C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Headlamp switch repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:05 PM
kvndvs69
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The original headlight motor rebuild is quite easy and all the parts are available now in repro form. If I had known that going in I might not have done the Detroit Speed deal. Here is an article on rebuilding the motors.

However, the Detroit Speed upgrade is also pretty easy ... the new electronic headlight motors bolt in easily. The tricky part is replacing wires in some of the factory connectors and installing the electronic "brain" under the dash...
thank you this is going to be great I will try this first you are the best
Old 05-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rene-paul
Roll over switch carries FULL current to the motors. Pitting/arching on the contacts prohibits FULL current which will be slow or no movement of the headlight buckets. Cleaning and polishing the contacts will help and be the first step. IMHO.
Let us know.
Yeah but it wont last. The contacts are coated and once the coating burns off, cleaning will help, but its gonna be a regular thing to do.

Last year I finally broke down and got a new one at Carlisle, they ain't cheap, but the problem is fully solved.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

My headlights would go up but not down. After reading this thread I took the switch out of the car, took it apart and cleaned the two contacts (they looked like points). Put the switch back in the car and viola, they go down as fast as they went up. Just like a brand new switch. Thank you Corvette forum.

Quick Reply: Headlamp switch repair