C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Spring Removal J-22944. Any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Default Spring Removal J-22944. Any interest?

For those of you that have messed w/ the "free" tool loan at the local Auto Parts place-and then had to purchase the tool because you destroyed the chinese junk- This ones for you!!!

If you have ever tried to replace an original or Big block spring -you know the headache of the threaded spring compressor-won't compress enough and then the "fingers" get caught between the coils and impossible to remove....

I knew there had to be a better way- The "J-22944"

After looking at it- Did a search and they were nowhere to be found.
Hence- the idea to make a "New and Improved" one-

I whipped this up at my buddies machine shop w/ some scrape metal laying around.

I improved it by adding a fitting that'll go right in a standard floor jack-

Here's what it'll look like in action-

Any interest? I can make several more. Price? It's got to be a lot quicker than the threaded spring compressor.

Ideas to improve it? I'd put a cut heater hose over the A-Arm cross shaft to protect the paint/powdercoating..

Richard
Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Richard:

I like it! Not certain if my old HD floor jacks have the removeable saddle. They probably do, but they seem to be locked in somehow. Maybe a snap-ring or lock-ring. I need to checkout....including the hole size/diameter.

I would be interested in the $$, since I plan to rebuild the fromt end of my 1967 next year. Rear suspension was this year.

There was a guy on the forum that developed a tool to remove the dents from the front frame crossover a few years ago. He went on to market and sell his invention. You may consider following. I don't think GM or Kent-Moore will have a problem with a tool this old, but that could be an issue if you go commercial. Keeping a small distribution should not be a problem.

Larry
Old 03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Not sure about BB springs. My small block springs didn't even require a spring compressor. Just removed the upper ball joint nut and lowered it with an A-frame screw jack. Hardly any tension.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Thanks Larry-

I've got another aluminum "Racing" floor jack- It just has a couple of pins to remove the saddle. It works fine on it as well-

Texan- Sounds like you have an aftermarket/non-original spring. The originals even for the small block are a lot longer and have a lot of tension.

Richard
Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd be interested.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:46 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Richard454
Thanks Larry-

I've got another aluminum "Racing" floor jack- It just has a couple of pins to remove the saddle. It works fine on it as well-

Texan- Sounds like you have an aftermarket/non-original spring. The originals even for the small block are a lot longer and have a lot of tension.

Richard
You are correct. I am using Eatons '63 non a/c front springs. They ride perfect and the front end sits at the AIM manual set height. Eaton claims to make them from the GM blue prints. Eaton were the top recomendation the Forum. And were easy to install.

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Removal J-22944. Any interest?

Quick Reply: Spring Removal J-22944. Any interest?