C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question on engine mounting angle

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:18 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Question on engine mounting angle

As you know, the intake manifold has a rake to it such that the carb base at the rear is higher than at the front of the intake manifold.

I would assume that the downward angle of the engine, when in the car, is such that the carb base is perfectly level, or parallel to the ground, ideally. Correct?

Now,was any extra angle allows for to accommodate additional rear end squat due to passengers in a rear seat, and stuff in the trunk?

In other words, when an unloaded car is parked, does the front of the carb sit just slightly lower than the rear of the carb to account for vehicle loading? if so, how much? What is the specified mounting angle?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 06-13-2010, 05:45 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Doug,
I would think that the engine wouldn't change as it is attached to the frame and any additional weight would lower the frame not the engine.
But I have been wrong on so many things in the past, I'm inclined not to think.
Rick
Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I believe intake manifolds picked up that forward rake to compensate for lowered driveshaft tunnels (lowered transmissions) starting sometime in the '50's. Older designs didn't have the angle on the carb pad until driveshaft tunnels started to get lowered when car chassis got lower to the ground. The chassis designs wouldn't allow the engine/transmission to drop straight down so they just dropped the rear of the transmission to get the driveshaft down and that allowed the tunnel to be lowered.

Engine swapping books recommended to place a level on the carb pad to level any new engine, front/rear based on the pad when installing a new engine in an old chassis.

I'd guess a level carb pad would be a good place to start but not absolutely necssary because as you point out, that angle changes when you start loading the car.

Last edited by MikeM; 06-13-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:34 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
As you know, the intake manifold has a rake to it such that the carb base at the rear is higher than at the front of the intake manifold.

I would assume that the downward angle of the engine, when in the car, is such that the carb base is perfectly level, or parallel to the ground, ideally. Correct?

Now,was any extra angle allows for to accommodate additional rear end squat due to passengers in a rear seat, and stuff in the trunk?

In other words, when an unloaded car is parked, does the front of the carb sit just slightly lower than the rear of the carb to account for vehicle loading? if so, how much? What is the specified mounting angle?

Thanks,
Doug
Doug:

On a quick read I thought you said a stiff in the trunk. Growing up in central NJ I never paid attention to trunk loads. Of course when I was in the Border Patrol in Chula Vista, CA I paid a LOT of attention to trunk loads.

Back to your original observation on engine angle. In my experience a level carb pad has always been the starting point. Now with EFI and dry sumps it doesn't matter so much. For a non EFI engine I would go with the level pad and pay attention to the oil sump being in proper attitude as well.

Rich
Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Hood clearance issues.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:23 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The design engine installation angle on midyears is 3*; on solid-axle cars, it's less than 1*, close to zero (horizontal) due to the close clearance between the bottom of the transmission tailhousing and the center "X"-member and reinforcing plate on the frame (which results in the terrible U-joint operating angles).
Old 06-13-2010, 08:05 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Doug:

On a quick read I thought you said a stiff in the trunk. Growing up in central NJ I never paid attention to trunk loads. Of course when I was in the Border Patrol in Chula Vista, CA I paid a LOT of attention to trunk loads.
:
Ha! In NJ, stiff in the trunk was probably right, on the way to Meadow Lands to bury it.

I was thinking that I should allow for an inch of settling at the rear for normal fuel and payload lowering, over dry, unloaded stance, for carb base attitude.

It sounds like it isn't that critical to carb operation, if midyears got 3* down angle and C1's got only 1* down angle of the motor.

Yeah, Tennessee for moonshine runners, I-5 for illegals in the trunk with bumper dragging.

I had to go through a grease trap on I-10 just west of Las Cruces last month, the BP agent started looking in the rear windows of my pickup, and the bed shell, and then when I told him I was on my way back from BORTAC, he immediate waved me through with a get outta here comment.

Doug
Old 06-13-2010, 08:12 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Hood clearance issues.
Actually, this is for the 327 going in the '37 Ford P'up project. I could stick a 6-71 blower or tunnel rum under that hood and still have room. I just picked up the 200-4R yesterday.

I think I will buy some 100 pound bags of sand or ready mix, and place them strategically on the frame to simulate body, bed,and fuel/passenger loads when welding in the trans mount bracket.

Doug
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

ALL of the engines we test are set at level in two planes. The dyno is also level. The connecting drive shaft has a 2* angle at the engine and dyno. This is done so the u-joint bearings rotate and prevents them from cupping and spauling.
These are usually 550+ hp engines, but have gone to 1200+ HP for special clients.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

For a mid-year, the carb base should be 1* down towards the front when installed.

Intake at 4* down towards the front.
Engine installed at 3* down towards the back.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:01 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Hood clearance issues.

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Actually, this is for the 327 going in the '37 Ford P'up project. I could stick a 6-71 blower or tunnel rum under that hood and still have room. I just picked up the 200-4R yesterday.

I think I will buy some 100 pound bags of sand or ready mix, and place them strategically on the frame to simulate body, bed,and fuel/passenger loads when welding in the trans mount bracket.

Doug
Doug,

I made the comment because there was speculation about the reason for the carb-nose-down-angle in the midyear Corvette................not your application. The reason was solely because of hood clearance limitations on the midyears with small block hoods. They finally had the right idea for smallblocks in 1966, when they began using a drop base air cleaner. They used the gained clearance to finally put on a decent, 3" tall open element air filter. They finally were able to go to a decent intake manifold (with an additional 5/8" of rise) by further increasing under hood clearance with the C3 and the LT1 hood/intake manifold.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I say level at standing. My carb still works fine when the wheels are two feet in the air.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll guess that the carb base is designed to be level at design load, which is with two 150 pound passengers and luggage.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on engine mounting angle

Quick Reply: Question on engine mounting angle