C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Part two; Charlotte and back to NCRS National in my '62 (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Part two; Charlotte and back to NCRS National in my '62 (PICS)

Sorry for the delay in posting part two, here is the link for part one for those of you who may not have seen it.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-one-pics.html

After a night of rain, so began day three in Asheville NC.
This was the scene at one of the two host hotels, after most of the other cars had left for a tour of the gardens at the Biltmore hotel.
The black ’62 behind mine belongs to John Maggiore of Louisiana. John’s Generator had crapped out, and he had just finished replacing bad brushes. Unfortunately that was just the beginning of the problems for John and his ’62 on this trip. I'll give a little synopses of his adventure at the end.

As we headed out of Asheville the rain just kept getting worse. We had to travel 155 miles to Monroe NC to our hotel and for a scheduled tour dinner that evening.

Now, I had previously gotten caught in the rain in my ’62 a couple of times, so I knew that it leaked a bit. Just to be safe I had packed towels and a bunch of dollar store shamwows.
Let me just say now, that I had absolutely no concept of how much water could enter unwanted into a C1 and from how many different places!!! I could have had a school bus full of little Dutch boys, and I still would not have been able to plug all the leaks in the dike!
On a positive note, fixed the problem with that blister that my gas pedal shoe was causing on my heal, had to remove the shoe altogether, water was just running right into it. (yes the trap was closed)

And then, just when I thought it couldn’t possibly get worse (never think that) , the driver’s side wiper and wiper arm decide that after 48 years of loyal service they were leaving! Yup, flew right off, whole assembly! Luckily it landed at the side/base of the windshield, and I was able to grab it and pull it in as I was pulling over. Also double luckily, no damage to the paint!

I had to keep driving, because I wasn't sure where we were going, and I couldn't get a signal on my phone. I was following Robert, and he was following this nice couple in a C5 who were going slowly (60~65) so we could keep up. Luckily I had quick detailer on my windshield so I could almost 'kinda see.
That is also about when the national weather service interrupted the CW station that I was listening to with an emergency tornado warning! (only station I could get, good to know that when you're really feeling beaten, there's good 'ole CW to drive the needles even further into your eyes).
They were naming off these counties in NC, and I was wondering if we were near any of them? A couple of minutes later at 12:25PM, they come back on and say that there is a severe risk of tornadoes forming in Lincolnton between 12:15 and 12:45. I had no idea where Lincolnton was, that is until I saw the sign a couple of miles later that said "Lincolnton 16 miles"! I kept trying to phone the others, but no luck, and I couldn't drive any faster because I couldn't see... Finally they pull off, and I think thank God I can warn them! That's also about the time that I noticed the "Welcome to Lincolnton" sign!
As they all pull in for gas (now five Vettes) I start telling them about the warning, but this lady comes out and says the storm just passed through five minutes earlier. We fill up and move on anyway, and sure enough on the news that night uprooted trees and busted up mobile homes in Lincolnton. Two twisters had touched down just outside of town, too close for comfort for this northern boy!

The rest of the trip to Munroe was uneventful but very wet due to the heavy rain.
That evening we had a dinner at Motorama Classic Cars, first time that I saw the whole Roadtour group together, quite a gang and quite a collection of cars.

Also saw one of these in the flesh for the first time, someone said probably the most photographed car on the tour.

Next morning we arrived at the ZMax facility to stage the cars for the drive over for the official welcome.

Here we are leaving the ZMax and heading to the host hotel to be welcomed.

Unfortunately I had some problems with my camera and I don't have a pic of all the event volunteers waiving and welcoming us as we arrive.
I can't say enough about how they bent over backwards for everyone in attendance.

Name your year and color

A little bit of sun gave me a chance to try and dry everything out (again)
Some may call it a grab-bar, but of course we the cognoscenti know that it's actually a towel bar used for the never ending task of drying the obligatory C1 towels.

