C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61-2 VIN relocation - DMV

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 AM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NOM61
Arthur,

Your experience with NV DMV mirrors my own. I had one car with a screwed up vin on the title from Cali and they made me transport it to a Cali DMV to get it straightened out before I could register it in NV.
When I asked the inspection supervisor at the Decatur office about removing the original column in the 61 he made it very clear that under NV law I would be required to get one of those lovely assigned vin tags that you ended up with. Very nice guy, very knowledgeable and very "by the book". I think its just the result of living in one of the stolen car capitols of the US.
I might just say the heck with it and swap the column as advocated by so many on this board who live in states with a much more laissez faire attitude toward vehicle registration and keep my fingers crossed that a NHP officer doesn't ask to look under the hood during a routine traffic stop. What's the worst they could do? Impound the car and fine me? Might be an expensive cab ride home!

DT
Leave your original tag on the original column. Have a duplicate tag made with the same numbers etc and attach it to your new column. By the way do you go to cars and coffee here in Vegas on Saturday mornings?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by mashinter
John:

This didn't sound quite right. The residual pressure valve keeps the cup seal lip in contact with the cylinder wall when the brakes are released. If the lip seal isn't held against the cylinder wall, air can be introduced. It is the air in the system that can increase pedal travel. The residual pressure is not enough to overcome return spring force.

I got this from the Brake Handbook by Fred Puhn. This book was the bible when I worked in brakes decades ago

Bill
I don't disagree - both the cup expanders and the RPV prevent air entry, and the pedal travel issue can be a problem on manually-adjusted pre-'63 drum brakes; the pedal travel issue shouldn't occur on '63-up self-adjusting drums if the self-adjusters are working properly.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 32361ARTHUR
Leave your original tag on the original column. Have a duplicate tag made with the same numbers etc and attach it to your new column. By the way do you go to cars and coffee here in Vegas on Saturday mornings?
No I haven't made it to cars and coffee yet. Wrong side of town and too early for me on a Saturday! There is another cars and coffee type gathering at the old Century Sante Fe on my side of town that I'm planning to check out though.

DT
Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM
ruby62fuelie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN Tags on 61 vette

I had a 1961 vette that i purchased out of state (California) and drove it back to Oregon. On the way back i noticed the spot weld on the VIN plate on the steering column was working loose. I decided to go ahead and remove the VIN plate in fear of possibly loosing it! Once back in Oregon I took a couple of drops of glue and reattached the VIN plate back on the column in the correct place and took it to DMV and it flew right through, with no problems! I later took it to a welding shop and had the VIN plate spot welded back onto the column in its original place! Like it was mentioned before over and over don't get the DMV people any more involved than you have too! If you have to or pressed for time, drive the car to the DMV office, stick some gum on the bottom of the plate, have it looked at, doubtful if they bother to move the plate around to see if it is secured! Then find you a good welder in town and have it re-secured properly! Good luck...just use some common sense!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Put the darn original VIN tag on the column like Bill did in his picture and quit worrying about it. The DMV wieners won't know the difference. When I registered my '61 in Florida in 2006 the lady from the DMV walked out to the car and was looking for the VIN on the dash somewhere behind the windshield. I straightened her out about the proper location and no problems whatsoever.

Quick Reply: 61-2 VIN relocation - DMV