C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage Air Heater Hose Routing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:15 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Vintage Air Heater Hose Routing

Joe alerted me that my problem was not solved. If anyone could post pics of the heater hose routing for a midyear small block with vintage air it would be much appreciated.

Greg

Last edited by 54greg; 05-25-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Pics needed.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going to post some pictures of my routing but it seems you solved your problem. Don't make the same mistake I made and be sure to check the clearance of the hoses around the upper A-arm. Mine looked okay but apparently would rub when the suspension flexed. Eventually made a nice little slice in the hose ...

Joe
Old 05-25-2010, 03:43 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Joe,

The proximity of the heater hose to the a arm is exactually what I was concerned about. The way I have it currently routed affords little or no clearance for suspension movement. "PLEASSSSSE" post a picture of what has worked for you.

Thanks

Greg
Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

No problem... I still have my car (hasn't gone to the painter yet ). Engine compartment is wrapped in plastic but I should be able to snap a few pics. I'll get back to you.

Joe
Old 05-25-2010, 04:59 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

I forgot to mention that part of my solution was to create a small metal protector that wrapped around the hoses right where is passes by the upper a-arm. Nothing fancy, just a piece if light gauge metal that I fab’ed up to prevent the hoses from being guillotined. Bent the edges around so nothing sharp was around the hoses and painted it black. I drove the car for a while and the painted metal had not rubbed on the arm so it’s probably not needed …left it for good measure. It will be interesting to see if it still is in good shape….
Old 05-25-2010, 05:01 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Joe!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Hoses

I do not have pictures of the hose routing, but I used a product I purchased from NAPA. It looks like a spring with a 1/4" piece of steel welded to it. You put the hose through the spring. The spring allows you to bend the hose without putting a ***** in it. I used one on the 5/8" hose and the other on the 3/4" hose. This allowed me to bend the hose and use the stock clamps on the fender skirt. Hope this helps. Jerry
Old 05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Hey Greg, took a while to get myself organized. I had a difficult time taking proper photographs of the hose routing. It is pretty tight in there and I’m not satisfied with the pictures but it’s the best I can do. Hopefully you can see the general routing. Note one hose has the original makings, the other it a plain black hose (guess which one was cut and had to be replaced quickly). I have a stock hose clip just slightly ahead of the metal clip/protector. The metal protector sits exactly where the a-arm would meet the hose. Hope this helps.

Joe

Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow it so tight in there I don't see how you got the pics you did! That is just how I currently have the hoses routed but will now go back and include a shield as you did. I really appreciate the effort. When we go to the trouble of repairing our own machines and something fails, the slit in your hose, we all want to help others learn.

Thanks again,

Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air Heater Hose Routing

Quick Reply: Vintage Air Heater Hose Routing