C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Edelbrock Carb Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edelbrock Carb Installation?

My father in-law was a car nut. He passed away this past fall before we could install the new carb we bought for the Vette. Now I'm trying to do it myself with out any assistance and I have ran into a snag. So I thought I'd ask the Guru's for some assistance.

I'm installing this on a 65 with a 327. The main question that I have is about the two vacuum ports on the front of the Edelbrock, and on the old carb it appears there were 3 vacuum hook ups.

I have the vacuum line from the distributor hooked up to the passenger side port on the edelbrock. I think this right.

I have one line coming from the exhaust manifold and one line coming from down below the engine. I'm assuming this is the vacuum from the transmission??

My question is: The vacuum line coming from the transmission, does it plug into the driver side port on the front of the edelbrock and if so can I remove the metal line from the exhaust manifold and do I need to plug that hole and with what?

Sorry I sound lost... but quite frankly I am.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Roger
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

the copper line from the manifold is for the choke, no vacuum involved. It's probably not used on the new carb depending on the choke. If there's a bigger port on the carb, it may be for a PCV. Pictures would be a big help figuring it all out.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Convertible65
Advanced

Ok, I agree pics would help. Let me see if I can get some and get them loaded up.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:49 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a 65 small block, all factory parts. I know it won't be the same as your Edelbrock, but perhaps the data below can provide some context on the purpose of each hose/line, and thus where you may wish to connect them.

1) The rubber hose that comes from under the passenger exhaust manifold, connects to a fitting on the underside of the factory air cleaner base.

2) The metal tube that comes out of the top of the exhaust manifold connects to the choke housing

3) The vacuum hose from the distributor vacuum advance, connects to the passenger side metering block on my Holley.

Not sure what your Edelbrock is like, but if there's a place to hook hose 1 to the very top of the carb, that may be OK since that's effectively how the AFB on my 62 is configured.

In the picture below, the black hose on the left side of the picture, is the hose that goes to the air cleaner base. The chrome line going up into the choke, comes from the top of the manifold.

Here's a broader picture

Last edited by 62Jeff; 04-08-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Bonos
Cruising

The tube from the manifold is a heat source for the choke.
The vacumn port on the passengers side of carb is ported vacumn.
The vacumn port on the drivers is continous full vacumn
You should hook the dist. vacumn to the drivers side vacumn port.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Driver's side is manifold (pre-emissions) vacuum.

This may not be the case for 1965 but on the 1967 there is a manifold fitting behind the carb for the Powerglide vacuum (and in this example power brakes as well).

Last edited by Paul L; 04-08-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

First let me say thanks for the replies. Second, sorry it took me a while to get back. I had to go out of town for business, etc.

OK one thing that I definitely forgot to mention is that the car is an automatic. So I'm struggling with the vacuum hoses. Here is how I have it set up currently???

Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Have not tried the current set up, but I wanted to run it past you guys first before I do any damage.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

The hose you have going to the metal tube that comes out of the exhaust manifold appears to be connected to a vacuum source. Originally the hose would have been connected to the air cleaner to help get warm air into the engine. I suppose what you've done would work, just not sure how well.

Additionally, you've got the metal choke tube on top of the exhaust manifold but going nowhere since the carb has an electric choke. You'll want to remove that metal tube and block it off. And once you do that, then the other metal tube to which you've got that hose connected, becomes useless.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:56 PM
vettegozzzz
Racer

This is a 65 with manual tranny. I thought the Edel was a plug-n-play, but found that I had to add a spacer to keep it from perculating, and change the jets and metering rods to lean it out. I do live at high altitude, maybe out of the box it would work in the low lands.