Wednesday morning it was off to the NASCAR museum. To be honest, I had lost interest in NASCAR in the early seventies, but since Charlotte is the NASCAR epicenter of the universe, when in Rome...

A Real stock car driven by a real driver... Petty's '67 Belvedere.

Modern unidentifiable slab sided Econoline inspired car without skin. The safety improvement is of course a good thing, buuut...

For comparison sake, Chevy guys all know this one...

They were holding a press conference while we were there.

Later in the day, it was off to the Charlotte Speedway for some laps on the big oval. There were probably about 100 corvettes, so they arranged us in groups of ten by vintage (the cars, not the drivers ). Took a couple of hours before it was our turn, but it was well worth the wait.

We're up, Leon came along for the ride, his car was on the judging floor.

At speed; speed being a relative term of course compared to what usually runs here

All too soon and our laps were done... What a blast even in my old '62.

Next morning I was off on a neat little side trip to a town called Kannapolis to get my wheels balanced, I had thrown a weight and had a bad shake.
They take their stock car racing seriously in these parts!.

Towel City Retreads came highly recommended by several locals. They recap racing tires and have been owned and run by the same family for 75 years, they recap over 10000 tires a year! The owner has a '58, nice driver that he redid himself.

Some famous names from back when, and way back when.

Then off to the main event. I won't post a lot of pics of the cars because others already have.

The main area.

Stunning Lyndale/teal/teal '67, where do I sign...

I did two days of school, one day C2 and one day C1. The knowledge that the instructors have about these cars and how they were built is absolutely mind boggling. If only for those two days alone, the trip was worth it.

Who could resist this Sebring silver SWC

Thursday evening it was off to Hendricks Motorsports for a dinner and tour. His private car collection was amazing, but sorry we weren't allowed cameras. We weren't allowed in the engine shop, and you couldn't see much of the two car shops from the visitor areas, lot's of time in the reception hall and huge swag store.

Tiny little cam bearings in these NASCAR motors!

Well everything ended with the awards dinner, and then on Sunday morning the long drive home. Leon had planned on leaving on Saturday, and Robert left with him because his mother had taken ill. The car wasn't running well and I was a little concerned, but I had my cell, AAA card and laptop with all of you guys a few keystrokes away.

Ended up on a secondary highway in rural Virginia (don't ask) and then ran out of gas about 40 miles south of Roanoke. I had also run out of clean casual clothes, so I was wearing a gold Izod polo with the color NCRS logo on it, dressy pleated shorts and dress belt as well as boating shoes. I must have been an quite sight standing there on the side of the road in rural Virginia on that sunny Sunday morning with my gas can in hand, the Quebec plate on a shinny restored vintage Vette probably also helped me blend in even more seamlessly to my rural southern surroundings. Thankfully the first vehicle that passed stopped to give me a ride, a very nice fellow who said he owned an '02 vert, and as you can see from the pic, also a proud member of the NRA. I've never met anyone in Canada who owns a gun, except maybe when I was a kid and I met this cousin who lived bush in Northern Ontario, he said he had a rifle for hunting, I was ten and thought that was cool. My good Samaritan said he was on his way back from a gun convention, I thought it best not to ask what you do at a gun convention...
The gas station was only about a mile further down the road, the fellow even insisted on waiting to drive me back to the car! When I came back to his SUV with the full can of gas, I asked if I should put it in the back so as not to stink up his vehicle? He said I'd better not, as the back was full of guns. I thought to myself , well I’m probably one of the few living Canadians not presently incarcerated in a federal penitentiary, or in a biker gang who has ever had those words spoken to them!
We got back to the car and he waited for me to put the gas in and get it going, I asked very politely if it was OK to take his pic for my account of the trip? Needles to say, since you can see the pic and he apparently had a truck full of guns, he said it was OK.

