C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61-2 VIN relocation - DMV

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:57 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 61-2 VIN relocation - DMV

I had to go to DMV the other day so I stopped at the inspection station and asked the supervisor what is required if I were to replace the stock steering column in the 61.
He informed me that I MUST bring the car to the inspections station BEFORE touching the original column so that they can issue a new vin tag.
Their guidlines for placement of the tag are in order of preference:
1. ON METAL, in the driver's door frame/jam.
2. ON METAL, on the firewall
3. Appropriate location as determined by the supervisor. He specifically mentioned locating it on a visable portion of the frame, but said he would 'work with me'. I guess it pays to be nice to the DMV inspection guy!
This is of course for Nevada only, but I wouldn't be surprised if other states have similar requirements.
I forgot to ask what their opinion is on sectioning the old column to preserve the vin.
This is the one thing that has always bothered me about doing a r&p upgrade, so now I know!

DT
Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

this is where i put mine

Bill
Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The LAST thing I'd do is to involve the DMV bureaucrats in modifying the car; they don't have a clue, don't understand old Corvette VIN plate locations or attachments, and the LAST thing you need is to lose your original VIN plate and have it replaced by a state-assigned VIN on a mylar sticker that bears no similarity whatsoever to the original VIN. A state-assigned VIN is the kiss of death for resale value.

Just mount the original VIN on the new column like the photo in the post above, and the DMV doesn't need to know anything about it.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:05 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,768 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The LAST thing I'd do is to involve the DMV bureaucrats in modifying the car; they don't have a clue, don't understand old Corvette VIN plate locations or attachments, and the LAST thing you need is to lose your original VIN plate and have it replaced by a state-assigned VIN on a mylar sticker that bears no similarity whatsoever to the original VIN. A state-assigned VIN is the kiss of death for resale value.

Just mount the original VIN on the new column like the photo in the post above, and the DMV doesn't need to know anything about it.
I Absolutely, totally, completely, unequivically 100% agree!!!
I'm not intending to be rude, but I find it difficult to understand why anyone would even go ask!
Most of those guys are probably much younger than the car, don't have much, IF ANY, clue about the fine details of early Vettes (or even other cars) and if the transfer is done very carefully and looks factory, they won't have a clue.

Now, next, why are you replacing the column? Are you installing a later, more modern column, or does the original column have problems? If the original column has problems, why not replace the guts with new, or GOOD used guts and retain your original mast jacket with the VIN plate remaining in place?

Oh ya, and I don't understand an MG in the avatar on a Corvette site?????????????

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 08-17-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Now, next, why are you replacing the column? Are you installing a later, more modern column, or does the original column have problems? If the original column has problems, why not replace the guts with new, or GOOD used guts and retain your original mast jacket with the VIN plate remaining in place?

Tom Parsons
Tom
OP said he was considering doing a R&P install; one way or another, he needs a shorter column...
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 08-17-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I replaced my steering column and mounted the vin tag on the door jamb with slotless self tapping screws.

A few years ago one of the original rivets let go on the stock column and I was worried about losing the tag.

I wouldn't worry about an issue with the DMV or police.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM
NOM61
Pro

When I purchased this car (from Michigan) and took it for the required vin inspection for out of state vehicle registration/title, the inspector, who was in his 50's and is also the supervisor, knew EXACTLY where the vin should be. If that vin was not in the correct location I think I would have had a serious problem. He even went on at length about all the fakes that try to get passed off as real cars - i.e. Cobra kit cars, etc.
On the other hand, when I had to have a vin inspection at a CA dmv a few years ago on the MG, the 20ish girl doing the inspection didn't have a clue.
So it sounds like a game of DMV Roulette.
As long as you plan to keep your car forever or only sell it to someone in your state, you can get away with whatever you please.
I sure as heck wouldn't want a car coming back to me from another state because it wouldn't pass the dmv inspection.
And asking doesn't commit me to doing anythng! My question is why not ask? Its a no harm, no foul situation.
I wouldn't be SURRENDERING anything anyway. They would inspect to verify the vin, make the new tag and place it. I would then remove the columin INTACT WITH VIN PLATE, hang it on the wall and install the required aftermarket column for Steeroids R&P.
So how would having BOTH the original and an assigned vin (which would be the exact same number) affect resale?
I'm not going to answer the avatar question. You won't like the answer.

