C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Tuxedo Black-KO's or hubcaps opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Default 66 Tuxedo Black-KO's or hubcaps opinions?

My 66 convertible in Tuxedo black with red interior has KO's and redlines radials to match the interior. I think I want to do hubcaps and goldlines. I know goldlines are correct for 66, but people think I'm nuts for changing the KO's and redlines. Opinions??
Mine

Not mine
Old 08-22-2010, 03:16 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Opinion - the goldlines "pop" more than the redlines on the black color.

Knock-offs feel like a dime-a-dozen, particularly if they are the fat fin obvious repros. What's rare is a set of original or accurate knock-offs.

If yours are the bad repros, dump them for hubcaps. Either way, the gold lines look better on black than the redlines.

So, gold lines with original knock-offs, or gold lines with hubcaps
Old 08-22-2010, 03:42 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Hubcaps
Old 08-22-2010, 03:48 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Yours sure looks nice. I would leave it. What a great compliment to your red interior.
Hubcaps and original knock offs do look more accurate.
Correct or not. The gold lines and later midyear hubcaps just don't do it for me. My favorite caps are the '63s. But look out of place on 65-67s.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:49 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

originality vs personal preference Its been driving me crazy for months. I have original KH ko's w/ gold lines on my 66, but for safety reasons wish to replace them and last week finally decided to go w/ BOLT ON ko's w/ red lines even though red lines weren't introduced until 67. Now I am not sure. The problem Jeff is that imho they both look great Why not 15 in TTD's GOOD LUCK

Last edited by dahogan; 08-23-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:15 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Decisions, decisions.........opinions, opinions. Wow, tough call. I LOVE the look of your car, a black/red car with redlines but understand being period correct. My best friend had a 67 big block, black/red with red stinger with Rallye wheels with redlines and it was drop dead gorgeous. I often wondered why GM didn't offer redlines for the Corvette in 1966 but did for the Pontiac GTO, which I had. I never cared for the look of the Goldlines but once again, decisions, decisions...opinions, opinions. Follow your heart.
Rick
Old 08-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jeff,

If you want another look, I would opt for the 66 hubcaps but keep the redlines since IMO, they look awesome with the red interior.

On all black or black on tan cars, the gold lines would be my choice as in your sample pic.

I've always liked the 66 caps but not the 65 6-spoke caps so the knock-offs were the obvious choice for my 65 coupe.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What are you asking us for? You're the one who has to live with it. But if it matters I like the KO's in the first pic, aesthetics wise. But if you want I'll trade you for good original 66 caps........

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 08-22-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:17 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I like the redlines! Car looks very classic. Either way you win.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Vetterway
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Classy Look Now

Your redlines with the red interior is classy. I would vote that you already have the best combination of knock-offs/redlines with your black/black/red interior. Vetterway
Old 08-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Ummm you know my opinion..

Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Brucets11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My black '66 has KO's with white walls. I'm wanting to change over to KO's with goldlines which I think looks fantastic. Click on my corvette photo's.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

My opinion is that Knock offs are the best looking wheel you can run on a C2, although I race on American Racing TT wheels for function.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 PM
tondawanda427
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know I guess I am weird but it bothers me to see redlines on anything earlier than a 1967? The redlines just scream wrong to me I would put goldlines/knock offs on anyday of the week.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

[QUOTE=

Knock-offs feel like a dime-a-dozen, particularly if they are the fat fin obvious repros.

[/QUOTE]

You know Jeff, prior to the new Knock Offs coming out, nobody even realized that the fins were bigger. Some of us who purchased them early were not aware that something new was coming and we purchased them with the idea that they were correct as far as we knew. As you know we are not able to pawn these off on any stranger and buy the new ones because of people like you who downgrade the ones we purchased. Remember we have over $1,500.00 wrapped up in the old ones and the new "correct ones" cost $2,400.00. My budget just doesn't allow for that and with others pointing out the incorrectness of the ones we bought, who would buy them from us. Your opinion may be correct but it puts all of us who purchased the older knock offs in a position where if we want to sell them for we have to take a real "a$$" kickin because of people who broadcast this the way you have or we sit on them and accept what we have. I don't know anyone else's financial position but mine doesn't allow for a me to change just because somebody else comes out with a better model. It doesn't quite work that way for my pocketbook.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
You know Jeff, prior to the new Knock Offs coming out, nobody even realized that the fins were bigger. Some of us who purchased them early were not aware that something new was coming and we purchased them with the idea that they were correct as far as we knew. As you know we are not able to pawn these off on any stranger and buy the new ones because of people like you who downgrade the ones we purchased. Remember we have over $1,500.00 wrapped up in the old ones and the new "correct ones" cost $2,400.00. My budget just doesn't allow for that and with others pointing out the incorrectness of the ones we bought, who would buy them from us. Your opinion may be correct but it puts all of us who purchased the older knock offs in a position where if we want to sell them for we have to take a real "a$$" kickin because of people who broadcast this the way you have or we sit on them and accept what we have. I don't know anyone else's financial position but mine doesn't allow for a me to change just because somebody else comes out with a better model. It doesn't quite work that way for my pocketbook.
I'm sorry you took my opinion so offensively. The knock-off fin thickness issue has been known for a long time, before the better repros were out. But perhaps it wasn't well known?

I'm not trying to keep anyone from selling their wheels, but he did ask for an opinion on what people thought looked and that is what I provided. I did not start a thread for the sole purpose of stabbing people in the back or eliciting drama although I've seen that here before.

Also, if anyone put their wheels up for sale I definitely wouldn't jump in to their for sale thread and warn people not to buy. I think you are putting a bit too much of this on me, and what I'm learning is that opinions are not desired here unless they make everyone happy.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I'm sorry you took my opinion so offensively. The knock-off fin thickness issue has been known for a long time, before the better repros were out. But perhaps it wasn't well known?

I'm not trying to keep anyone from selling their wheels, but he did ask for an opinion on what people thought looked and that is what I provided. I did not start a thread for the sole purpose of stabbing people in the back or eliciting drama although I've seen that here before.

Also, if anyone put their wheels up for sale I definitely wouldn't jump in to their for sale thread and warn people not to buy. I think you are putting a bit too much of this on me, and what I'm learning is that opinions are not desired here unless they make everyone happy.

"don't kill the messenger", "Don't hate the player.Hate the game"

No one digs bad news. The Forum is here to enlighten others with the latest info. Sometimes that can be a negative for some.

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Tuxedo Black-KO's or hubcaps opinions?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Jeff

My opinion is that redline tires do not complement your car like goldline tires would regardless of your red interior. Goldline tires with KO's would enhance your Black on Red convertible and make a stunning car.

Bruce
Old 08-23-2010, 11:52 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
If you wish to opine about one of your past perceived mistakes, please do so without blaming others.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I value all of you guy's opinions. Another cool component I didn't mention was the 1966 NC plate I'm running is a "dark yellow" with black numbers that should compliment the goldlines. I'm shopping for Diamondback goldline radials for now. They come in Firestone and Michelin X 205/75's and 215/70's. Now, more decisions. Wish I could fly up to Carlisle for a couple days, but not gonna happen.

Quick Reply: 66 Tuxedo Black-KO's or hubcaps opinions?