C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

6 Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by NOM61
If the point of NCRS is to promote restoration back to "as delivered" and 6 tailight cars were delivered to customers by an authorized Chevy dealership, then it seems like NCRS should award full points for 6-tailight cars that were dealer installs.
If it was delivered to the customer at the dealer that way then that should be the restoration standard, right?

DT
This is the NCRS Judging standard -

"Cars are to be judged to the standard of vehicle appearance, and as equipped, at the time and point of final assembly by the Chevrolet Motor Division of General Motors Corporation. Presentation for judging is to be in the condition normally associated with that of a Corvette which has undergone the then current standard Chevrolet Dealer New Car Preparation for delivery to the purchaser, exclusive of any dealer or purchaser inspired addition, deletions or changes".
Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 AM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
This is the NCRS Judging standard -

"exclusive of any dealer or purchaser inspired addition, deletions or changes".
Purists! Sheesh!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Fellow 6-Lighter Jim,

What about a GM design inspired addition?
(i.e., not dealer or purchaser inspired.)
Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

What if one of these many 6 tail light coupes shows up at an NCRS event?

They were GM design inspired.
Where did they all come from?
We know the factory did a few.
Who knows if these were factory done or not?
Not on the option sheet, but GM inspired this mod for sure.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:54 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NOM61
If the point of NCRS is to promote restoration back to "as delivered" and 6 tailight cars were delivered to customers by an authorized Chevy dealership, then it seems like NCRS should award full points for 6-tailight cars that were dealer installs.
If it was delivered to the customer at the dealer that way then that should be the restoration standard, right?

DT
The NCRS wants the cars to be as
at the time and point of final assembly by the Chevrolet
GM never made cars with 6 tail lights. Many dealers sold them as new, especially in California. In fact it was called the California option in the rest of the country. And many were put in afterward.

A lot of those on this forum do not consider the NCRS as the final say on all things corvette. Some of us, myself as a 60s racer, feel that the true corvette history as street and track racers should be preserved.

The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-24-2016)
Old 07-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetrod62

GM never made cars with 6 tail lights...
Except for Exec car for Chevy Boss Knudsen's wife

Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry N. Johnson
Except for Exec car for Chevy Boss Knudsen's wife
That car, like many other S.O. cars, was modified at GM Styling; it didn't leave St. Louis that way. The judging standard describes the car as it left St. Louis, plus normal dealer prep. That leaves out cars modified at GM Styling or at Herbie's Custom Shop.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

If you don't like 6 tail lights then you have to just hate that 67 back-up light. What's the story on that travesty?
I am pretty sure the feds mandated 2 bulbs for the brake lights in 67, and since GE was right down the street and had plenty of refridgerator lamp assemblies laying around............
Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That car, like many other S.O. cars, was modified at GM Styling; it didn't leave St. Louis that way. The judging standard describes the car as it left St. Louis, plus normal dealer prep. That leaves out cars modified at GM Styling or at Herbie's Custom Shop.
John,

Then it would appear that Bob Wingates 1967 FSO car is the one C2 that NCRS would judge correct for 6 taillights.

http://www.67fso.com/

On top of that, special paint, no front bumpers installed, American Mags, Goodyear Stickers, etc, or is there proof that those changes were done elsewhere after leaving St Louis?

Is the title of picture below a lie and needs to be corrected by removing "as delivered from St. Louis"?

The car as delivered from St. Louis. Old picture taken day before Thanksgiving 1966

How does the NCRS treat/recognize the rare styling change cars that were sold to public new or in case of Executive cars used?

Jere
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
John,

Then it would appear that Bob Wingates 1967 FSO car is the one C2 that NCRS would judge correct for 6 taillights.

On top of that, special paint, no front bumpers installed, American Mags, Goodyear Stickers, etc, or is there proof that those changes were done elsewhere after leaving St Louis?

Is the title of picture below a lie and needs to be corrected by removing "as delivered from St. Louis"?

How does the NCRS treat/recognize the rare styling change cars that were sold to public new or in case of Executive cars used?