DT
Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 PM
vettedreamer50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine has a nightmare story about asking DMV something before he did it. Too long of a story here, but he had to get an attorney involved. He dropped the whole thing and just "did it" his way and it went through fine. DONT get those guys involved if you dont have to. Bunch of power hungry ignorant idiots. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by NOM61
When I purchased this car (from Michigan) and took it for the required vin inspection for out of state vehicle registration/title, the inspector, who was in his 50's and is also the supervisor, knew EXACTLY where the vin should be. If that vin was not in the correct location I think I would have had a serious problem. He even went on at length about all the fakes that try to get passed off as real cars - i.e. Cobra kit cars, etc.
On the other hand, when I had to have a vin inspection at a CA dmv a few years ago on the MG, the 20ish girl doing the inspection didn't have a clue.
So it sounds like a game of DMV Roulette.
As long as you plan to keep your car forever or only sell it to someone in your state, you can get away with whatever you please.
I sure as heck wouldn't want a car coming back to me from another state because it wouldn't pass the dmv inspection.
And asking doesn't commit me to doing anythng! My question is why not ask? Its a no harm, no foul situation.
I wouldn't be SURRENDERING anything anyway. They would inspect to verify the vin, make the new tag and place it. I would then remove the columin INTACT WITH VIN PLATE, hang it on the wall and install the required aftermarket column for Steeroids R&P.
So how would having BOTH the original and an assigned vin (which would be the exact same number) affect resale?
I'm not going to answer the avatar question. You won't like the answer.

DT
Do you think that the new tag really won't be different in any way, and that your title won't reflect a change of ANY sort to the VIN history of your car? I'd be worried sick that the second the original came off, a new state issued number would be applied.

You sound a lot more trusting than me. Too much potential for a misunderstanding between you and the DMV agent here. It definitely isn't a pandoras box that I'd want to go near.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think I would cut the chunk from the old column with the original VIN tag attached and weld it whole on to the new column if possible. Finish it real nice and take pics of the entire operation for doubters. And I would even save the original column with the hole for future evidence. Nobody could argue with that.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
NOM61
Pro

I guess the real question is, have any of you who relocated the vin on your own subsequently had it pass a dmv vin inspection either because you moved to another state or sold the car out of state?
I would like to preserve the existing column/tag so that any future owner could reverse the install if they so chose. Chopping up the column seems like a one way ticket to permanent resto-mod land. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not a step to be taken lightly either.

DT
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NOM61
I guess the real question is, have any of you who relocated the vin on your own subsequently had it pass a dmv vin inspection either because you moved to another state or sold the car out of state?
I would like to preserve the existing column/tag so that any future owner could reverse the install if they so chose. Chopping up the column seems like a one way ticket to permanent resto-mod land. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not a step to be taken lightly either.

DT
I would think that if you go for a new/relocated vin., they would want the old one. Anyway, I would like to know about the avatar. My second car at 17 was a 1957 MGA field car. $100. I put it back together and learned to road race and drift corners in it. That learning has probably save my life hundreds of times with the much higher HP corvettes. Pm me if you do not want to go public. Mine was also red.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

What would be the problem with taking the old column out and laying it on the shelf. Install you new column and forget about it. Who in the H is going to care?

If anyone wants to verify the frame number, they can do that, and you can take the damn old column with you to the DMV mounted in the trunk if you have to. Its still on the car, and has the original number plate. They couldn't dispute that.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

I don't think they would assign your vehicle a new vin number unless your old one was lost, stolen, destroyed etc. If/when they did issue a new "state issued" vin #, highly doubtful the new number would remotely resemble your vehicles original vin # as issued by GM. State issued vins are usually alph-numeric sequences issued by state's Dept. of Revenue to collect sales/property tax on (imagine that). The risk of having no tag present at all is if you happen to get pulled over by an officer who is knows where the tag should be ..and he/she asks to see it then & there to match the registration to. If its missing, they'll call for backup, flatbed the vehicle to the impound station where they can inspect the vehicle closer on a lift (frame, engine #s, etc.) and run a paper trace on it ..umm sometime that week.

Its all a moot point since you can keep your original column and tag in place, yet modify it to work with the new R&P setup. If you want to keep your original column intact and go with a ididit or Flaming River column and transfer the tag over, you can do that too with original style welds/rivets, but none of us here at the DMV office, police impound lot or Corvette Forum want to hear about it or know about it

Last edited by Viking427; 08-18-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking427

if you happen to get pulled over by an officer who is knows where the tag should be ..

