C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Auto Lift s. Direct Lift and Best Buy Automotive

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 PM
fwillison
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Auto Lift s. Direct Lift and Best Buy Automotive

I'm deciding between two inexpensive entry level 2 post lifts. Best Buy Automotive sells the AutoLift brand for $1399, and the Direct Lift brand for $1499. Pretty similiar. I'm sure both made in China.

Anyone with experience with this company (Bestbuy automotive), and/or these brand lifts?

thx
Fred
Old 06-25-2010, 06:10 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Buy American!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:48 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by MikeM
Buy American!

How much is your life worth? With 1 1/2 tons hanging over my head,I would gladly pay a few hundred more for the security of a quality built unit. When it comes to heavy shop equipment, the choice is almost always American.

Germans,Italians,Scandinavians etc.. make some fine stuff. But it's out of most shops price range.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 06-25-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I've got a Direct Lift, 4 post unit that I'm well satisfied with quality and function. Direct Lift is owned by the Dover elevator folks and lifts are manufactured in an ISO 9001 certified factory. Their 4 post lifts are load tested as well, and are certified by the Automotive Lift Institute, not an inexpensive process.

I don't have any information on the Auto Lift brand, you might try a Google search.

Last edited by Ron Miller; 06-25-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Correct Spelling
Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 AM
fwillison
Racer

I'm all for buying American, and would gladly pay a few hundred dollars more. I was born in America, raised in America, served honorably in the US Army for 12 years and 2 wars, and I love this country and it's people.
The problem is, to buy an American manufactured unit is not a few hundred dollars more, it is a few thousand dollars more. More accurately, it is approximately double the price when it comes to home garage auto lifts. American made goods cannot realistically compete with that much price differential.
Either the Chinese made goods must be unavailable, much inferior quality, or the government must place a tariff on them to reduce the price advantage.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Fred,

Tried to send you a private message, but it says your folder is full.

Plasticman
Old 06-26-2010, 09:42 AM
silver67
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fwillison
I'm deciding between two inexpensive entry level 2 post lifts. Best Buy Automotive sells the AutoLift brand for $1399, and the Direct Lift brand for $1499. Pretty similiar. I'm sure both made in China.

Anyone with experience with this company (Bestbuy automotive), and/or these brand lifts?

thx
Fred
Mohawks are the best imo on a two post, but no where in that price range even used. I agree with the comments on the direct lift 4 post i have an 8 plus ran about 3K and can do plenty of work and i feel secure under it which is the most important feature.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:49 AM
fwillison
Racer

Originally Posted by silver67
Mohawks are the best imo on a two post, but no where in that price range even used. I agree with the comments on the direct lift 4 post i have an 8 plus ran about 3K and can do plenty of work and i feel secure under it which is the most important feature.
What do you think about working on a car on a 2 post vs. a 4 post with jack tray. Seems like a lot easier to work on suspension and undercarriage with a 2 post, but 4 post would be much nicer in that it is mobile (on casters) and doesn't really require any installation (doesn't need to be bolted to concrete floor).
So 2 post must be a lot more convenient for working to justify the downside.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

What do you think about working on a car on a 2 post vs. a 4 post with jack tray. Seems like a lot easier to work on suspension and undercarriage with a 2 post, but 4 post would be much nicer in that it is mobile (on casters) and doesn't really require any installation (doesn't need to be bolted to concrete floor).
So 2 post must be a lot more convenient for working to justify the downside.
For my usage, I like the convenience of a four post much more than a two post. Just drive on and lift it up, no arms to mess with, and nothing in the way of the doors when it's on the lift. My 8,000 lb. capacity Direct lift came with a jack bridge, removable stop plates for the front and rear, a pair of chock blocks, ramps that can be either removed or left in place when you're lifting, and two oil drip trays, all included in the price. And, as I mentioned earlier, it's certified by the Automotive Lift Institute to that load rating.

I also like the idea of all four wheels supported on a freestanding lift rather than having to anchor down a two post and have the wheels hanging. Should you decide to go the two post route, I'd certainly recommend that you check out the requirements for mounting the posts to the concrete. You've got to have adequate strength and depth to the concrete to support the posts, read the manufacturer's requirements carefully!!

