C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

turn signal switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:31 PM
drivette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal switch

Does anyone make a turn signal switch that actually works?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:01 PM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lectic Ltd was recommended to me by a forum post I did during my 64 total restoration and I was very satisfied with their turn signal switch assembly. Installed easy, made well and works great. They are probably the place to go for anything wiring related such as harnesses, battery cables, etc.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought one from a c2 supplier in NY last year and it lasted about a month before the left side brake and tail lights decided not to work sometimes...a wiggle of the turn signal lever and they would work...it became too annoying to keep wiggling the thing every time i wanted to turn or stop ...to make sure the lights were working so...again I went shopping...seems like most that I saw on line were exactly the same as the one I had...white plastic...made in china I believe.. Paragon has a made in the USA one..red plastic..so I ordered one...hope to have it next week and will install. fingers crossed. It is getting very frustrating dealing with these inferior products we are being sold at top dollar prices.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:49 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

What year car?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:48 AM
drivette
Instructor

It's a '61. I bought a switch from "Corvette Central" and it would not activate the right turn signal. I ended up taking the wires off the switch and, soldering them on my old one. It works, but for how long?
Old 05-02-2010, 05:21 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by drivette
It's a '61. I bought a switch from "Corvette Central" and it would not activate the right turn signal. I ended up taking the wires off the switch and, soldering them on my old one. It works, but for how long?
unfortunately, C1 turn signal switches leave a lot to be desired; basically you just have to live with it...

some people will say they never have had a problem and some will say they always have problems...
Bill
Old 05-02-2010, 05:35 AM
drivette
Instructor

Default Corvair?

OK, I guess I'll go with my new project. In searching my local salvage yard it looks like a late model corvair turn signal cup can be adapted to the c1 column. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:23 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

OK, I guess I'll go with my new project. In searching my local salvage yard it looks like a late model corvair turn signal cup can be adapted to the c1 column. Thanks for everyone's input!
if you can find a reasonable fix, you will be a 'hero in your own time'....

Bill
Old 05-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

My '61repro switch from corv central has worked flawlessly for a year or so...
Old 05-02-2010, 08:53 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

holy cows bill, a C1-C2 turn signal is simple to rebuild, try rebuiding a a pantera turn signal switch. those are crazy, there are NO parts avalible. the pantera switch not only does right and left, it does hi low beam headlights. the horn honks thruogh button on the end of the switch, they are insane to repair with no parts are available. i hate the multipurpos switch on my pantera, but after rebuilding it it works great. later....
Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 AM
drivette
Instructor

Frank, I guess C.C. changed venders. All I know is mine didn't work properly. The whole turn signal design sucks, so I am going another way. Larry
Old 05-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Frank, I guess C.C. changed venders. All I know is mine didn't work properly. The whole turn signal design sucks, so I am going another way. Larry
You can get sucky parts from the same vendor for sure...on forum members' advice I got a fuel tank sending unit from C.C. that was so crappy it was embarrassing and had to send it back and so I rebuilt the original....
Old 05-02-2010, 05:26 PM
hummiscorvettetaken
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster
I bought one from a c2 supplier in NY last year and it lasted about a month before the left side brake and tail lights decided not to work sometimes...a wiggle of the turn signal lever and they would work...it became too annoying to keep wiggling the thing every time i wanted to turn or stop ...to make sure the lights were working so...again I went shopping...seems like most that I saw on line were exactly the same as the one I had...white plastic...made in china I believe.. Paragon has a made in the USA one..red plastic..so I ordered one...hope to have it next week and will install. fingers crossed. It is getting very frustrating dealing with these inferior products we are being sold at top dollar prices.
I'm not sure its the product, its the engineering of the system. I gave up on mine after numerous attemps and now just stick my arm out the window. I have it positioned just right so both brake lights will work and I just don't touch it!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM
jolbermann
Heel & Toe

Default 1961 Turn Signals

I am having problems with mine, too on a car I just bought.
And the turn signal cup keeps sliding away from the steering wheel cup. Can someone tell me what is supposed to retain it in position? Maybe I am missing a part?
jolbermann@aol.com
Old 05-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by jolbermann
I am having problems with mine, too on a car I just bought.
And the turn signal cup keeps sliding away from the steering wheel cup. Can someone tell me what is supposed to retain it in position? Maybe I am missing a part?
jolbermann@aol.com
The turn signal 'bell' has a "lock wedge" that applies pressure to the shaft to keep the bell up next to the steering wheel assembly. If it drifts too far down the shaft the turn signals will not cancel. This is the item: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z5Z50000050x#
Look carefully at the picture on the left on the web page and you will see the wedge location. Sometimes they slide no matter how much you tighten them. I bought some of that rubber 'dip' from Ace Hardware, the kind you use to coat the handles of pliers, etc.. and dipped the part of the wedge that contacts the steering shaft into the rubber and let it dry...no more slipping...
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=47976388753
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 PM
jolbermann
Heel & Toe

Default 1961 Turn Signals

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 PM
drivette
Instructor

I believe it was Tom Parsons that suggested using a allen head bolt, replacing the phillips head, so it could be tightened better.

Get notified of new replies

To turn signal switch

Old 05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
jolbermann
Heel & Toe

Good idea!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:08 AM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've re-worked my turn signal & hub assembly based on threads here on the forum and it works great now. I did use a switch from Corvette Central but made sure it worked correctly & was centered properly to work both R & L signals prior to putting the steering whell back on with the pins on the back correctly aligned.

I filed the indents deeper and a tad sharper, on the cam so it would catch & hold well and still cancel correctly and I glued a piece of rubber (like innertube) on the lock wedge on the column side so it would hold well. I also put the allan head screw in the hub.

The forum was a great help in getting it to work correctly & it's been great for over a year.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Its always a good idea to jack up the front wheels and loosely put the steering wheel on before finally torquing it down. Exercise ALL the functions related to steering/lights/turning at this time. Turn signals blink, brake lights work, signals cancel properly and the switch centers so both sides of the brake lights work after a turn. THEN do the final assembly...

Quick Reply: turn signal switch