Now that's a stretch. My bet is that 95% of beat cops couldn't even tell what decade the car was made in, much less know where the serial number was supposed to be.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wombvette
Now that's a stretch. My bet is that 95% of beat cops couldn't even tell what decade the car was made in, much less know where the serial number was supposed to be.

Agreed, but these days they don't need to know where every vin tag is located for every year/make/model, and they won't ask the driver either ..they'll return to their patrol car and access their database/network via laptop for that info. All it takes is reasonable suspicion for them to inquire/escalate if they wish to.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:46 AM
NOM61
Pro

vetrod62 wrote:
I would think that if you go for a new/relocated vin., they would want the old one. Anyway, I would like to know about the avatar. My second car at 17 was a 1957 MGA field car. $100. I put it back together and learned to road race and drift corners in it. That learning has probably save my life hundreds of times with the much higher HP corvettes. Pm me if you do not want to go public. Mine was also red.
It's nothing private or personal regarding the A in the avatar. I just didn't want to rile up the membership.
I own a red 58 A and the avatar is to remind me of what I think a sports car should be, and what I would like the 61 to be more like in terms of feel and driving enjoyment.
My first car was another Abington product: a 62 Sprite. That car was an accelerated course in practical mechanics, and was fun as heck to drive. I've loved vintage sports cars ever since.
I bought the 61 because I was looking for an all-weather alternative to the A. It had to be a pre-70 two seat convertible, have roll-up windows, a usable top that wasn't stored in the trunk (preferably with a hard top available), and a/c from the factory or readily available from the aftermarket. I also wanted to move up to six or eight cylinder power. Budget: 30-40k
I would have bought a driver quality BJ8 Healey, but I couldn't find any aftermarket a/c. In Vegas this is an issue if you want to drive year round. SL's seemed a bit too soft. Jags a bit too pricey and a/c looked like a Series 2 option only.
I decided on a mid-year Vette. My wife decided I wanted a solid axle.
In the interests of marital harmony I bought the 61. Long distance. Never having driven a C1. Yeah, dumb.
To say I was disappointed after the first drive would be a severe understatement. Adjusting the steering play made it "drivable" but not "enjoyable".
So that brings me to my long term project which is to insert as much "sport" as possible into this car. I have no interest in making it into a C5 with a C1 body though. I just want precise steering that actually has some feedback and a bit less "wallow" in the curves.
Sorry for the long winded reply. I tend towards diarrhea of the fingers.

DT

Last edited by NOM61; 08-18-2010 at 01:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 61-2 VIN relocation - DMV

Old 08-18-2010, 12:54 AM
NOM61
Pro

Originally Posted by wombvette
What would be the problem with taking the old column out and laying it on the shelf. Install you new column and forget about it. Who in the H is going to care?

If anyone wants to verify the frame number, they can do that, and you can take the damn old column with you to the DMV mounted in the trunk if you have to. Its still on the car, and has the original number plate. They couldn't dispute that.
I have no intention of driving a car without a vin in one of the stolen car capitals of the US. Just not going to happen however low the risk might be.

DT
Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

When I brought my newly purchased '61 to Florida for registration the DMV gal walked out to the car and I could have told her the VIN was anywhere and she wouldn't have known the difference. She bought off on the original steering column mount with no problem. She then asked me how fast I had gotten the car up to. Like I'm going to tell a state employee something like that. I just told her I always observe the speed limit.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Lots of interesting advice from people who have nothing to lose.

You are already aware of the applicable state laws, so no need to go there, other than to say you do not have a good legal option with the possible exception of cutting the original column below the VIN tag and leaving the part with the VIN tag in the car.

Removing and reattaching the VIN plate to another column becomes iffy, unless you are real good at spot welding thin stainless steel, or know a good friend that is. Your typical shop won't touch this job.

Relocating the VIN tag to another area of the car is just asking for trouble. If VIN tag inspection is required at any time, sooner or later somebody is going to figure out that the tag has been relocated. Their next call will be to the authorities.

There are even documented cases of people having their 53 to mid year 60 Corvettes (can't recall the actual years) impounded because the authorities refused to believe that Chevrolet would use screws to actually attach a VIN plate to anything, much less a high end car like a Corvette.

In reality, you will probably get away with whatever you do. My only advice is, if you decide on something that is not totally legal, stop talking about it.

Quick Reply: 61-2 VIN relocation - DMV