Jere
Bob Radke, the current owner, has huge binders full of photos and documentation on the ex-Wingate car, but not the original F&SO letter describing exactly what was to be installed at St. Louis; the tank sticker has the F&SO number, but the letter that goes with it has never been found, so there's no way to document exactly which parts were or were not installed at St. Louis.

NCRS has a special category for these special cars with unique histories - the American Heritage Award, which this car achieved at the 2002 National Convention at Monterey in 2002, along with the Jim Jeffords "Purple People-Eater" and Kevin MacKay's '66 Penske L-88. Several cars qualify for this award every year.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:24 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

So the 64 concept was 6 tail lights?

Did the bean counters get in there and change that?
I say the '64 was gonna be made markedly cooler than the '63 with two extra lights, but they used the tooling money to remove the window split instead.

MY original plan would have caused '64-'67 split-window coupes with six tail lights. How much cooler to have your big block '67 hood stinger stripe continue unbroken from the top of the windshield to the tip of the boat-tail!

Fixing the blind spot would have been easy with two small mirrors side by side, glued to the inside of the windshield a few inches apart. Even in '63, SWC owners were doing this by buying a pair of stock Avanti mirrors from the local Studebaker dealer's parts department. AFAIK Avantis had the very first factory-installed "glued to the windshield glass" inside rearview mirror. Or was it Thunderbird?

After years of six-tail light excitement, the C3 and later series would HAVE to have come with six tail lights too! You see, following only three years of four round tail lights from '61 through '63, six had become an "Impala AND Corvette trademark".

Last edited by sub006; 10-25-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

What if one of these many 6 tail light coupes shows up at an NCRS event?
Many? Looks like three to me.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:38 PM
dejavu67
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Six tail

Dealer option=$100

With the reflection, you'll see twelve tails!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by dejavu67

Dealer option=$100

Herbie's Custom Shop option= $3000.00

Old 07-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

My '66 has had the six tail light setup since it was new too. With the original paint
I have never had the desire to change it. Besides, I have gotten very used to the
way it looks after owning it for 40+ years. When the T-bird had the articulated
directionals I had toyed with installing the electrics to do that with the coupe but
never got around to it.

Last edited by Revette; 07-09-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:28 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
John,

http://www.67fso.com/

The car as delivered from St. Louis. Old picture taken day before Thanksgiving 1966

Jere
I'd say no to the mags, race tires and stickers. MAYBE the stinger stripe extended over the roof was added before shipment.

And it's possible the two extra lights were added "out back" of the St. Louis plant. But since the dealer had been converting four-light cars into sixes for a couple of years, I'd think it was done after delivery like the others in the picture.

Front bumpers COULD have been left off. If the fender holes filled under the factory paint, I'd tend to believe it. Would have taken some time to fill the holes and touch up brand-new for '67 model year Goodwood Green paint that early (November 1966). I worked for a Chevy dealer around that time and it could be tough to get new-model replacement parts and materials through the GMPD pipeline for the first few months.

But looking closely at the Thanksgiving picture, it appears that chromed carriage bolts are in the bumper holes. Wingate's still around, someone needs to ask him about the possible "factory" mods

Last edited by sub006; 07-11-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Dealer option=$100

dejavu67

You are 6-lighter Club membership number 6!
Congrats!

Welcome to the light side.

Get notified of new replies

To 6 Tail Lights

Old 07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Revette
My '66 has had the six tail light setup since it was new too. With the original paint I have never had the desire to change it. Besides, I have gotten very used to the way it looks after owning it for 40+ years. When the T-bird had the articulated directionals I had toyed with installing the electrics to do that with the coupe but never got around to it.

Revette,

You are 6-lighter Club membership number 7!
Congrats!

Welcome to the light side.

LNJ
Old 07-12-2010, 01:39 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default can't get enough

Very popular way back when and way beyond three round lights.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
dejavu67
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Old forum thread

Dealer option=$100

BY THE WAY MY TAILS ARE SEQUENCIAL

FOUND THIS OLD FORUM THREAD..CHECK IT OUT!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-lights-3.html

Quick Reply: 6 Tail Lights