C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

VettPacks Installed - Video!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:20 AM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default VettPacks Installed - Video!!

Finally got of my bum and installed VettePacks and Borgeson Power Steer Box.

Short vids of both setups here.
I think the mike in the video camera is quite directional. In the 1st vid, when I lifted the camera up higher, I think the sound recorded, is more accurate. Down low at the begining I think it is over amplified a bit. I will get a video of a good rark up on the local motorway soon.

2nd video - 1st half is up close and personal with the new Classic Chambered Vettepacks, then moves up to engine bay to show pump and pulley setup on Borgeson PS setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF9PJBcZDFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DaqsXDZWNU

Last edited by Nev Williams; 04-18-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nev,

Sounds great........did you do a cross-over pipe also?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Nev Williams
Pro

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Nev,

Sounds great........did you do a cross-over pipe also?
Yes
Main downpipes are 2.5"
Crossover is 2" set forward of sump well.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Nev Williams
Yes
Main downpipes are 2.5"
Sounds and looks really nice good work man.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Nev Williams
Pro

Originally Posted by robert miller
Sounds and looks really nice good work man.
Thanks Robert.
I tried to find a paint that would last, so visted a few different car forums to see what was being talked about and used the most. POR Manifold Grey seemed to have lots of good comments, so after a good sandblasting, that is what I used.
Those pipes have already done 1000 miles and look like the day I painted them. I don't know about you but I find it somewhat depressing painting stuff on a car, esp exhaust components and then seeing them go rusty and horrible in a very short while. So far I think POR was a good choice.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nev Williams
Yes
Main downpipes are 2.5"
Looks good forward. I did 2 1/2" behind the pan between the bell housing and transmission. Takes the bark sound out nicely.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice sound....now that's music....
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 AM
hardtime19
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a pair of vettpack inserts for my corvette a month ago and he still has not shipped them. He is way behind and claims to have a problem getting parts If you want inserts you might have a long wait
Old 12-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Nev, Man...that does sound good! Thought for you. Consider wrapping that crossover pipe with some heat barrier so the heat doesn't radiate back to the oil pan and heat up the oil.
I made a heat shield of aluminum with foil heat barrier on the exterior of my Borgeson system. Mounted it off the two top bolts of the box and extended it down between the box and the headers. Dennis
Old 12-29-2012, 05:45 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

How are these Vette packs installed? Do you cut out you existing side pipes? Sounds great!

Last edited by jtranger; 12-29-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds great
I like the rim and tire combo
Do you have stock trailing arms and what is size of rims and tires?
The backspace as well?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
How are these Vette packs installed? Do you cut out you existing side pipes? Sounds great!
http://www.classicchambered.com/clas...html#corvettes
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

This thread is more than 2 1/2 years old, Nev may not monitoring it anymore.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
This thread is more than 2 1/2 years old, Nev may not monitoring it anymore.
I took care of that lapse....sent him a PM. Dennis
Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Nev Williams
Pro

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Nev, Man...that does sound good! Thought for you. Consider wrapping that crossover pipe with some heat barrier so the heat doesn't radiate back to the oil pan and heat up the oil.
I made a heat shield of aluminum with foil heat barrier on the exterior of my Borgeson system. Mounted it off the two top bolts of the box and extended it down between the box and the headers. Dennis
Hi Dennis,
Bit surprised to see this old thread!!
Yes I have to wrap that crossover. It's well clear of sump and does not seem to heat up oil (check with IR gun) but probably some heat soak on switch off.
That video sound is using the fully chambered classic chambered. Still to noisy for my tastes. I have since installed the vettepacks with 20" packed & 20" chambered. This has toned it down somewhat, but still quite a drone at highway speeds.
Here is a short vid my mate took, down back straight (WOT) of our local track with 20/20 vettepacks.
I've been reading about muffling exhausts ( I know, I know .... a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing........anyway the next step is to install either/or a dead end resonator or inline resonator.
I can make the dead end resonator (Helmholz) adjustable at the end to try and tune the drone out but I think the frequencies they work at are on the high side and also quite narrow. So I think first off will try inline.
I've cut and hacked some short round resonators and added volume to them by making them oval. They will be stuffed with stainless mat and inserted in the straight run out to the sidepipes.

the inlets and outlets (2 1/2") are shown centred but this does not work - clashes with steering arm, hence new offset inlets/outlet plates shown. The little jiggle at each end is to keep resonator clear of chassis.
Could be wasting my time but enjoy tinkering - we'll see how it sounds- will post results if it turns out good.
Neville

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Sounds great
I like the rim and tire combo
Do you have stock trailing arms and what is size of rims and tires?
The backspace as well?
Stock arms rebuilt with 17x7 Torque thrust 2 with 4 " BS.
As far as I can see, this is about as big as can be stuffed under the rear guards without having to start cutting and grinding things.
With the new springs (mono in back) it has alot nicer stance - like it's sitting on it's haunches ready to leap !!

Last edited by Nev Williams; 12-29-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 12-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Man...that car sounds good at speed. Do you know what RPM you were at when you went by? Several years ago I drove a '71 coupe with chambered "underbody" pipes and the drone was too much. So I guess the coupe body plays a part in all this. My '67 has a warmed up SB with Hedman headers into factory side exhaust. It has a very different sound, more like a growl as I go through the gears up to 3k-3.2k rpm on each shift. I cruise at about 2.7-2.9 rpm most of the time on the highway and there is no droning. Dennis
Old 12-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Nev Williams
Pro

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Man...that car sounds good at speed. Do you know what RPM you were at when you went by? Several years ago I drove a '71 coupe with chambered "underbody" pipes and the drone was too much. So I guess the coupe body plays a part in all this. My '67 has a warmed up SB with Hedman headers into factory side exhaust. It has a very different sound, more like a growl as I go through the gears up to 3k-3.2k rpm on each shift. I cruise at about 2.7-2.9 rpm most of the time on the highway and there is no droning. Dennis
Dennis
Not 100% sure, I was focusing hard on the looming corner and as you can hear in the clip, not hard enough. I figure over 100mph. I have 3.7 rear so that would be over 5000rpm. Cruising speed is about 3000 (60mph)
I think part of the issue is the cam - Comp Cams Nostalgia Plus. Comp say it is based on L79 "with modern power" whatever that means. I figure it has more aggressive ramping than GM version and more inlet & outlet valve area open on the overlap. With the Trick Flow heads it cranks out great power though. Headers are just Patriot Blockhuggers type. Generally I'm pretty pleased with the way it goes.
I've just got one ****ling problem which is a bit of surging and stuttering at light throttle, low load, which I think is to much advance for the better burning TF heads. Mech advance may need shortening. Might start another thread on this and see what the wisdom of the forum has to say.
Nev

Last edited by Nev Williams; 12-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To VettPacks Installed - Video!!

Quick Reply: VettPacks Installed - Video!!