The rest of the trip was relatively uneventful, but the car continued to run rough and the temp stayed around 210ish in the hot humid weather. Until halfway down to NC, it had never gone over 190ish

As I got farther up the I81, I began hearing what sounded like valve train noise coming from the left bank when I had the hood up. Sounded like a loose rocker or maybe sticking lifter, at first it came and went, but then became more regular.
I stopped in Scranton for the night, I was exhausted so decided to check it in the morning when the motor was cold. Here is a pic from the Hampton Inn parking lot near Scranton PA. In the morning the noise was gone, everything looked fine under the valve cover and it hasn't been back since?

In the mountains of PA and NY, always on the lookout for the ever present deer. Over 10000 incidents between deer and cars in PA alone each year!

Felt good to get to the border with the car running the way it was, still a couple of hours left, but the end was in sight.
Made it home fine, was damned glad to climb out of that car after a grand total of about 2400 miles!
I'd do it again, but next time the car would have to be running right before I left. I have also ordered new weatherstripping for the doors, I now believe that that is where the majority of the water was coming in.

Paul

Sidebar on John Maggiore and his '62:

John is one of the many nice people who I met on this trip, he had driven his very nice black '62 from Louisiana on the road tour. Unfortunately John had more than his share of bad luck this time out.
As mentioned above, first his generator crapped out, and then later the same day near Munroe, he completely lost his brakes! He had blown a seal on a rear cylinder, and had lost all hydraulic pressure. Thankfully he got the car stopped without incident, and then was able to replace the cylinder and get everything bled and working again. That night at the dinner he was presented with the "Blowout award" for most mechanical woes on the tour.
I wish that I could tell you that the bad news ended there for John, but I'll let him tell the rest.

"Bill, if you think I had bad luck on this year's road tour, look at the attached to see what happened to me on the way home. As they say, bad things run in threes. A lady tried to exit I-85 south of Atlanta from the left hand lane. I was doing 70 mph, she was doing about 35 mph, when she cut right in front of me, I was in the middle lane, and proceeded to the exit taking me with her. Fortunately, we did not hit each other, but I had to lock up the brakes and swerve to avoid hitting her. I spun around 1 1/2 times and ended up in the bushes on the side if the interstate. My wife says, I cannot take the '62 on any more road tours.
Minor damage: "A blown tire, a busted rocker panel and molding, and a cracked rear valance. Not to mention scratches on both sides and rear of the car. Could have been worse."
John Maggiore "

Thank God no one was hurt, John's saga reminds me of how vulnerable we can be in these old cars.

Paul

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 07-31-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Great writeup and pictures!
I enjoyed reading that. I salute those who drove all those old vettes on this trip.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Enjoyed it all, thanks
Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Nice write-up and pictures. I enjoyed it. These old cars can really make a road trip an adventure
Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Fawndeuce,

Really enjoyed your pictures and commentary. What an adventure (you can bet taking these old cars on the road, IS an adventure)!! Glad you are safe and sound. Boy, John dodged a bullet on I81.

Just curious. I know we don't own/drive these cars for mpg but what would you say your overall miles per gallon ended up on this trip?

Think you have a 5 speed right? What rear gears are you running?

Thanks again for your blog on this trip!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

Last edited by 6T5RUSH; 08-05-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Paul,

Great write up! Have you figured what was causing the misfire? I remember you mentioned the same thing at Wilton's last fall. Mine was a fouled plug on #7 cyl and a non-functional vacuum can.....
Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Enjoyed the pictures and write up also. I saw your great cars at the Zmax while I was there. You guys are the real hard core Corvette guys with the miles you put on them for the trip down. I thought my 4 hour of thunderstorms drive home in the 67 was an adventure, but I really appreciate you guys. Hate it for John backing the 62 into the bushes, glad he was ok and hopefully the car damage is not too bad. I like the NRA member with the collection of guns in the back. My kinda guy. Nothing wrong with being a law abiding citizen and being prepared.
BTW, talked with another group that drove bigblock midyears with 4.11's from South Dakota... You guys rule!!
Jeff
Old 07-31-2010, 05:18 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great pics and story, looks like an excellent venture, dispite the little querks.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Fawndeuce, Great story, intersting details and well worth reading every word. Thanks! Dennis
Old 08-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
Fawndeuce,

Just curious. I know we don't own/drive these cars for mpg but what would you say your overall miles per gallon ended up on this trip?

