C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Reverse Lock Out Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:17 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Reverse Lock Out Question

On a 67 Vette the reverse lock out lever is pulled up to enable the shifter to select reverse gear.

Once in reverse Do you have to pull the lever again while returning the shifter from reverse to neutral postition?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Not on my '64 with a 4 speed. Once the shifter is moved out of reverse and toward 1st, The spring in the lockout will once again block moving into reverse until the lever is lifted again.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:52 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Not on my '64 with a 4 speed. Once the shifter is moved out of reverse and toward 1st, The spring in the lockout will once again block moving into reverse until the lever is lifted again.
Thank You!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:18 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Here's what's at the bottom of the lever that performs the lockout function; when you pull up on the T-handle, the rod moves up out of the way and allows the lever to move across the gate into the reverse position.
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2010, 07:03 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Lockout rod won't drop all the way in

What a GREAT picture John! It confirms a problem that I'm having right now.

I'm putting my shifter back together, and I cannot get the reverse lockout rod to drop far enough down into the shifter shaft to screw the ball back on.

I figured that the rod must exit the bottom of the shifter. For some reason it won't do it; I've tried going through the shift pattern many times over with no luck.

Any ideas before I crawl under to check things out?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:08 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by champs65
I'm putting my shifter back together, and I cannot get the reverse lockout rod to drop far enough down into the shifter shaft to screw the ball back on.

I figured that the rod must exit the bottom of the shifter. For some reason it won't do it; I've tried going through the shift pattern many times over with no luck.

I fight this on my 65 any time I have it apart. Getting the rod stabbed through the hole in the shifter base is really a matter of time and luck, providing the rod is straight, and not coated or any larger in diameter than stock. I made the mistake of putting shrink tubing on my in order to address shifter rattles, and quickly found the shrink tubing was enough to keep the rod from penetrating the shifter.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My fathers 64 recently had the reverse lock out rod get stuck in place. I had to take the entire shifter out to fix it. Now, for some reason the hole in this particular shifter was different than on my 65 and my fathers 66 and the rods from those cars would not work on the 64. I ordered a new rod and it would not work either. So, i ground the tip of the new rod down until it fit the hole in the shifter and it works great now. Perhaps you have the same problem and just need to provide a little more clearance.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

If the pin drops through the shifter and will block reverse, that part is okay. On the top end, if the rod is sticking up too far to get the ball on, just cut off enough to screw the ball back down.

If the pin is not dropping through the shifter to block reverse, address that problem before you do anything else.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
My fathers 64 recently had the reverse lock out rod get stuck in place. I had to take the entire shifter out to fix it. Now, for some reason the hole in this particular shifter was different than on my 65 and my fathers 66 and the rods from those cars would not work on the 64. I ordered a new rod and it would not work either. So, i ground the tip of the new rod down until it fit the hole in the shifter and it works great now. Perhaps you have the same problem and just need to provide a little more clearance.
There was a four point TSB on the '64 shifter. The original '64 shifter used a pin/cable affair and was retained at the top by a set screw in the T handle. The second design was a wire design that went through the T handle but the T handle hole was to be drilled larger, set screw discarded and the top of the wire bent over to prevent it pulling through the T handle.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:37 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

Merry Christmas!
Joe
Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Here's what's at the bottom of the lever that performs the lockout function; when you pull up on the T-handle, the rod moves up out of the way and allows the lever to move across the gate into the reverse position.
I am trying to fabricate a reverse lockout rod for my C4 since they are no longer available and ran across this thread and JohnZ's incredible picture. I am guessing the mechanism on the C4 is similar but does anyone know?

Thanks! John
Old 05-28-2011, 01:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinJohn
I am trying to fabricate a reverse lockout rod for my C4 since they are no longer available and ran across this thread and JohnZ's incredible picture. I am guessing the mechanism on the C4 is similar but does anyone know?

Thanks! John
You might get a faster answer on the specifics of the C4 shifter if you post the question in the C4 forum (unless one of our C1/C2 regulars also has a manual C4).
Old 05-28-2011, 02:16 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
You might get a faster answer on the specifics of the C4 shifter if you post the question in the C4 forum (unless one of our C1/C2 regulars also has a manual C4).
Thanks for the reply. I've posted there but haven't found anything as helpful as your picture. (Altho it encouraged me to try with a mirror as I can only see the rod from above. But I couldn't do nearly as well as you).

John

Last edited by AustinJohn; 05-28-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse Lock Out Question

Quick Reply: Reverse Lock Out Question