C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Speedometer making noise!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Jorn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer making noise!

Hei again
My Speedometer and Tachometer are making noise? Are there a cure for that or should I replace them with new ones? Both cables are new and if I use a drilling machine instead of generator or Transmission its still making noise!Is it possible to lubricate or?
C1,1959.

Regards Jorn
Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

yes, coat the cables with a bit of white lithium grase from end to end, should make the difference
Old 04-25-2010, 07:04 PM
monkfunk
Instructor

My speedo made a terrible squeel, bounced around and then Croaked!! Didnt tear it back apart yet but it's not the cable.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM
jasmil
5th Gear

Needs to be removed abd professionally rebuilt. Try Harrison Speedometer in Jupiter, Florida.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If both cables are new I hope you lubed them before installation or else no wonder they are making noise. You can disconnect the speedometer at the back of the dash cluster and drop the cable and pull the long flexible piece that goes inside the tube out and lube it liberally (put a rag in the driver's side floorboard to catch excess lube. You can do the same (only easier) by pulling the tach cable off of the generator....

Lithium should work or you can buy some Kable-Eze at your local auto store (but its a little messier to use)..
Old 04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If both cables are new I hope you lubed them before installation or else no wonder they are making noise. You can disconnect the speedometer at the back of the dash cluster and drop the cable and pull the long flexible piece that goes inside the tube out and lube it liberally (put a rag in the driver's side floorboard to catch excess lube. You can do the same (only easier) by pulling the tach cable off of the generator....

Lithium should work or you can buy some Kable-Eze at your local auto store (but its a little messier to use)..
What about at C2? Same thing except pull the tach cable from dist?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by salty_waders
What about at C2? Same thing except pull the tach cable from dist?
On the tach cable there is a bulb like end on the dash side which prevents taking the cable off from the distributor side.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Jorn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Donald #31176
On the tach cable there is a bulb like end on the dash side which prevents taking the cable off from the distributor side.
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

I will try to lube both cables because I haven't done it before inst.
Thanks for all the reply
Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

there is one caution when lubing these cables. Only lube the cable to within about a foot of the Speedo/Tach gauge itself. This will prevent the migration of the lube into the gauges and gumming up everything.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

Was just about to post what Steve did. Bill.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer making noise!

Quick Reply: Speedometer making noise!