C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 02:13 AM
rumplestiltskin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 front suspension

Just a couple of questions related to a C1 front suspension rebuild;

Anybody dealt with Kanter Auto in NJ for front end stuff ? Good experience ?

A couple of Forum members responded to me a while back saying they had replaced their Vette front suspension crossmember like I did with a 1949 - 54 Chevy pass. car unit. When I order the front end kit, are the stabilizer links the same as well ? The kits are the same price and Kanter said they had no way of knowing. (?)

The shim between crossmember and frame is 1/4" thick aluminum as far as I can see. Correct or close enough ?

Thanks for any help that can be offered up !
Old 03-26-2002, 07:06 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: C1 front suspension (rumplestiltskin)

rumplestiltskin,

Can't help with that supplier as I got my kit from CC but the shims are tapered.

I believe it was an upgrade to do with the caster setting.

Mark.

[Modified by 59er, 5:08 AM 3/26/2002]
Old 03-26-2002, 09:08 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

The links for the Corvette stabilizer bar are much longer than those for a 49-54 Chevy.
As mentioned, the shims between the frame and cross member are wedge shaped (I believe they provide 2deg additional caster).
If you replace the Vette X member with a pass X member, it is necessary to drill 4 holes---2 in the very front for the steering arm bracket and 2 on the back for the brake line clips.
ANY 49-54 pass X member will work, but the 52-54 is a cleaner X member because the 49-51 X member has provisions for front top engine mounts (although the Vette fan shroud will cover these holes).
As far as the supplier of front end rebuild parts is concerned (Canter, Paragon, Corvette Cent, etc), I would suspect that the parts are probably made by the same manufacturer. What makes the real difference in how well the front end parts last is KEEPING IT GREASED REGULARLY. ALLLLLLLLLLLL of these front end parts are metal-to-metal, no rubber bushings at all, and they must be kept well lubricated. If you own a straight axle car, invest in a hand operated grease gun and buy grease tubes by the case. Yes, it is quite messy and you need plenty of clean rags to wipe off the excess each time you grease the front end. That's just life in the straight axle lane!
Old 03-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

When I rebuilt the front end on my '58 I bought all the components (except sway bar links) from Kanter. They fit perfectly and 1/2 the cost of the Corvette houses.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:33 PM
rumplestiltskin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the posts so far, I think I will go with Kanter as I found also that they were less expensive than the Vette places.
The susp. crossmember I used was from a 1950 Chev, so like you said I had to weld and fill the motor mount holes on top and drill for the third arm thing and brake line clips.
I guess if what I'm hearing is that the shim is tapered, it kind of rules me out making my own !! Bummer !
All comments appreciated. Drive on!
Old 03-27-2002, 10:11 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

If you don't have the shims, you REALLY need them. They are available from several sources and some people have stacks of used ones. Buy a set and be done with it.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 front suspension

Quick Reply: C1 front suspension