C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leaving NCRS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Mike- its a losing battle.

The slightest excuse for ripping NCRS gets the villagers a chance to get their torches out and blame NCRS for killing Kennedy. No where is that more prevalent than the Corvette Forum. Still not sure why that is.

Any sort of truth vs the flat-out fairy tales like the above is ignored.

Originally Posted by Larry P
When I started building my car, I did everything with consideration of being judged. With 8 miles on my body off restoration I ventured to my first local judging meet. I went not to be judged, but as a year long member with my car for the first time. I was ignored! When I say ignored, I'm talking about driving my car to within 50 feet of everybody present and walking through a group of 50 people and looking at every car present. I was humiliated because nobody spoke to me! Not one person. I had been to 8 meetings with these people! I had an article about my venture into the hobby published in the newsletter! I left and never went back. I never had a cross word or problem with any of them, just wasn't excepted, Or, did not feel excepted.

I see what you mean.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default G'day Roy,

It's tough, no doubt about it. Going by many opinions here, too harsh. But hey it's not the end of the world. Get someone to relay the facts onto the NCRS board on your behalf, serve the time and then get on with life. It's not that important that it should eat at you. The NCRS loses out and we gain.

In my opinion, friends are too hard to come by, when the time comes by to re-join them, do so, have a laugh with them about the whole thing and enjoy the future events with them.

Life is way too short!

Bud.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

You can call it at fairy tail if you like, but,
when you spend seven years building a car and go to the place you expect to be recognized and you are ignored,
it's a nightmare, not a fairytail!
You don't understand, and that's the problem.
Larry

Last edited by Larry P; 08-25-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Roy, sounds excessive to me, hope you stay the course and remain a member so others can benefit from your knowledge, whatever you do good luck and thanks for supporting the corvette world for so long. I was a member in the 70s, quit during college, rejoined in 90s I think and love the magazine, but dislike the small percentage of jerks who make other non ncrs vette owners not want to join with comments on someones non perfect, non numbers matching car etc. I for one like any and all vettes even if not to my taste, that is what life is about. anyhow best of luck and thanks again and thanks for hanging around this forum.
to clarrify, 99%+ ncrs members I have met are tops, always a bad egg in any club or in society
thanks again Roy for the story and you are a big man for saying you were wrong, many wouldn't. Hope ncrs see fit to lighten your suspension a bit. Our corvette hobby is the best

Last edited by LT1driver; 08-25-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

WOW! I dint mean to start arguments between people ,but I'll try to make this clear

1 About Utah National we were given the OK to use our 55 to go out for dinners.
2 About Ca. National in San Jose we left when sportsman class left and never went to their dinner, we were in sportsman class.
3 About Bend I left before 5pm, there were about 6 people on the field talking cars , but I was wrong leaving before 5PM

Yes I broke the rules at Bend ( I new that) I said that , I dint say anything bad about NCRS or the people then or now.It wasn't a danger to anyone on the field when I drove off. I have no problem if some people think other wise or say I got what I deserved.
What more can I say or do ? I'm not looking for or asking for sympathy .Cant say it much clearer then that ,I was just surprised that I was also taken off their forum (that's it). I WAS WRONG OK lets end this now .
Old 08-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Geez, I don't have orange paint overspray on my intake manifold (among a few other mortal sins), if someone from NCRS finds out, am I likely subject to stoning or waterboarding plus getting banned for life? Now I won't be able to sleep tonite. 25 or more year member that I am. Give us a break already!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:54 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I WASthinking of joining NCRS but if they are that picky I don't think they are for me. I feel it is my car, I own it and I will drive it when and where I want. I have been to and seen several NCRS JUDGING EVENTS and the NCRS judges think they are GODS. I would bet that if they did not have a book in there hand when loking at a car then would not have a clue what is original and what is not. If they wanted to get that picky then there is not ONE Corvette out on the road or in a garage that is NCRS TOP FLIGHT. The battery, oil and filter has been changed and I am sure that the tires have been replaced also. So it did not come from the Corvette Plant like that so it is BS
Old 08-25-2010, 03:39 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

NCRS bashing again? Hmmm.

It's not a car club. If you need to be stroked go to the local massage parlor.

I for one am glad to be a member. If it wasn't for this watch dog group there would be a million "original" mid year big block rare black with red stinger fully loaded Vettes floating around. If originality is your passion then join up. If you don't give a rats *** about originality then stay away. But don't come on here and unload on them just because you don't want overspray or certain head bolt markings or whatever. I find the people who bash the NCRS and say they are too **** are the same ones who don't want to put the time or effort into their cars to make them "correct." That's fine if they don't want to do it. Just don't ask the NCRS to dumb down the criteria so your car might get a few more points for being wrong.