I suppose it depends largely upon what your intended usage for the lift will be. For my usage, I prefer the four post, your move!!

Last edited by Ron Miller; 06-26-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added Comment re Stability
Old 06-26-2010, 10:57 AM
fwillison
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
For my usage, I like the convenience of a four post much more than a two post. Just drive on and lift it up, no arms to mess with, and nothing in the way of the doors when it's on the lift. My 8,000 lb. capacity Direct lift came with a jack bridge, removable stop plates for the front and rear, a pair of chock blocks, ramps that can be either removed or left in place when you're lifting, and two oil drip trays, all included in the price. And, as I mentioned earlier, it's certified by the Automotive Lift Institute to that load rating.

I also like the idea of all four wheels supported on a freestanding lift rather than having to anchor down a two post and have the wheels hanging. Should you decide to go the two post route, I'd certainly recommend that you check out the requirements for mounting the posts to the concrete. You've got to have adequate strength and depth to the concrete to support the posts, read the manufacturer's requirements carefully!!

I suppose it depends largely upon what your intended usage for the lift will be. For my usage, I prefer the four post, your move!!

Thanks Ron,

I intend to use it to do exhaust system replacement, undercarriage cleaning and detailing, suspension work (a arms, coil springs, etc.), as well as routine tasks like oil changes, brake work, etc.

What is the experience of members with doing this type of work on a 4 post lift?

Fred
Old 06-26-2010, 02:28 PM
silver67
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ron,

I intend to use it to do exhaust system replacement, undercarriage cleaning and detailing, suspension work (a arms, coil springs, etc.), as well as routine tasks like oil changes, brake work, etc.

What is the experience of members with doing this type of work on a 4 post lift?

Fred
Are you going to use it to store a car? If so get the four post. The only type of work that will be more difficult will be suspension work on a four post, but certainly not impossible. Both beat crawling around like a reptile
Old 06-26-2010, 02:40 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by silver67

Both beat crawling around like a reptile
That is for sure.

To the OP. I have a Auto Lifters (US made, no longer is business) two post. I paid about $2K for it. Surely, there are some competitive prices from other US vendors?

I do the same type work on my two post as you propose doing. It wouldn't be as handy for me to do it on a four post. Matter of fact, it might get downright tiresome.

If you buy the off shore stuff, pay attention to the quality of the cylinders, pump/motor and the pullies.

You can do some internet searching on replacement parts for the above and read some of the vendors comments about "cheap chinese" KO replacement parts.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check around. There are companies that remove lifts from dealerships and sell them. A friend bought a heavy duty 2-post Rotary for about $1000.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:53 PM
fwillison
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeM
That is for sure.

To the OP. I have a Auto Lifters (US made, no longer is business) two post. I paid about $2K for it. Surely, there are some competitive prices from other US vendors?

I do the same type work on my two post as you propose doing. It wouldn't be as handy for me to do it on a four post. Matter of fact, it might get downright tiresome.

If you buy the off shore stuff, pay attention to the quality of the cylinders, pump/motor and the pullies.

You can do some internet searching on replacement parts for the above and read some of the vendors comments about "cheap chinese" KO replacement parts.
Well, the best price I found for a 2 post is the AutoLift at BestBuyAutoEquipment.com, internet price $1399, $180 shipping to me. I'm thinking of buying a DirectLift, though, for $1495 (same vendor) since it is a known American company with plenty of good reviews on the internet, and they've been in business quite a while.
If anyone knows of a good quality American manufactured lift for less than $2k or so let me know.
I'm now just trying to decide between 2 post and 4 post. I'd like to get the 4 post, but I think it may hamper getting around the suspension pieces.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 PM
fwillison
Racer

Default Max Jax ?

Anyone have direct experience with the Max Jax? It was on Jay Leno's Garage, and looks pretty cool. Cost about $2K. Fully moveable and storable out of the way. Only downside I see is that it only lifts to 48 inches, so you have to work on a rolling seat rather than stand.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto Lift s. Direct Lift and Best Buy Automotive

Quick Reply: Auto Lift s. Direct Lift and Best Buy Automotive