Think you have a 5 speed right? What rear gears are you running?
Thanks Jim and everyone else for all the nice comments.
Other than running stock sized radials and the elimination of the points, the car is dead bone stock restored. It still has the original Powerglide in it, we ran between 65~75ish on the interstates, RPM was between 2500~2800.
I honestly have no idea what my gas mileage was, we would make it about 2 1/2 ~ 3 hours between fill-ups. I don't think my right cheek could have gone any longer than that anyway, we were all happy for the break when we finally would stop.

Paul

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 08-01-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:34 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Garner
Enjoyed the pictures and write up also. I saw your great cars at the Zmax while I was there. You guys are the real hard core Corvette guys with the miles you put on them for the trip down. I thought my 4 hour of thunderstorms drive home in the 67 was an adventure, but I really appreciate you guys. Hate it for John backing the 62 into the bushes, glad he was ok and hopefully the car damage is not too bad. I like the NRA member with the collection of guns in the back. My kinda guy. Nothing wrong with being a law abiding citizen and being prepared.
BTW, talked with another group that drove bigblock midyears with 4.11's from South Dakota... You guys rule!!
Jeff
Exactly what Jeff said! You guys are troopers for driving it as you did. I was truely glad to be home after doing an out and back with Jeff. You have a great car it would have been nice to meet up with you but never saw you by your car.

The guys from the Dakota's definitely were hard core.

Dave
Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Well done Paul, lots of great pics. Your travel log brings back lots of memories of my drive home from L.A. via Vancouver in ten days, But.....I was 23 at the time! Don't know if I'd want to do it now. It was fix one thing, drive one day, fix another thing,etc etc. These days, after a couple hours driving anything, I have to exit the vehicle like a cripple person for a few minutes till everything loosens up again! Time flies.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM
'65 Fuelie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,

Thanks for posting that great account of you trip and all the great pics. Sounds like quite an adventure!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for the great photos and write up, it was very well done and very enjoyable.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:36 PM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this post (write up and puictures)... enjoyed it all.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:12 PM
JDeLuca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pics

Really enjoyed the pictures and write up. I am retiring at the end of this year and hope to particpate in a such a trip. Thanks!!

Last edited by JDeLuca; 08-05-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Paul,
Your pictures and write-up of the trip is very inspiring. I hope to take a trip in my 67 roadster from the Detroit area to visit my son in the San Francisco area next year.
Would love to do a Jack Panciza type trip of the lower 48 but lack the courage.
Thanks again,
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Part two; Charlotte and back to NCRS National in my '62 (PICS)

Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako72
Great writeup and pictures!
I enjoyed reading that. I salute those who drove all those old vettes on this trip.

Great Write up !
Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Now, I had previously gotten caught in the rain in my ’62 a couple of times, so I knew that it leaked a bit. Just to be safe I had packed towels and a bunch of dollar store shamwows.
Let me just say now, that I had absolutely no concept of how much water could enter unwanted into a C1 and from how many different places!!! I could have had a school bus full of little Dutch boys, and I still would not have been able to plug all the leaks in the dike!
On a positive note, fixed the problem with that blister that my gas pedal shoe was causing on my heal, had to remove the shoe altogether, water was just running right into it. (yes the trap was closed)

Paul
Paul, thank you for sharing....oh boy can I relate to your piece about the water leaks and the towels....I read your write up to my wife and she said it sounded all too familiar!!! Thanks again for sharing...
Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM
thread baron
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to psot the pics and write-up. Great to see these cars out on the road and people enjoying them!

Quick Reply: Part two; Charlotte and back to NCRS National in my '62 (PICS)