C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

500hp 2 x 4 WCFB ! (well almost)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Joe,
Now I know why you were asking about the oil filler cap decal. I think you ought to put it on the car, even though it isn't "correct" for a "270" motor. It will give the type A people something to pick at, while they fail to notice the Dart heads, the loud rumble, etc.

Jeff
Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jeff,

You got the idea, I think I might after further reflection. Two of my strongest (****) NCRS buddies want me to put the wash/oil sticker on the cap even though it is not correct for a solid lifter 270. They are more into deception than purity of NCRS.

Joe

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Joe,
Now I know why you were asking about the oil filler cap decal. I think you ought to put it on the car, even though it isn't "correct" for a "270" motor. It will give the type A people something to pick at, while they fail to notice the Dart heads, the loud rumble, etc.

Jeff
Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Did you use stock valve covers also?

Last edited by narlee; 10-03-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Joe,

(Actually, I'm kind of surprised that more owners of these early Vettes are not running big cube SBs, ie 383-427ci. But then, I guess I'm still much more of a hotrodder than I am a NCRSer . Frequently. when I visit the NCRS site, I read things that just make me hang my head and roll my eyes. For me personally, some of that stuff just takes the fun out of driving/owning one of these early pieces of Americana!)

Tom Parsons
Tom, You the man. I agree. I have had my "Dart Little M" since 2004 and love it. 395 ci, 4.25 bore x 3.48 stroke. It winds like an over sized 301/302 and makes big power.

Joe, you will like the engine. But my question is how did you get the manifold to cover the large ports on the heads?? I ran a Man-O-Fre 4x2 back in the day. I tried to put a 4x2 manifold on my Brodix heads and the head ports were larger than manifold exterior dimensions. My only option was to build up alum. weld and port the manifold to fit the heads. It does not matter to me any more because the guys I race with have stepped up their game and now and I can not give up the 50/60 HP and win.

Did you paint the heads orange??
Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

yes, the DART PRO 1 heads have a deeper trough around the edge, so the script valve cover sit nicely over taller valves and rocker. I had intended to use spacers, but no need.

Joe

Originally Posted by narlee
Did you you stock valve covers also?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Jim, yes I welded about 3/8 inch on the porting flanges to make a good seal. Again, I just use my wood rasp to shape and finish-off the weld...It looks 100 % like part of original cast.

I painted the DART heads and even rounded off the edges and put a 'diamond' on them. That was hard to take the die grinder to those beautiful DART heads. It wont fool a knowledgeable person but will be fun.

Joe

Originally Posted by vetrod62
Tom, You the man. I agree. I have had my "Dart Little M" since 2004 and love it. 395 ci, 4.25 bore x 3.48 stroke. It winds like an over sized 301/302 and makes big power.

Joe, you will like the engine. But my question is how did you get the manifold to cover the large ports on the heads?? I ran a Man-O-Fre 4x2 back in the day. I tried to put a 4x2 manifold on my Brodix heads and the head ports were larger than manifold exterior dimensions. My only option was to build up alum. weld and port the manifold to fit the heads. It does not matter to me any more because the guys I race with have stepped up their game and now and I can not give up the 50/60 HP and win.

Did you paint the heads orange??
Old 05-20-2010, 11:20 PM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Joe, congratulations on the results... this build has been a long time coming. I like your undercover way of doing things... I seem to recall the "right hand dipstick 283" you were running when we first met. I look forward to hearing about your trip and how you do on the track... just be careful the back end doesn't come around on you.

BTW, if your Team G intake is a #7530, it will fit under the stock hood with a black, GM drop base air cleaner. We run a #7530 on our 62 with the stock hood.

Too bad you won't be stopping by CFCI. Mei is flying in next Thursday, and would have liked to see you. I have a 96 hour pass for Memorial Day, and will be driving down from Ft Knox. We will be at CFCI Thursday night, and Friday during the day.

Good luck on your trip.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe,
How are dealing with crankcase ventilation with the old school valve covers and no spacer plate? Header tube?

DT
Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Originally Posted by devildog
Jim, yes I welded about 3/8 inch on the porting flanges to make a good seal. Again, I just use my wood rasp to shape and finish-off the weld...It looks 100 % like part of original cast.

I painted the DART heads and even rounded off the edges and put a 'diamond' on them. That was hard to take the die grinder to those beautiful DART heads. It wont fool a knowledgeable person but will be fun.

Joe
As we used to say, "Far out dude". Wood rasp, Funny thing, they guy I have been racing for 40+ years and I were talking about that word last weekend saying no one under 30 would know what that meant. Now, power planer, yes.

You now, sound like you could compete in our NJO C1 race series.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Originally Posted by NOM61
Joe,
How are dealing with crankcase ventilation with the old school valve covers and no spacer plate? Header tube?

