C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Shock absorbers. Wich of these are the best?KYB GR or Delco?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Shock absorbers. Wich of these are the best?KYB GR or Delco?

I have ordered new shock absorbers for my 1964 coupe.
Wich are the best of KYB GR or AC Delco?
The price is almost the same.Th Delcos is about 8 dollars more.

Need advice of who to buy
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

The KYB may be stiffer and more sporty. The Delcos will ride nice but last perhaps 20,000 miles before they need replacement.

Classic red Konis give a great combination of ride and handling if you start at the softest setting. With five additional adjustments for wear (perhaps every 30,000 miles), they should last longer than you likely will own the car.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by TheSaint
I have ordered new shock absorbers for my 1964 coupe.
Wich are the best of KYB GR or AC Delco?
The price is almost the same.Th Delcos is about 8 dollars more.

Need advice of who to buy
None of the above.QA1, Koni,Edelebrock,Bilsteins, in that order.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Bilsteins, personally those are the one's I'd go with, they'll be some arguments there.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:05 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When C-3's (same chassis as our C-2's) were new one of the car mags (C&D or R&T) did a shock absorber comparison.

They could find no significant difference between the top brands. In fact, the differences were so small they tried to run the car with no shocks at all. The result showed enough friction damping in the system, that once again it really didn't make much difference. I can appreciate that with the advent of fiberglass springs, the friction damping in the rear is gone, so it will make a difference there. But with a stock spring.........

Anyway, their conclusion was, just by some name brand shocks..

Harry
Old 05-26-2010, 06:30 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had both on my car, and IMO the Delco's are hard to beat. Good handling, plus a slightly stiff, yet comfortable ride. The GR2's have a very stiff ride IMO.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
The KYB may be stiffer and more sporty. The Delcos will ride nice but last perhaps 20,000 miles before they need replacement.

Classic red Konis give a great combination of ride and handling if you start at the softest setting. With five additional adjustments for wear (perhaps every 30,000 miles), they should last longer than you likely will own the car.
sub006 is almost exactly right. konis are the best shocks, hands down. sub, the Classic reds are not near as good as the old "special Ds" used on F1 cars and nascars. i have several of the "special Ds" on my cars. they have no five settings, just 3 turns from stiff to super stiff, and the adjustment and shocks last forever...
Old 05-27-2010, 04:38 AM
Canute
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've taken some short trips with my car on GR2s and it seems fine. Stock except for 460s in the front.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:32 AM
AOS_L79
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 66since71
When C-3's (same chassis as our C-2's) were new one of the car mags (C&D or R&T) did a shock absorber comparison.

They could find no significant difference between the top brands. In fact, the differences were so small they tried to run the car with no shocks at all. The result showed enough friction damping in the system, that once again it really didn't make much difference. I can appreciate that with the advent of fiberglass springs, the friction damping in the rear is gone, so it will make a difference there. But with a stock spring.........

Harry
One of the scariest drives I ever made was in a vette with no shocks. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:05 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
None of the above.QA1, Koni,Edelebrock,Bilsteins, in that order.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 66since71

Harry
I love this, it made me smile. And I believe it, those steel springs create so much friction between the plates the have a hard time flexing. But still, I laughed when I read this.

Get notified of new replies

To Shock absorbers. Wich of these are the best?KYB GR or Delco?

Quick Reply: Shock absorbers. Wich of these are the best?KYB GR or Delco?