C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Roger Dean Chevrolet in Charleston, WV

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Roger Dean Chevrolet in Charleston, WV

It's not our Corvette but our 68 Z/28 was purchased at Roger Dean Chevrolet in Charleston, WV.
In 1971 the Roger Dean Charleston dealership changed hands and was re-named Tag Galyean Chevrolet. I have found pictures and information from that time period (when it was Galyean Chevrolet) but not when it was Roger Dean Chevrolet. Anyone have information on what they used to place on cars to advertise their dealership. A sticker, some type of badging or? And would love to find anything relating to the dealership like any old photographs. Contacted Roger Dean Chevrolet in W Palm Beach, FL and they are checking and have been extremely gracious. We are starting a professional restoration on the car and it's just neat stuff to know and have. Anyone live/check/help with the questions would be greatly appreciated.
Chick
Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 PM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts

I grew up in CRW in the '50's/'60's and remember both Roger
dean & Tag very well. Roger Dean used a script written name "Roger Dean" in chrome on the back trunk of most cars as I remember. I don't have one but I would be shocked if the other RD's couldn't come up with one for you. Good luck BTW, the car you see in the avitar was sold by their competitor in S. Charleston, Joe Holland

Last edited by wib1961; 06-06-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Chick:

I lived in Charleston from 1974 to 1980. I clearly remember Tag Galyean Chevrolet, but not Roger Dean. I belonged to SCCA back then, and Tag Galyean would let us use their garage for our monthly meetings. I also shopped for my 1978 Z-28 from them, but ultimely bought it from one of the other local Chevy dealers (ie. Okie Landers in Hurricane WV).

I did a search for Roger Dean Chevrolet and came up with a website that talks about the dealership and has some old voice commercials....don't know if you have seen it. www.mywvhome.com/seventies/tag.htm

It appears that Roger Dean was a large and well known dealership at the time. You can probably find some info from local library archives and old newspapers and phone books that the library (or someone else in that area) would still have available.

Larry
Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by wib1961
I grew up in CRW in the '50's/'60's and remember both Roger
dean & Tag very well. Roger Dean used a script written name "Roger Dean" in chrome on the back trunk of most cars as I remember. I don't have one but I would be shocked if the other RD's couldn't come up with one for you. Good luck BTW, the car you see in the avitar was sold by their competitor in S. Charleston, Joe Holland
Thanks for the info wib and I noticed you are a WVU mountaineer! Daughter graduated from WVU so I'm a full fledged "paid mountaineer."
Who might be other "RD's" as I'm not sure what the acronym stand for? Interesting about your car....

Originally Posted by Powershift
Chick:

I lived in Charleston from 1974 to 1980. I clearly remember Tag Galyean Chevrolet, but not Roger Dean. I belonged to SCCA back then, and Tag Galyean would let us use their garage for our monthly meetings. I also shopped for my 1978 Z-28 from them, but ultimely bought it from one of the other local Chevy dealers (ie. Okie Landers in Hurricane WV).

I did a search for Roger Dean Chevrolet and came up with a website that talks about the dealership and has some old voice commercials....don't know if you have seen it. www.mywvhome.com/seventies/tag.htm

It appears that Roger Dean was a large and well known dealership at the time. You can probably find some info from local library archives and old newspapers and phone books that the library (or someone else in that area) would still have available.

Larry
Thanks Larry! Yes, had looked at and saved the "mywvhome.com" thing but it only shows the Tag Galyean dealership. The voice commercials are Dean but I was searching for pictures as well. When I looked in archives several times I only found back to the 80's or pictures later but nothing related to the Roger Dean dealership. I did contact the Roger Dean Chevrolet in W Palm Beach, FL and an Internet manager has been extremely helpful and they are going to search their old archives.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts

Chick- Glad to hear about your daughter going to WVU. We Mountaineers need to stay together. The "RD's" I was referring to are the Roger Dean's down in Florida. There must be about 5/6 dealerships under that name (and related to the original I believe,because after Roger sold out to Tag he went to Fl. I think) down in Florida. Just Google the name Roger Dean.

Get notified of new replies

To Roger Dean Chevrolet in Charleston, WV

Quick Reply: Roger Dean Chevrolet in Charleston, WV