C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Brake pads...organic or semi-metallic ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:59 PM
bonadurers
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads...organic or semi-metallic ?

Doing some maintenance on the front brakes. I am resealing the calipers. Cleaning, inspecting and repacking the wheel bearings.
Just curious to what other people are using for pad replacement?
My car is a 1967. Thanks in advance for any info.

Best regards,

Jeff

"There's no substitute for experience."
Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Organic on my '66.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:45 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

organic are easier on the rotors and on your ears
Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Actually the stock pad material will work fine on Stock 67 Corvette disc brakes , not only for the street, but for any type of high performance work like autocross or even DE.......although there has been amazing progress in pad material since 1967, and I would personally upgrade to one of the many RACE pads for track work. The midyear Corvette brakes were MILES ahead of anything else at that time.....and I include both Ferrari and Cobra.....and even STREET Porsche brakes, altho RACE Porsches of that era still had the best brakes.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 PM
snydes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for organic.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Organic will do well for street and through low speed (below 70 mph) autocross.

Rich
Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I've been using the same set of organic pads that came in the Muskegon caliper kit I bought about 14 years ago. Literally...the same pads! They stop me just fine at 140+ mph on some pretty short tracks.

You have to think about what you're doing. I don't AutoX, I drag race and street cruise. That means my brakes don't get mega hot..but they have to work when I hit them cold. I don't have time to deal with a set of race pads that do nothing until they are warmed up well. You want them to stop on the first application for any street or drag car.

I will admit they are getting close to time to change them soon though!

JIM
Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

After the horrid noise semi-metallics made on my car, I'll never use anything but organic again. I was amazed when I swapped.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
I've been using the same set of organic pads that came in the Muskegon caliper kit I bought about 14 years ago. Literally...the same pads! They stop me just fine at 140+ mph on some pretty short tracks.

You have to think about what you're doing. I don't AutoX, I drag race and street cruise. That means my brakes don't get mega hot..but they have to work when I hit them cold. I don't have time to deal with a set of race pads that do nothing until they are warmed up well. You want them to stop on the first application for any street or drag car.

I will admit they are getting close to time to change them soon though!

JIM
Jim, you and Godholio really need to try some of the MANY different types of RACE pads available today. You will be amazed!!! Talk with Jeff Ritter, or any knowledgable brake engineer at Pagid, Performance Friction, Hawk, Carbotech, etc, or just call Andy Porterfield. Just tell them your usage and they will give you a pad for that.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I tried some semi-metallic pads on my DD 70 Vette back in the late 70's. They ate up the rotors rather quickly. Did not like how they stopped when cold either.

That put me off the semi-metallic pads for a long while. I know pad materials have changed radically since then (99% of the "organic" pads don't have asbestos any more).

Plasticman
Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Trust me....I keep up with brake materials pretty well. Performance Friction is a major supplier to my business and we have been involved in many brake lining and rotor tests over the years.

No doubt there are pads marketed as RACE...but those same pads are marketed for other applications also. It's called marketing. I come up with a good product and find the best and as many applications for it that I can. The various RACE pads have different properties which allow them to work better in applications that require cold stops...and other RACE pads work better under high heat. I mean look at a new Z06...the brakes work pretty well in hard conditions as well as being able to stop when Grandma jumps in your Vette to go pick up the grandkids. GM has to be sure of that. And we can buy pads with similar properties for our cars.

Brake pads are a compromise just like most other parts. You just need to narrow down the parameters you need.

JIM
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Brucets11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Took off the semi metalic due to noise and put on organic. Much better.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Whew, glad I stuck with organic when I bought some the other day.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Again, nothing wrong with the newer semi-metallics or hybrid linings.....they ARE generally much nicer to rotors these days. You just need to decide what you really need. Think about the use of the car.

Just like high $$ race tires....often great for the track....but on the street they can be terrible in the rain, have a short life, can be noisy etc. Just because you spend more money doesn't automatically make it the right part for your car. Of course I wouldn't want to go riding in the mountains with the cheapest parts store pads either.

In my case I do like the great cold stops, no brake dust or noise and nice long life of pads and rotors. I did start to experience brake fade once after literally 3 back to back 1/4 mile runs (and stops) with all speeds over 140MPH on each pass and never even shutting the engine off between passes. Right back to the line. It was taking a lot more leg pressure to stop it on the last pass...but it did stop just fine.

How many folks put their brakes to use like that on street cars?

JIM
Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Check out this pad you can contact me at 216-780-8825.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 PM
bonadurers
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input. I will try a quality brand with organic
material.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Hawk ceramic. Part Number: HB126F.505

I put these on the 03 Cobra and now have to clean the dust off the front wheels only once a week instead of every 3 days. The stopping power is noticeably better (cold or hot) than brand X ceramics or the factory pads and the rotors still have the factory machine marks on them after 2,000 miles. Little bit of squeak every so often, but it's hardly ear splitting.

These are made from similar to the material used on new car brakes. As cost conscious as the OEMs are, they don't put stuff on cars they don't have to.

Organics - belong to history with breaker points, flat tappet hydraulic cams, canister oil filters and T3 headlights (concourse restorations excepted, of course). Might as well use API "MS" service engine oil while you're at it (that was before the API "S" series grades came out in the early 70s).

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pads...organic or semi-metallic ?

Quick Reply: Brake pads...organic or semi-metallic ?