C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Monterey Historics Weekend And A Couple Of Interesting Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:24 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Default Monterey Historics Weekend And A Couple Of Interesting Corvettes

I just returned from the automotive ****-fest that is Monterey Weekend. Though there were not enough Corvettes present to garner a corral, check out this great looking, period correctly modified sitting in the parking lot at the track :

And then check out (inside the paddock) this interesting Sting Ray racer or at second glance, a topic of recent discussion, a 1965 FiberFab kit that was really well done :

I had a really great, yet at times, overwhelming experience at all of the car happenings around the peninsula and it appears as though my $8k bid on the '57 Ferrari Testarossa was just shy of the $10.7 million dollar bid. Back to my rental car !

And as a great aside, post Monterey and into San Francisco to meet up with Forum members Astrodokk and Mechron who were both kind enough to drive down from Santa Rosa to meet this tourist and drag him to Tommy's Joynt for dinner and The Cliff House for a few late night cocktails.
That wound up being just as much fun as drooling over the occasional Miura ....

Ray
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

I love the concept of the Red Roadster. In fact that is the direction that our 65 is going, including the Lucs Flam Throwers.

Mark
Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Moto One
I love the concept of the Red Roadster. In fact that is the direction that our 65 is going, including the Lucs Flam Throwers.

Mark
Ha ! That's what headed me straight to this car, I think that it had a great '50's rallye car look to it. Even though it had some modern modified rally wheels, the old style header dumps out the side looked terrific. I just wish that I had been there to hear it fire up.

Ray
Old 08-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Silver62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from the automotive ****-fest that is Monterey Weekend. Though there were not enough Corvettes present to garner a corral, check out this great looking, period correctly modified sitting in the parking lot at the track :

Check out the thread in the Northern Calif. section...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nort...s-reunion.html

We had 33 Corvettes in the Corvette Corral at the fence between turns 5 and 6, including Reeves Callaway, 3 of his cars, and a Lingenfelter Corvette too!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:47 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Silver62

We had 33 Corvettes in the Corvette Corral at the fence between turns 5 and 6, including Reeves Callaway, 3 of his cars, and a Lingenfelter Corvette too!
There was a Corvette Corral ? Nobody calls me anymore !

Ray (at turn 3)
Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ray,
Next year you should peruse the Northern California section and gleen any info from there. That's where I heard about the corral, but it was rather sketchy about if there were going to be enough cars to meet the minimum for a corral.
Anyway, I went on a poker run, so I couldn't make it. But it was sure fun to meet you on Sunday in San Francisco. Turbocat called me tonight to say that he's coming over Saturday to tell me in person how disappointed he is that we didn't tell him we were meeting you, but I didn't know you guys had met before. Next time! (Actually, he's got his car running now and wants to show it off).
Ray, even if I don't make it to Monterey next year, if you go, let's meet again...it was a blast, albeit just a very short meet.
By the way, Ron didn't remember anything the next day when I called him.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:07 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Always great to see a resurrected Fiber Fab Centurion. My only nit-picks are it should have six tail lights without chrome surrounds to match the original '59 Sting Ray.

But I'd happily take it as is!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Oh there were a few Corvettes in and around the whole Monterey weekend...

Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
Ray,

Anyway, I went on a poker run, so I couldn't make it. But it was sure fun to meet you on Sunday in San Francisco. Turbocat called me tonight to say that he's coming over Saturday to tell me in person how disappointed he is that we didn't tell him we were meeting you, but I didn't know you guys had met before. Next time! (Actually, he's got his car running now and wants to show it off).
Ray, even if I don't make it to Monterey next year, if you go, let's meet again...it was a blast, albeit just a very short meet.
By the way, Ron didn't remember anything the next day when I called him.
Chuck (Turbocat) is local to you guys ? We gotta organize in advance next time. I understand that Kensmith is not too far from SF and I also understand that after 11 years of shopping, he finally purchased a midyear .

Ray

p.s. And as for Ron, that boy really loves his Drambuie ....

Get notified of new replies

To Monterey Historics Weekend And A Couple Of Interesting Corvettes

Quick Reply: Monterey Historics Weekend And A Couple Of Interesting Corvettes