C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Former GM Plant at Dort Hwy & Davison Rd Flint MIch

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Doug C Young
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Former GM Plant at Dort Hwy & Davison Rd Flint MIch

I am just curious which GM plant was located at this address in Flint Michigan. I have been travelling past the empty lot where the plant used to be before being demolished twice weekly on way to Flint Auto Auction. Sure is a large mother of a empty football field.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 AM
0Virginia Vettes
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doug C Young
I am just curious which GM plant was located at this address in Flint Michigan. I have been travelling past the empty lot where the plant used to be before being demolished twice weekly on way to Flint Auto Auction. Sure is a large mother of a empty football field.
I was there last week visiting family. I worked at Flint AC Spark Plug that was at that site. We made 1,000,000 spark plugs a day plus instrument clusters. It is very sad to see 100 acres of concrete that was the plant floor.
Flint had the V-8 engine plant tore down,along with Fisher Body, Buick, Chevrolet on third Ave, and Turnstead (? sp). Flint had more than 80,000 workers in the mid 50's now have about 4000.
Now you see why all your Corvette parts are made in China. The factorys, machines, and skilled operators are all gone never to come back
Dick
Virginia Vettes
Old 08-13-2010, 10:06 AM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Corvette parts

I just took a tour of the [huge] Corvette plant during the" Corvette Homecoming" , I asked the tour guide " How much of the corvette parts are made in the USA", his reply was about 78% of the parts are made here in the USA. None of the parts are made[ in ] the Bowling Green plant , it is only a assembly plant. I also heard from someone else in Bowling Green that Delco batteries are made in Tailand now.
I must add that I really enjoyed the Corvette Museum and the plant tour and recommend that anyone having a Corvette visit them. Hearing the engine start up for the first time was great. The disc brakes rotors on the high horse cars are huge.

Get notified of new replies

To Former GM Plant at Dort Hwy & Davison Rd Flint MIch

Quick Reply: Former GM Plant at Dort Hwy & Davison Rd Flint MIch