C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Any free online videos of rebuilding a muncie?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Any free online videos of rebuilding a muncie?

Hello -

I'm looking for an online video showing how to rebuild (take apart and assemble) a 4-speed Muncie transmission. I have been looking for hours, but I don't see any. Most places want you to buy their DVD.

I'm looking to replace my syncros.

Anyone know what a reasonable price is to replace the syncros, if I can't figure it out...the rest of the tranny looks good.

One last question...If I tilt the tranny, oil will leak out the front shaft...is this normal? I have seen one video showing the front bearing, but I didn't see any kind of "O-Ring".
Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Forum member Plaidside has been developing an excellent site on a BW T-10 http://mysite.verizon.net/bizt2tud/ however it's not a Muncie rebuild.

Perhaps, push come to shove, there's something to be learned from Plaidside's site, that you could apply to your Muncie work.

Or, I could be waaaaay off base.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Forum member Plaidside has been developing an excellent site on a BW T-10 http://mysite.verizon.net/bizt2tud/ however it's not a Muncie rebuild.

Perhaps, push come to shove, there's something to be learned from Plaidside's site, that you could apply to your Muncie work.

Or, I could be waaaaay off base.
You know, it's really close. The Muncie will have a nut holding the front bearing to the input shaft, there will be no bolt that holds the rear bearing support on, there's a cage for the main shaft to input shaft bearings, and the 1-2 synchro hub does not have a snap ring on it.

I'll run the rest through my thinking cap to see if I can remember another big difference, but overall they are basically the same.

Okay he is working on a really old t-10 in the pictures, you will not have that torrington bearing in there.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Paul at Medatronics has a good video that can be purchased that is extremely helpful. I would suggest buying the special wrench that removes the "gland nut" on the input that Publy mentioned above. Paul has that for sale, too.

Very similar transmissions. I would also suggest, since you are taking the big step to pull it apart, is to look at everything in the case once you have it pulled apart. Use the T-10 tutorial as your guide. You may need to replace more than the blocker rings. Use only quality vendors like D & L and Medatronics. There are a lot of cheap imitators out there.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 05-16-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any free online videos of rebuilding a muncie?

Quick Reply: Any free online videos of rebuilding a muncie?