C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Horn blows and wont stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Horn blows and wont stop

Took steering wheel off to fix turn signals which I found my problems. Putting back on and the horn bloww. I took the horn brush, spring and sleeve out, put the steering wheel back on and it still blows.

I did not remove the horn contact ring. The only thing I can figure is the screws that hold the signal cancel cam on hitting the contact ring.

Well, it has me beat for the meantime. I will disconnect horn hot line and am going for a cruise.

Anybody know where I am messing up.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Curvette1
Safety Car

Received 182 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

That is a problem...kind of a funny one, but not to you probably.
Sorry.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are making some kind of ground in the column, that's the way the horn usually works. Somehow it's grounding itself. But you probably already know that. Good luck
Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet your neighbor could fix it! Sorry, couldnt resist and wish I had some advice for you.
Mike
Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 PM
C2Dan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
. . . .and it still blows.
And I thought I had it bad when I couldn't turn off the blasted wipers, on a dark road in the middle of nowhere, and they were violently hitting each other!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

My '67 Chevelle would do this every so often (often at the oddest hours). A little love tap to the horn relay and it would stop.

That said, as has been mentioned it sounds like something in your steering column is grounding out.

Between this and the one a year the starter / wiper motors stopping (again, a love tap would fix these for a year), seeing me as a teen trying to get every last drop of life out of the bits on the car was almost amusing.

That said, I always kept a spare cap and rotor in the vehicle. First rain of the spring and I would be on the road side doing a quick swap. BTW, a match book cover is almost perfect in a pinch to gap a set of points.

Nothing like driving an older car!

-- Joe
Old 06-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If like my 59, I would check the little "L" shape piece of metal that is part of the metal retainer with 3 screwing mounting holes. It serves to make contact with the plastic (with an inbedded bronze component) cylinder shaped cancel component that also serves to electrify the horn circuit when the horn button is pushed. If it is slightly distorted or bent, it will touch against the inside of the "bell" to which your steering wheel attaches. If touching just bend or adjust or move it over slightly so no longer touching.

It is a bit hard to explain. These photos though not showing the "L", does show the 3 hole mounting bracket, the "L" is affixed on the bottom side of this bracket.
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxrxrnr
If like my 59, I would check the little "L" shape piece of metal that is part of the metal retainer with 3 screwing mounting holes. It serves to make contact with the plastic (with an inbedded bronze component) cylinder shaped cancel component that also serves to electrify the horn circuit when the horn button is pushed. If it is slightly distorted or bent, it will touch against the inside of the "bell" to which your steering wheel attaches. If touching just bend or adjust or move it over slightly so no longer touching.

It is a bit hard to explain. These photos though not showing the "L", does show the 3 hole mounting bracket, the "L" is affixed on the bottom side of this bracket.

Thanks. I understand what you are saying but i can't even get to the point of putting the horn button retainer (or whatever its called) on.

I am going to get a new brush contact and housing. Mine is broken at the end but I tried to keep it from making contact with anything.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

When I replaced the turn signal switch and harness in my 65 a while back, I found my horn was also stuck "on".

I removed the newly-installed switch and found I had nicked the insulation on one of the signal switch wires, which was grounding on the column. Once I fixed the nicked insulation my horn problem was resolved.

Just another path to research.

Get notified of new replies

To Horn blows and wont stop

Quick Reply: Horn blows and wont stop