C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How much clearance between headers and fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:22 AM
CrCrzy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much clearance between headers and fuel line?

I just installed headers on my 1963 Corvette. This is a restoration project and the body was recently installed onto the restored frame. The fuel line on the frame is a new reproduction. The end of the steel line terminates right about where the frame and engine mount towers are welded together. It might be the headers I am using but the distance between the headers and the fuel line seem pretty close. Does anyone have any pictures of their passenger side header and fuel line? How much distance between the fuel line and header is sufficient? Thank you.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I have Hedman headers into side exhaust on my SB '67. My #2 cylinder pipe is about 1 inch away, but I made my own heat shield and attached it under the bolt that holds the fuel line to the frame. It's been that way for 14-15 years with zero prblems. Don't be afaid to bend the end of the fuel line down some, or wrap it in some insulation or the combination of all three of the above. Dennis
Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM
CrCrzy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Dennis,
Not sure the exact dimension, but I am pretty sure it is more than 1 inch. I bent the line a little last night to give me some more clearance.

What did you make your heat shield out of? I am not sure what kind of headers I have. They are pretty old. They were 4 bolt square flange before I changed them over to the more common 3 bolt.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I used a piece of scrap aluminum laying around in the garage. If you don't have any, go to a sheet metal shop, duct work/AC shop. Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To How much clearance between headers and fuel line?

Quick Reply: How much clearance between headers and fuel line?