C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Windshield Retaining Clip Install Q

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Default C2 Windshield Retaining Clip Install Q

Question regarding the retaining clip install on a convertible windshield. I know they are attached with screws. Are there holes drilled into the frame for them? I don't remember them in my old frame and had a new frame installed when the car was painted...
Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Yes the holes are drilled, but i don't know what size.

jack
Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

It's also critical that the holes are drilled the proper distance back from the face of the fiberglass. Sorry, but I don't know the exact dimension, maybe it shows in the assembly manual, but I have my doubts.

Too far back and the SS molding won't engage the clips you install with the screws. Likewise, too far out and the molding won't pull up against the body and the rubber windshield gasket. They've got to be "just right".

Maybe you can have someone with a windshield out do some checking for you. The critical screw location is one reason that when replacing a fiberglass front end that the glass around the windshield is left in place and the front clip is cut near the windshield post.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

The Assembly Manual has the size and locations of holes.
The Convertible has 11 places across the lower portion.

This is from my 66 manual.
UPC 1 ASM Ref. F22 or page 103 to make it easier for you.

jack
Old 07-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Consider this...

after referring to the AIM for dimensional info, pop the 11 clips onto your lower reveal molding and space them out appropriately.

Then position the molding onto the car and tack down with masking tape. You can now mark your hole locations using the actual clips.

The clips (get the better Paragon version) have 3 click positions. Use the middle position for this dry fit.

After drilling your holes, test fit the molding to verify it seats flush on the cowl surface. If you need to relocate a hole, just move the clip a bit and redrill. Fill the unused hole with a dab of JB or whatever you prefer.

Don't forget the one clip on each end for the vertical reveal molding tip that dovetails onto the lower molding.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Clips

The body shop filled some of the holes on my windshield by mistake. I ended up making a template out of a piece of birch or maple and used that as an aid to drill subsequent holes. Jerry
Old 07-28-2010, 06:54 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Thanks guys!

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Windshield Retaining Clip Install Q

Quick Reply: C2 Windshield Retaining Clip Install Q