C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Multimeter for testing Alternators and Voltage Reg.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 AM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Multimeter for testing Alternators and Voltage Reg.

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a quality Multimeter for the purpose of testing alternators and voltage regulators. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by MosportGreen66; 04-07-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Canute
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluke is pretty much the standard.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,513 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Canute
Fluke is pretty much the standard.
Yep. Fluke is the brand you want.

Jim
Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by MosportGreen66
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a quality Multimeter for the purpose of testing alternators and voltage regulators. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks,
Dave
Agree with the others on the Fluke meter. I have an older #73 III and love it. Cost about $150 with a lifetime warranty from Fluke. They have recently almost stopped the lifetime warranty.

If you can afford it, get the #87. Cost is about $300 or so, but this is the meter that the electricians and instrument technicians use in the chemical plants for all their work. Outstanding meter......and the only one (I believe) that still carries a lifetime warranty.

Go on-line and check out the Fluke lineup, and then also check the on-line discount houses for best price. Some places may still carry the #73 III. Also buy the zipper, vinyl case.

Larry
Old 04-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've used Fluke equipment since the early '70s and yes....they are the 'best of breed'....
(John Fluke invented a method of 'degaussing' Naval warships in WW-II to reduce their radar signature.)

Another old standby is a Simpson 260. Not digital but fused all to hell and nearly indestructible; they actually still make them: http://www.transcat.com/Catalog/prod...FUNb2godCwVqug. An analog meter is often better suited to spotting 'trends' in measurements over time than many digital multimeters..

I dropped one 20' from an aircraft wing onto a concrete tarmac and picked it right up and used it for another 8 years...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-07-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:07 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Default For a hobbyst

I use a cheap digital meter bought at Home Depot. It works just fine for as much as I use it. You are probably only going to need to test voltage and ohms to test the diodes. IMHO a $300 meter is overkill but that is just my opinion. My 89 year old father keeps telling me I should have an analog meter though, didn't know they were still made!!! The digital meters can sometimes mislead you(this has happened to me). Hmm, I re-read your post and you said "quality."

Last edited by mrtexas; 04-07-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes, I do buy cheap meters.....then they burn up or the display goes out or just plain quit working. I still buy them to keep in the car for trips or to loan out....and I usually get my money's worth.

However, my Fluke meter never leaves my tool box unless I am personally using it for a critical measurement or I don't believe what the 'cheapie' meter is telling me...
Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I've used Fluke equipment since the early '70s and yes....they are the 'best of breed'....
(John Fluke invented a method of 'degaussing' Naval warships in WW-II to reduce their radar signature.)

Another old standby is a Simpson 260. Not digital but fused all to hell and nearly indestructible; they actually still make them: http://www.transcat.com/Catalog/prod...FUNb2godCwVqug. An analog meter is often better suited to spotting 'trends' in measurements over time than many digital multimeters..

I dropped one 20' from an aircraft wing onto a concrete tarmac and picked it right up and used it for another 8 years...
Thanks for the info on the SIMPSON meter. I do also have an old analog meter that I occasionally use, but it's not a Simpson......they were the standard of the industry for decades and still can hold their own.

Larry
Old 04-07-2010, 05:10 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for all the info. I just picked up a Fluke Multimeter 115. I'm thinking this will be more than sufficient in testing alternators and voltage regulators. Anyone have one of these?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in August we took a lightening hit on the house, among the items damaged was our whole house stand-by generator.
When the electricians were leaving, one left his Fluke, ( the one that even measures Frequency).
I thought long and hard before I picked up the phone. Bill.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Another old standby is a Simpson 260. Not digital but fused all to hell and nearly indestructible;
Analog, only way to go for multimeter, everything except the ohms will work if the battery is dead.

Doug
Old 04-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I use a Vat 28 that checks the whole charging and cranking systems...just roll it around.....any one use it ?,
Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I use a Vat 28 that checks the whole charging and cranking systems...just roll it around.....any one use it ?,
I may have used something like that back in auto shop in the early 1970's, along with a Sun machine for checking the ignition system, and an old distributor machine for setting up dizzies, and a growler for checking armatures.

Doug
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 PM
rgs
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Analog, only way to go for multimeter, everything except the ohms will work if the battery is dead.

Doug
Analog meters suffer less from effects of buffering of quickly changing signals. The cheaper digital multimeters have integration times of almost 1/2 second. Any quick change in value is lost with these meters. Better digital meters have less integration time and the top of the line digital meters also have linear bar graphs to display the real-time value of the measurement.

The Simpson 260 is one great meter and I used them extensively when I was teaching introductory circuit analysis.

Not all analog meters will work with a dead battery, case in point, the VTVOM or Vacuum-Tube-Volt-Ohm-Meter, but how many people other than me have one of those sitting around the shop?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Great color

Originally Posted by MosportGreen66
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,

I've owned both cheapie & high quality meters and "you get what you pay for". That being said, if all you're looking for is to be able to read is battery & alt. voltage even the cheap ones are pretty good. After all, you can always double check the readings with another car.

I see your forum name is MosportGreen66, great color. I have a buddy that has a '66 BB Mosprot Grenn with green interior and it is one of the best color combos I'll ever seen. How about some pictres?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

As per the request. The car is an early production L72 rated at 450hp. Duntov, Bloomington Gold, Greenwich Concours d' Elegance recipient. Mosport Green / Black.

Thanks for all the help with the Multimeter,

-Dave
Old 04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

[IMG]http://[/I

MG] How about something like this? I have it on fleabay.

Get notified of new replies

To Multimeter for testing Alternators and Voltage Reg.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Multimeter for testing Alternators and Voltage Reg.