C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Refinishing/Restoring Original License Plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM
63redroadster
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Refinishing/Restoring Original License Plates

I just acquired a set of 1963 California license plates that I want to have restored. I am looking for recommendations on where to send these plates for restoration. There is a restorer in California that powder coats plates, not sure if I should have them powder coated or painted. If you have had your plates restored and would recommend your restorer, I would appreciate contact information. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Check the website for the American License Plate Collectors Association. They can put you in touch with several people who restore plates.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
C2Dan
Racer

Default Be careful if you want these plates registered as YOM

Originally Posted by 63redroadster
I just acquired a set of 1963 California license plates that I want to have restored. I am looking for recommendations on where to send these plates for restoration. There is a restorer in California that powder coats plates, not sure if I should have them powder coated or painted. If you have had your plates restored and would recommend your restorer, I would appreciate contact information. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
You didn't say that you want the plates registered under California's YOM program. But, if you do, please be aware that the plates will be inspected by a DMV employee. If they don't look original, they may be rejected. In general, it's better to have the plates inspected first and restored later.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 PM
63redroadster
Heel & Toe

Yes I am in the process of registering the '63 plates for my '63 Corvette. DMV inspected the plates and the application has been sent to Sacramento. Once I receive the official approval from Sacramento, is when I will have them restored.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 PM
investigator759
Racer

I had mine done by JEFF FORTECH in Tustin CA (714) 731-4465. He paints them and then hand paints the letters/numbers looks very good. My plates has a little rust and dents, Jeff took care of it. I then had them registered YOM to my car with no problems.....

Send me a pm and I will provide pictures..

Tom
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I do know that there is a guy not far from Charlotte NC that restores plates.

Get notified of new replies

To Refinishing/Restoring Original License Plates

Quick Reply: Refinishing/Restoring Original License Plates