C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Composite Rear (mono) Spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:25 PM
DesertSpider
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Composite Rear (mono) Spring

Question, is anyone running a rear composite mono spring ?

Difference between: Muskegon, TRW, Hyperco, etc ?

I'm getting a Hyperco as a component of a kit from VanSteel, was wondering how it compares to the Muskegon / TRW springs.

It is rated 200#, will that be too 'soft' ?

DS

Last edited by DesertSpider; 06-17-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My 65 coupe has a 315# spring from VBP, along with the special rear shocks manufactured specifically for composite springs.

I hate it. The car has a bouncy-bouncy feel when hitting bumps.

I plan to go back to a steel 9 leaf spring in order to regain a more tolerable ride.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertSpider
Question, is anyone running a rear composite mono spring ?

Difference between: Muskegon, TRW, Hyperco, etc ?

I'm getting a Hyperco as a component of a kit from VanSteel, was wondering how it compares to Muskegon / TRW spring.

It is rated 200#, will that be too 'soft' ?

DS
My guess is that at a 200 lb rating it will be waaaaay too soft. I run a 330 lb rated VBP spring in my 63. I previously ran a 300 lb rated VBP spring in a 78 Corvette and it was a touch light for other than street use.

Most important part is pairing a set of shocks with enough *** to properly assist the spring; thereby removing the "bounce" that so many people complain about and run back to a steel spring.

Chevrolet has used composite springs in Corvettes for over 25 years successfully. I realize that the older suspension system is different but that doesn't mean it can't be improved upon.

I'm also a believer and user of poly bushings in upper and lower control arms. That doesn't make me correct in using other than a factory replacement rubber bushing in these applications but I like the way the poly tightens up the handling for me.

Rich
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I have never seen one that soft. I believe mine is around 300. It is a bit bouncy at times, but it put my stance exactly the way it should be. With the tired old spring the butt was sagging....
Old 06-17-2010, 07:30 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the TRW spring and gas shocks. 315 lb spring IIRC, maybe the middle one. No bounce. It seems that most people reporting bouncy have the VBP spring given the reports in the various threads on this subject. Maybe they're more sensitive to "shock tuning" than the TRW, don't know. The springs are different designs. Haven't seen the Hyperco mentioned before.

larry
Old 06-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

According the AMA spec for C-2 rear spring the stock spring has a rating of 140-163 lbs/inch. Most aftermarket springs have a higher rating and a harsher ride. Its really a driver preference but if it were me I would stick to the factory spring and vary the ride with shock absorbers that are adjustable. If the rear is sagging its usually not the spring but the rear spring cushions that have worn.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:40 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I have the complete VBP performance monospring setup on front and back of my car. The ride is somewhat stiff, but not unacceptable for me most of the time. BUT, I recently crossed some concrete span bridges where the sections were exactly the wrong spacing for the speed I was going. Each joint amplified the jounce of the preceding one. It was very uncomfortable.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM
DesertSpider
Pro

Originally Posted by redred65cpe
It seems that most people reporting bouncy have the VBP spring given the reports in the various threads on this subject.
Yeah, I recall reading about this extensively somewhere here, but could not find that thread (C2 & Rear Composite Spring).
Old 06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad
I have the complete VBP performance monospring setup on front and back of my car. The ride is somewhat stiff, but not unacceptable for me most of the time. BUT, I recently crossed some concrete span bridges where the sections were exactly the wrong spacing for the speed I was going. Each joint amplified the jounce of the preceding one. It was very uncomfortable.
And it would have been very uncomfortable with stock springing also. This happens on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel with my Eldorado, My Corvette or my Hyundai Sonata.

Rich
Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
My 65 coupe has a 315# spring from VBP, along with the special rear shocks manufactured specifically for composite springs.

I plan to go back to a steel 9 leaf spring in order to regain a more tolerable ride.
Jeff,

I had the same spring but it was a 330#. I know have a Eaton 3/6 9 leaf. It's better but not much. Don't expect too much, I don't think you can get totally away from the ride in a light car.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:59 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff

I agree - the composite springs are way too bouncy - I have the VBP spring on my '63 SWC and plan to replace it with a stock steel spring!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

I just removed a 315lbs. composite spring due to the harsh, stiff ride. I installed a stock 9 leaf replacement spring from Paragon. Much nicer ride, softer, smoother on the bumps. I have the Edlebrock shocks. I think a stock spring is around 195 lbs.

Dave

Last edited by DSR; 06-17-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to careful about a light spring. It may seem fine until you add a passenger, 100 lbs of luggage and a full tank of gas. An easy 400 lbs over just the driver.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 AM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the TRW in my '65 coupe. I don't know the rating because it was in the car when I bought it last July. It has no "bouncy" ride that I have ever noticed. The shocks are new but I don't know what kind, the spring/shock package is working just fine. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I have a 300# VBP rear spring. I thimk it has a nice ride and is not "bouncy". As Rich said you need the right shocks. I like the ride for around town and hwy. However, I spent the other weekend chasing some sport bikes through the back roads in WV. It is way to soft for sporting around. I kept up with the bikes but it was bottoming out allot!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 AM
vettegozzzz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the VBP suspension and it's great on smooth roads but too bouncy on most. I've tried all the ride adjustments. What shocks are recommended to tame the bouncing?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 AM
DesertSpider
Pro

There is another thread (fairly large one) that details this discussion (matching the springs, etc.) - I just can't find it.

DS

Get notified of new replies

To Composite Rear (mono) Spring

Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Paul
I'm using Spax. They are externally adjustable. The thing about ride quality is it's so subjective. What I think is good you may not be happy with. Below is a link to what I am using. I bought them in the US, actually locally here in Maryland.

http://www.spax.co.uk/classic_products-gas2.php

Don't forget tire pressure. Drop a couple lbs of tire pressure and drive it again. If it feels better drop it again. I run the highest pressure I can and still like the ride. Right now I run 32/30. But if I want to soften it up 30/28 makes a big difference.

Tom
Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM
BK N 66
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default fiberglass spring

i have the vette brakes and products 330# fiberglass spring.

it is absolutley perfect. my corvette rides like a cadillac nice and
soft and smooth. if u are getting a lot of bounce you are not running the correct shocks with your spring.

mine does bounce occaisionally if the road is extremely rough but it
is better and softer than my old worn out leaf spring that would jar
the fillings out of your teeth every time u hit a bump. the fiberglass
spring has a nice soft feel to it. a vas improvement over the old
metal leafspring. try a really soft shock with it and u will be very
happy camper. good luck.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BK N 66
i have the vette brakes and products 330# fiberglass spring.

it is absolutley perfect. my corvette rides like a cadillac nice and
soft and smooth. if u are getting a lot of bounce you are not running the correct shocks with your spring.
I have the VBP spring and their specially valved KBY shocks designed specifically for their rear spring. But what I have is a carnival ride, not a cadillac ride. I may have the wrong shocks, but I'm running the ones the manufacturer recommends.

To their credit, they have agreed to work with me to try different springs until I find one I'm happy with, but my energies are focused on the 62 right now, not the 65, so that will wait for another day.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 06-22-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Composite Rear (mono) Spring