C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

need advice - distributor/rotor orientation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default need advice - distributor/rotor orientation

Here are the particulars.

1964 283 stock 4 barrel engine with a stock single point distributor. Engine has run well over the last few years.

The plug wires are in their proper orientation as is the distributor, rotor and cap.

I've spent some time installing the distributor, rotor and plug wires in their proper orientation. Disconnected the vac advance and fired up the engine. It ran like crap but it did run. I set the dwell at 30 degrees and checked the timing, which was well AFTER tdc, so I rotated the distributor counter clock wise and this is where the problem is....the vac advance can hits one of the intake runners when the timing is exactly at tdc. I can't adjust the timing to before tdc because of this interference. I think my rotor is off by one tooth, the question is: which way do I rotate the rotor? I think the rotor should be rotated back (counter clockwise) one tooth. Is that correct?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve59
..the vac advance can hits one of the intake runners when the timing is exactly at tdc. I can't adjust the timing to before tdc because of this interference. I think my rotor is off by one tooth, the question is: which way do I rotate the rotor? I think the rotor should be rotated back (counter clockwise) one tooth. Is that correct?
You're looking to move the distributor housing (and vacuum advance can) further clockwise to get the can away from the intake runner, and the rotor tip needs to follow the distributor rotation, so the rotor (mainshaft) needs to move clockwise.

Moving the mainshaft one tooth will move the distributor housing 28*; if that puts the advance can into the plug wire support, you'll need to pull the distributor and move the drive gear 180* - that will move the distributor housing 14*.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:19 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
You're looking to move the distributor housing (and vacuum advance can) further clockwise to get the can away from the intake runner, and the rotor tip needs to follow the distributor rotation, so the rotor (mainshaft) needs to move clockwise.

Moving the mainshaft one tooth will move the distributor housing 28*; if that puts the advance can into the plug wire support, you'll need to pull the distributor and move the drive gear 180* - that will move the distributor housing 14*.
No more needs to be said on this one.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:21 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
No more needs to be said on this one.
once again it needs to be stated just how great this forum is for everyone....i wish i had it 50 years ago when i tackled my first sb chevy re build and got frustrated with the dizzy install....the technology is sooo simple once you figure it out, and frustration turns to a pleasant achievement after you know what youre' doin'......jmho....
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

i called midyear today about this. good timing. i am confused. i thought
moving the distributor counter clockwise advances the timing. jim aka always confused.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jdk971
moving the distributor counter clockwise advances the timing. jim aka always confused.
Sounds like you're still confused. Counter clockwise on the distributor advances the timing.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Timing

i am confused. i thought
Moving the distributor housing counter clockwise advances the timing. Moving the rotor counter clockwise retards the timing. You need to lift the distributor until the gears unmesh, turn the rotor clockwise until the gears mesh again, and then just bump the starter until the distributor falls back in---or you could pull the distributor, turn the oil pump slightly clockwise and try to drop the distributor back in with the rotor 1 tooth further clockwise. A lot of guys are afraid to bump the starter with the distributor not engaged with the oil pump---they think it will jump time, but nothing will happen. When it goes around enough and lines up with the oil pump, it will simply drop in place.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 04-28-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks ron. jim
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

jimmy....counter clock wise advances the timing if you are moving the housing....did you get it fixed??...if not , call me and i will move my schedule around tomorrow to come over and fix that puppy up......
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by rongold
A lot of guys are afraid to bump the starter with the distributor not engaged with the oil pump---they think it will jump time, but nothing will happen. When it goes around enough and lines up with the oil pump, it will simply drop in place.

RON
Exactly how I do it...never had a problem and beats breaking your back leaning over the fender probing around with a long screw driver in the distrib hole trying to get the oil pump slot lined up!!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

frank go make big bucks so WE can spend those big bucks. i will get it
tomorrow. thanks jim

no problem no problem no problem no problem no problem..............
Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 PM
street62
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Turn the distributor against rotation to advance.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Thanks John. I'll try walking the rotor/main shaft clockwise one tooth. I've gotten pretty good at "walking the rotor" and getting it to align with the oil pump. Really don't want to pull the entire distributor to rotate the drive gear 180 degrees if I don't have to. Is that something that is simple and can be done at "home" or will I need to take it to a machine shop?

Last edited by Steve59; 04-28-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:33 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Turning the distributor gear

Originally Posted by Steve59
Thanks John. I'll try walking the rotor/main shaft clockwise one tooth. I've gotten pretty good at "walking the rotor" and getting it to align with the oil pump. Really don't want to pull the entire distributor to rotate the drive gear 180 degrees if I don't have to. Is that something that is simple and can be done at "home" or will I need to take it to a machine shop?
If you're mechanically inclined, it's a simple job. All you need is a hammer and a correctly sized punch and a solid surface to support the tail of the gear. Drive the roll pin out, spin the gear, and reinstall the pin. It's easy if you've done it before, a little scary if it's your first time, but there's ONLY 1 first time--After that it's simple.

RON
Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

George
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 AM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,170 Likes on 487 Posts

I had to rotate mine 180 degrees simply because I installed an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold.

Seems that the #8 runner on the stock 300 hp manifold sits much lower and is indented for the distributor, as the Corvette manifolds are and this is right where the nipple aligned. One tooth the other way and it hits the shroud supports.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by toddalin
I had to rotate mine 180 degrees simply because I installed an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold.

Seems that the #8 runner on the stock 300 hp manifold sits much lower and is indented for the distributor, as the Corvette manifolds are and this is right where the nipple aligned. One tooth the other way and it hits the shroud supports.
Classic example of why you take the gear off and rotate it 180*.

Get notified of new replies

To need advice - distributor/rotor orientation

Old 04-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Steve59
Drifting

[QUOTE=rongold;1573912413]If you're mechanically inclined, it's a simple job. All you need is a hammer and a correctly sized punch and a solid surface to support the tail of the gear. Drive the roll pin out, spin the gear, and reinstall the pin. It's easy if you've done it before, a little scary if it's your first time, but there's ONLY 1 first time--After that it's simple.

Thanks, Ron. Doesn't appear too complicated. But I think, since this was a passenger car engine and when it was built no one had to worry about ignition shielding or shielding supports, I may have a pretty good chance of having to rotate that gear. We'll see this weekend.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
If you're mechanically inclined, it's a simple job. All you need is a hammer and a correctly sized punch and a solid surface to support the tail of the gear. Drive the roll pin out, spin the gear, and reinstall the pin. It's easy if you've done it before, a little scary if it's your first time, but there's ONLY 1 first time--After that it's simple.

RON
You will need a 1/4 " flat punch to drive the pin out. At the same time you might shim the end drive gear to about .010" as well as clean and lube the weights and pivot points.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Houston, we have lift off.

Rotated the rotor one tooth clockwise, had enough room between the intake runner and the shielding bracket to set the timing to about 10* tdc. Dwell is at 30*. Didn't have to rotate the gear 180*. Life is good.

I do have one other problem before this old war horse returns to the road. I'm dumping a lot of gas into the crank case. I've started another thread asking for advice on this problem.

Thanks to all who helped me with this timing issue.

Quick Reply: need advice - distributor/rotor orientation