C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

License Plate Screws

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 PM
JDeLuca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Screws

Bringing my 66 home from my daughters on Friday. Needs some screws to put the plates on. Wanted to know what size will work. Thanks, Joe
Old 04-17-2010, 08:13 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Unless you're going NCRS, just get a size that fits through the brackets, plates and frames. Suggest you buy all stainless hardware ONCE for the lifetime of the vehicle, maybe $10.

Last edited by sub006; 04-18-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I gotta tell you, on a self medicated Saturday evening, I had to read that title a couple o' times, Thanks for keepin' me on the ball.

Later this evening.....

Thanks for the correction, cheers.

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 04-17-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:57 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

The only vendor with correct NOS replacements is Pro Team. Last time I bought scfrews I believe they were a hundred a piece. I bought five in the event I lost one. Call me a stickler for details.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The screws are typically a very coarse thread sheet metal screw. Sometimes you can even find the screws and nylon inserts in the "Help" aisle at your local auto store.

However after 44 years there's no telling what type of threaded insert your car has, and thus the type of screw required is speculative at best.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
The only vendor with correct NOS replacements is Pro Team. Last time I bought scfrews I believe they were a hundred a piece. I bought five in the event I lost one. Call me a stickler for details.
Hundred APIECE? You got "License Plate SCREWED"!
Old 04-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
Unless you're going NCRS, hust get a size that fits through the brackets, plates and frames. Suggest you buy all stainless hardware ONCE for the lifetime of the vehicle, maybe $10.
Ditto on the stainless screws. I'm going to have to visit my local Fastenal though, I can't find any stainless ones that will work from my local hardware stores or Lowes. It's gonna be an oddball & I'll buy several when I do find them.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:04 AM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You not only need screws, you should have some classy looking frames for them. I've been using these for many years on all our cars. They are brass with a high quality chrome plating. The oldest set on my 71 has been on the car some 25 years and is still perfect.

They come packaged with these little chrome do-dads that cover up the screws. I use the screws and do-dads in all 4 holes for appearance sake, you normally only need two to bolt to the license plate frame.

I like the frames as they are a very clean look, metal not some cheap plastic,,,same size top and bottom, and are not covered with advertising or some message to tell folks that you are a member of Darwin's believers, save the whales, Honest Ed's Used Vettes, or remind everyone that the car to which they are affixed is really a Corvette.

I've seen other nice frames,,,there is a stainless one that is about the same shape as the chromed ones I use, that has countersunk screws holes(and uses countersunk screws that have a hex head so that they sit flush with the surface of the frame) in all 4 positions. They are about 30 bucks a piece,,somewhat hard to find, those who sell stainless accessories for automobiles is where to look, but they are out there.

Others will have their own preference, but a lousy looking frame can seriously compromise the creditability of any car (and its driver),,,,no chain types or flashing LED's puhleeze, so choose carefully for your great car.

I just used these pictures in another thread, I'll use them here to give an idea of what I use.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 04-18-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Seven, . . . . . . no, now eight comments on license plate screws????

Holey Moley!!! We've got to get a real life somehow!!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
Seven, . . . . . . no, now eight comments on license plate screws????

Holey Moley!!! We've got to get a real life somehow!!!!

Well, considering most here are so old they get excited at the "crack" of Dawn, it's no surprise that we'd go after something about "screws".
Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
JDeLuca
Advanced

Default Thanks

I did not mean to ruffle anyones feathers by my insignificant post. My car is at my daughters, about 50 minutes away from me. I painted my garage floor so I had my car delivered to her house. I wanted to go to the hardware store and pick up four screws to put my plates on so I could get my car home. I just wanted some idea of what type of screws to buy so I could put the plates on with out a problem. Thanks for all the help. Joe
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDeLuca
I just wanted some idea of what type of screws to buy so I could put the plates on with out a problem. Thanks for all the help. Joe
Later tonight I'll remove one of the screws from my 65 and post a photo of it for you.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by JDeLuca
I did not mean to ruffle anyones feathers by my insignificant post. My car is at my daughters, about 50 minutes away from me. I painted my garage floor so I had my car delivered to her house. I wanted to go to the hardware store and pick up four screws to put my plates on so I could get my car home. I just wanted some idea of what type of screws to buy so I could put the plates on with out a problem. Thanks for all the help. Joe
I don't think you ruffled any feathers, it's just not very often I for one at least have seen a post on the license plate screws needed for an early Corvette!! No offense intended, although you might take a look at the screws in one of your other vehicles.

I think Jeff's post below is the one you're looking for .v.v.v.v .

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
The screws are typically a very coarse thread sheet metal screw. Sometimes you can even find the screws and nylon inserts in the "Help" aisle at your local auto store.

However after 44 years there's no telling what type of threaded insert your car has, and thus the type of screw required is speculative at best.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Here you go. This is a screw from the rear license plate of my 65. It also is identical to the ones that were in my 62 when I got it in 1981 (and it had previously been parked since 74, so they likely are original).

You can see the screw is a slotted head screw with a sheet-metal type of thread. A penny appears in the photo to give you an even better feel for scale.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Those are impossible to get here in Norway so a fellow friend a forum member sent me a couple of stes that i have put on my car.
They came in a yellow box complete with clips, screws and caps for the screws.
They fit my car perfect. Made my dayGreat to have such good friends here on the forum I think the head of the screw
is smaller than the one on the pic above and it have white caps to put over the head on the screw.
The size on the screws is 12 x 3/4. Hope that helps.
The kit looks like the one on the link below but is in a yellow box.
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-49258-L.../dp/B000COCUX4

Last edited by TheSaint; 04-20-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:16 PM
JDeLuca
Advanced

Default screws

That will do it. A good source for stainless screws is a marina. Thanks for all the help. I will try to come up with a bigger problem next time!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To License Plate Screws

Quick Reply: License Plate Screws