DT
I tried everything to make a PCV work. No way at 7500 rpm. I went back to my old Edelbrock covers from tunnel ram engine in the 60s with the huge breathers. Just pupping down the street at low rpm it worked fine. But several passes down the track it would push a little oil out the filler tube. Works for me.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:37 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Strong numbers what comp, piston, fuel, spark I'm not sure you mentioned it..... The heads CNC ported from Dart ? Was that a solid roller or just solid. What type of lifters ? Sorry for the askings... Stewy
Old 05-21-2010, 02:42 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

NSRS. Is the preserving of an original classic Corvette. There is nothing wrong with a hotty and there is nothing wrong with an original. I just don't like to see a very good original turned into a hotty.... If it needs heaps of work then stuff a big cube and big wheels. I love both and respect the hours of labour in both.... My 2 cents worth... Stewy
Old 05-21-2010, 03:47 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

hi stewart. there is no way WCFBs can make 500.HP, they came in the early vettes. the AFBs came later, no way could they make 500 HP. . But the holley carbs (either the vac soncandaries or the doumple pumpers. 600, 750,780,800 or 850 carbs) could make 500 HP with the right engine build...
Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Merchon, almost 500hp is 494 close? It was hot and high humidity in Houston on Monday. If we had tweeked a bit we my have made 500 on my old WCFB's

Two WCFB's will flow 700+ total.

Joe

Originally Posted by mechron
hi stewart. there is no way WCFBs can make 500.HP, they came in the early vettes. the AFBs came later, no way could they make 500 HP. . But the holley carbs (either the vac soncandaries or the doumple pumpers. 600, 750,780,800 or 850 carbs) could make 500 HP with the right engine build...
Old 05-21-2010, 10:11 AM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I was trying to achieve BOTH...double the power and keep it looking original to the typical Corvette owner.

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
NSRS. Is the preserving of an original classic Corvette. There is nothing wrong with a hotty and there is nothing wrong with an original. I just don't like to see a very good original turned into a hotty.... If it needs heaps of work then stuff a big cube and big wheels. I love both and respect the hours of labour in both.... My 2 cents worth... Stewy
Old 05-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by devildog
Merchon, almost 500hp is 494 close? It was hot and high humidity in Houston on Monday. If we had tweeked a bit we my have made 500 on my old WCFB's

Joe
Just because you did it, doesn't mean it can be done
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Beg to differ. The WCFB's flow plenty of air to feed 500HP and did. The intake is the issue. We worked it pretty well...but it's still tiny.

Even the BSFC looked pretty good considering what they are.

Compression is 10.8. Fuel was 93 octane Chevron-no additives. We tried various timing settings and it was happiest with 36-37* total.

The heads are as cast, not CNC.

Originally we thought we would have to run valve cover spacers with an added PCV tapped into them. But the raised valve cover rails on the Dart heads allow the stock covers to clear the roller rockers.

Joe did some creative engineering and created a oil separator tube for each head. We drilled and tapped the rear of the heads and installed the tube. It will be nearly invisible unless you look hard.

This motor is tight and we used the one breather on the intake fill tube. We pulled it to 6600+ RPM quite a few times and it was clean and dry.

The cam is a solid roller that I custom spec'd for this setup. Spent LOTS of time with Comp's head cam designer (not Tech line) working out all the variations and issues with a decent flowing set of carbs, a restrictive intake, good heads and restrictive exhaust. That's a heck of a combination to deal with and lots of compromises have to be made to make it work the best you can. You really have to analyze what is truly going on in the cylinder and when it's happening. We studied many lobe profiles to get some that would fit the bill.

We'll detail it all in Corvette Enthusiast articles.

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To 500hp 2 x 4 WCFB ! (well almost)

Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

If you'll notice....the WCFB's aren't falling off even at 6300 RPM!

In fact...it was a little fat and we could have made more power if we spent the time to lean out the carbs a little. But we were happy there!

JIM
Old 05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Dont be sorry for asking. I just have to save some stuff for the Corvette Enthusiast magazine article. 10.8, pump gas, 37*, solid roller, heads out of the box. COMP lifters.

Joe

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
Strong numbers what comp, piston, fuel, spark I'm not sure you mentioned it..... The heads CNC ported from Dart ? Was that a solid roller or just solid. What type of lifters ? Sorry for the askings... Stewy

Last edited by devildog; 05-21-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:31 AM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Since the DART heads are taller, no need for spacer, I just tapped into the back of the head and used 'a bubble cap' oil/air separator (will show in magazine article) for a PVC system to the back of the front WCFB as per RPO 242 on 1961 California 270hp/283 cars

Originally Posted by NOM61
Joe,

DT

Quick Reply: 500hp 2 x 4 WCFB ! (well almost)