Rules are rules and Roy left. He knew the rules on the way out. Just because what's her name gets away with just a few days in jail and a couple weeks in rehab for good behaviour doesn't mean Roy should have his time card doctored, too. However, I will offer to split his penalty and take 7.5 months of his jail time in exchange for information when I need it.

RG

Last edited by Randy G.; 08-25-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I have to admit that I was not aware that getting a 13 month suspension for violating the "do not leave before 5 rule" also meant that you were suspended from posting on the NCRS Discussion Board.

That just seems odd to me.

So, what happens when those new 55 owners ask questions on the DB. Do we tell them to wait 13 months until Roy can get back to them.

I understand the suspension from NCRS events, and I agree with it. I just don't get the suspension from the DB part of it.

Wouldn't be the first time I didn't fully understand what was going on.

And just to set the record straight, I am a long time member, and a supporter of NCRS.

Seems like a little better communication and maybe a bit of flexibility would take care of this whole situation.

Last edited by emccomas; 08-25-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

15 Month suspension, not even allowed to post on the forum.........Man and my kids tell me I am a hardarse. I don't care what any of you NCRS guys say, that's a little to overboard. You are running off a valuable asset
Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pugly
15 Month suspension, not even allowed to post on the forum.........Man and my kids tell me I am a hardarse. I don't care what any of you NCRS guys say, that's a little to overboard. You are running off a valuable asset
I guess they missed the Boat on this one...who else knows more about the '53-'55 Vettes than Roy. Bet you can't name one .....
Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Just a point of clarification, I believe the NCRS rule is a 13 month suspension, not a 15 month suspension.

The point, as I understand it, is to not allow that individual to take part in the same event in the following year in which the infraction was committed (and of course anything in between).
Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Kalmuk
I guess they missed the Boat on this one...who else knows more about the '53-'55 Vettes than Roy. Bet you can't name one .....
Roy's wife

jack
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

I hope your kidding.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

....saw in the last Restorer an individual at the Gettysburg Regional in the awards description said "15 month suspension"???

...did he too leave early or was this for a bogus VIN/trim tag??? Anyone know???
Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

i do not think roy is trying to cut the org. up. he had a legit reason he had to leave. the org has rules and he knew them. he left. he just thinks
the ban is a little long.
i believe this org is needed even though i do not belong. these vehicles
need a org. to keep the history and info straight.
i also believe every org. has people that go by the letter of the law. for minor stuff like this, i believe in the spirit of the law or rules. jmho jim

ps. roy do not quit, till you cool down a while. the best jim

Last edited by jdk971; 08-25-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: another thought
Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

On this site? You're right. Roy's knowledge is hard to match. The other dozens/hundreds of knowledgeable people on 53-55 that I've met via the NCRS don't come here.

I wonder why?

Get notified of new replies

To Leaving NCRS

Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Michaelw
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Its like a company; when you are a startup all is possible to achieve growth, when you are mid size there are rules but your staff is focussed on growing the business with you, when you become a corporation you are like a oiltanker with to many captains -to many people feeling important and trying to act important - making a course correction takes ages.....the result of being big = you loose flexibility and the personal touch. Because of its success (created by its members/ambassadors) the NCRS became an oil tanker...

Roy - I had the pleasure of meeting you a few times at the nationals! You are a sincere man and your knowledge is appreciated.

TomP - I can only say that I agree

My 2 cents: despite both sides of the story...the so called punishment is just over the top! Perhaps right according to the rule book (short term vision) but the negative exposure already this post has brought will have a long term effect, because many people will think twice when they hear the name NCRS....

Mike
Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of NCRS. With that said, I have two comments here:

1. If someone deserved a penalty, and that penalty was waived or reduced due to the fact that someone was a "35 year member", THAT would make me think it was nothing more than an "old boy's club" and strongly discourage me from becoming a new member.

2. As far as people being "sticklers", if people who are "sticklers" for rules and minutia annoy you, and/or you are not at least a little bit of a "stickler" yourself, I would suggest that restoring a car for judging as a hobby is likely not a good match for your personality.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

In my opinion, the rules are there for a reason and they were knowingly broken. There should be some penalty as Roy acknowledges.

It just appears to me that the penalty is disproportionate to the offense. Roy's an interesting guy that brings a knowledge and perspective to the hobby that shouldn't be lost. I am confident that if Roy so chooses, Gary or Eric could be approached and this could be resolved amicably.

Quick Reply: Leaving NCRS