onto the greenie, just because it's fun to pile on.

Welcome to Kaleefornia
Old 03-27-2010, 06:19 PM
bluovl
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are the restrictions on Historical Plates? And what are the advantages?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:24 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Texas has a lot of out of state plates nowadays. Guess they heard we are pro business, pro freedom and no personal income tax. And of course it's TEXAS!
Old 03-27-2010, 06:34 PM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bluovl
What are the restrictions on Historical Plates? And what are the advantages?
Thanks to John's post I can provide the link regarding historical plates:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004.htm

I asked at the DMV about para. 3f and was told that you can't even use the car for maintenance miles. So being a newbe and not sure how serious the cops were out here, I went with the regular plates.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ

And that is one of the reasons there close to Bankruptcy
Old 03-27-2010, 11:00 PM
turbocat
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Here in CA, traffic cops know how many plates are required, and in fact, I would say that all cops know that in general, in this state, TWO plates are required on all cars. If a cop does not know something, it might be an arcane rule that says that some cars with oddball license may only require one. I can tell you for sure that ALL CHP officers, traffic cops on steroids, know that cars wear front plates out here. The thing is, with 37 million people known to be living here, and probably another 2 to 3 million more illegals also here, that is a lot of cars to police. The chances of being hassled about your lack of front plate is pretty slim. After you are here a while, you will notice that many cars do not run a front plate, and probably never have any problem over it. It is when you get stopped for something else, if they are a traffic cop, they will add that charge onto the greenie, just because it's fun to pile on.

Welcome to Kaleefornia
I have seven vehicles registered in California .All have only the rear plate displayed. In 25 years I have been stopped only once for no front plate. I duct taped the plate on the front (car had no bracket for the plate) and then had the fix it ticket signed off. That was 10 years ago.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I know some of the guys with C5, C6 cars get pulled over for no front plates but I don't think it will happen much or at all with older cars. It's like said before, they aren't going to make a U-turn and come run you down for no front plate on a classic car unless you did something wrong.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Welcome to Kaleefornia
In regards to what the cops here know (they know plenty) and not popping you for just the missing plate, the above has been my experience with cops and living here all my life. I recently had a friend who got a fix-it ticket for missing a front license plate on his 67 but only after he got a ticket for not having his license year tag up to date on his rear plate. My 65 (that also has no front plate) sat right next to his car and didn't get cited.

G
Old 03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

I think it depends upon where you are and the particular police officer. I lived in the SF Bay area for a long time and I was pulled over and ticketed by the Milpitas cops for no front plate once whilst passing through from the Nimitz to the 680. It was a fix it ticket but still a pain as I had to go to their pd. It isn't worth the hassle, just put the thing on the car. They do have a lot of license plate laws for sure but every state has more laws than they need.

I see that they are going to allow black plates to be installed on non black plate cars. Thanks for that, it just reduced the value of three of my cars that are real original black plate cars and registered at my address in SLO. The black plate is now meaningless, I could bring a bondo-mobile from New York and re-register it . Apparently there is little going on in the brain trust in Sacramento....
Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You moved voluntarily to the communist state of Californiacation??? WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE YOU THINKING??? It's only probably the most represive, restrictive and bankrupt state in the Union! I used to live on the Central Coast a few years ago and got used to all their archaic laws. The Central Coast is a beautiful place to call home but the hassell just wasn't worth it. We have since moved to the GREAT town of Prescott, AZ. On second thought, forget my last comment, we already have too many Californians moving here with their big bucks and ruining paradise!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Canute
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never run a front plate and never had any problems.

Get notified of new replies

To OT-California requirement for front licence plate

Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM
C2Dan
Racer

How about California? I have heard that if your car came unequipped for a front plate (no bracket from the factory) that they only issue one plate for the rear of the car. My 67 Corvette came with a front bracket, but I have another car that did not and does not have one listed in the factory parts book. Anyone with info on this?
Today I received a ticket for not having a front license plate while I was parked in Palo Alto, California. I can either pay $75, or pay $10 and get it fixed and inspected by a police officer. This seems to be part of a major enforcement effort; there were several cars in the area with the same ticket. I assume it's related to the fact that Palo Alto loves red-light cameras, which don't work well (or at all) without a front plate.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

You are exactly correct Dan. If the town you mostly drive in has made a big commitment to Red Light Camera enforcement, then a big part of that commitment is to make sure all cars have their front plate. Otherwise, the red light cameras are a big waste of money. Here in LA, we have just started with the RLC program, and there are about two dozen intersections that have them over almost 400 square miles of territory.
That and with the police department shrinking due to an immense budgetary deficit, enforcement of front plate is spotty at best. Where I have found that enforcement to be intense is small areas where there is significant law enforcement, such as airport property where there is a big presence of Airport police. If you are parked in an airport parking lot, you will get a no front plate ticket. (all those airport police have to do something with their time). Also, college campus parking lots, (college police) etc.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:22 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You are right about the weather so far. We moved to the Rancho Mirage area and have been told that a cool day in the summer is between 115 and 120 degrees.
With that kind of heat, you might want to consider an off-set mounting. I remember seeing someone that mounted the plate under the left bumper.

Majicv8 lowered his:
http://home.mchsi.com/~magicv8/ (Scroll down to mid page.)

Idea is to keep the middle open for air flow to keep it cool.

Quick Reply: OT-California requirement for front licence plate