C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

dye a convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 PM
fastrad
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default dye a convertible top

I have a 63 with a white convertible top, top is in very good condition. Is it possible to dye the top black? seeing that it is vinyl and you can dye vinyl interior parts it should be possible to dye a top. has anyone done this? what were the results?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I don't think that it would hold up. The vinyl dyes are for interior use, and probably wouldn't hold up in the weather. I've dyed some seats over the years, and while it's not perfect, it will hold nicely if you clean, clean, clean before you dye. The top would be exposed to the sun and rain, and I just don't think that it would work very well. Frankly, by the time you buy all of the stuff to do it, you would probably be better off just replacing the top. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Mike Coletta
Old 04-01-2010, 07:37 PM
CoupeKeeper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My white top was also in good condition but old and dingy. I gave the dye a try and it worked fine (for my intentions). I dyed a white top white. I don't know how the black would do. You must let the top dry completely and cure before you put it down or it may peel. Ask me how I know....Give it a shot, the dye is not so expensive and your time is free.

Steve
Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

No!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrad
I have a 63 with a white convertible top, top is in very good condition. Is it possible to dye the top black?
Possible? Yes. Advisable? NO.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 61retro
I don't think that it would hold up. The vinyl dyes are for interior use, and probably wouldn't hold up in the weather. I've dyed some seats over the years, and while it's not perfect, it will hold nicely if you clean, clean, clean before you dye. The top would be exposed to the sun and rain, and I just don't think that it would work very well. Frankly, by the time you buy all of the stuff to do it, you would probably be better off just replacing the top. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Mike Coletta
with you Mike, I did it yrs ago it didnt hold up but stuff may be better into world of stuff. I put a new top on it after the 1st yr just look bad again or that it was done with something and started looking even worse. Mine also was white and kept it white.

Get notified of new replies

To dye a convertible top

Quick Reply: dye a convertible top