Last edited by vettegozzzz; 05-04-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 AM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

i believe you want the distrib vacuum to connect to the drivers side. where you have the hose from the exhaust manifold. plug the pass side
metered port where you have the dist now. the driver side is non metered and is full vacuum. plug the exhaust tube. you do not need it
with the elec choke. i am not a mechanic and if i am wrong some one will
correct me. best of luck jim
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Correct, vacuum advance goes on the driver side. You need to install a PCV valve inline at the oil fill tube. Your auto trans vacuum connection is correct. In the future, you might want to consider replacing as much rubber gas line as possible as a safety improvement. In the mean time, change the hose clamps on the gas lines to the screw type. Dennis
Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Lose the plastic in-line fuel filter - it's a fire hazard.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdk971
i believe you want the distrib vacuum to connect to the drivers side. where you have the hose from the exhaust manifold. plug the pass side
metered port where you have the dist now. the driver side is non metered and is full vacuum. plug the exhaust tube. you do not need it
with the elec choke. i am not a mechanic and if i am wrong some one will
correct me. best of luck jim
Jim- You are saying to plug off the passenger side port (with a cap)? and Switch the distributor vacuum line to the driver side port?

What about the tube coming up between the engine and exhaust manifold? It appears to be a vacuum line of some sort (maybe transmission) and had a vacuum line attached to the old carb? That's the part that is confusing me. As for the exhaust manifold (manual choke line) what do you guys recommend plugging this with?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Convertible65
What about the tube coming up between the engine and exhaust manifold? It appears to be a vacuum line of some sort (maybe transmission) and had a vacuum line attached to the old carb? That's the part that is confusing me.
That is the tube to which I was referring in post #9. That tube normally has the hose connected to the air cleaner, on my 65.
See picture - it's the rubber hose laying on top of the rear carb bowl.

The transmission vacuum line is, I believe, the orange line coming out of the rear of the intake between the distributor and the middle of the carb. My car does not have an automatic, so the lines coming out of MY intake manifold go to the heater (unique to factory A/C cars) and the power brakes).
Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Correct, vacuum advance goes on the driver side. You need to install a PCV valve inline at the oil fill tube. Your auto trans vacuum connection is correct. In the future, you might want to consider replacing as much rubber gas line as possible as a safety improvement. In the mean time, change the hose clamps on the gas lines to the screw type. Dennis
Dennis - Thanks for the tips on the gas line and clamps. I'm confused on the vacuum advance and trans vacuum. currenlty I think that the trans vacuum is plugged into the driver side port. Should I switch that to the passenger side and plug the distributor vacuum into the driver side?

Sorry guys I don't know much about engines and less about carbs.

Thanks for the help, you guys are great!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
That is the tube to which I was referring in post #9. That tube normally has the hose connected to the air cleaner, on my 65.
See picture - it's the rubber hose laying on top of the rear carb bowl.

The transmission vacuum line is, I believe, the orange line coming out of the rear of the intake between the distributor and the middle of the carb. My car does not have an automatic, so the lines coming out of MY intake manifold go to the heater (unique to factory A/C cars) and the power brakes).
Jeff let me take another picture I think I know what line you are talking about now. that line that you are reffering to above - on my car was actually plugged into the carb not the air cleaner. Hmmmm makes me wonder if it just wasn't hooked up incorrectly? BRB!

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock Carb Installation?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Lose the plastic in-line fuel filter - it's a fire hazard.
Never really thought about that. - Thanks.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Convertible65
Advanced

Jeff is this the trans vacuum line?

What the heck is this line?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Convertible65
Jeff is this the trans vacuum line?

I believe so, it is on a friend's 66

What the heck is this line?

That is the hose that normally connects to the air cleaner. A metal tube runs through the exhaust manifold. To the top of the tube connects a metal line that runs to the choke (that is the metal line with a brass nut connected to "nothing" on your car). To the bottom of the tube connects a "J" shaped metal line which then connects to the rubber hose your finger is pointing at. That hose connects to the air cleaner. When the car runs, the exhaust gasses heat the metal tube inside of the manifold. The top line carries hot air into the choke to warm it up more quickly, the bottom "J" line with the hose carries warm air to the carb.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Carb Installation?