C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Electric fan

The only time I have ever had a problem with overheating was in a parade on a warm day. I wouldn't do it again unless I have a way of helping the air flow when I'm sitting still for extended periods.
I have thought about adding an electric fan that I can turn on when I see the temp go up.
Any suggestions?
Larry
Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a Derale in my 66, but it replaced the mechanical drive fan.

To get more amps at lower rpm, you need a higher power alternator.

Derale and Flexolite make smaller push-assist fans. If you don't have a higher power alternator, check the amp draw carefully, or you will end up running your engine at 1600 to 2500 rpm to get the rated (max) amps from your system. That will defeat the use of the fan in a parade, unless you are willing to let the fan run your battery down.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:21 AM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default ON my 62 = 14 inch FFD Cyclone Ultra electric cooling fan

On my '62 I have a 14 inch FFD Cyclone Ultra electric cooling fan that pulls 2600 CFM & keeps the car at 185 degrees in parades. It has an adjustable (pick the temp you want it to come on at) electronic thermostat on it (an optional item for $75 that I've mounted on the inner fender near the horn relay), so if the car runs cooler than 185 (which it does at highway speeds) the fan doesn't run. I still have my fan & fan clutch on my car. I taped all the wires in black, so they don't stand out.

I like it that it is a low profile fan and fits on the back of the radiator & in front of the cross support bar & I was able to install it without pulling the hood off. Some people don't like the orange cover, but I do - it matches the engine paint. It draws 9 amps at full speed per the literature, but I've never had a problem (2 years) & I run an old generator on my Corvette.

All told the package was $175 (fan & thermostat). I bought it on E-bay & there is one form the same seller on there now at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-IN...item19b4ea1fb1. So at least you can see what they look like. It comes with a lifetime warranty.

I wrote the sellers & asked about thermostats & they explained what they had, so I bought one from them, even though they didn't have any on E-bay.

I often run the fan after I get home and turn the engine off, so it cools the radiator & engine & I get less heat sink. It works great for me.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i have a/c in my 62 and use a pusher fan and a trinary switch to cool the condenser. when the a/c is running, the engine temp is actually lower than usual because of the additional air being forced through the radiator.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Electric fan

Quick Reply: Electric fan