C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with replacing Tach cable....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Blacksburg Hokie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with replacing Tach cable....

I need to replace my tachometer cable in my '61. I was able to reach my hand behind the dash and unscrew the cable. As I pull the cable, I get stuck. Seems like there must be a grommet in place that the cable runs through. That is what it looks like in the AIM. Any tricks to getting that grommet out?
Also, do I need to remove the heater as it appears the tach cable runs behind it.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You do NOT need to remove the heater and your tach cable should not run behind it. There are two 'holes' in the fiberglass dash right behind the instrument cluster that both the tach and speedo cable go through and the knurled **** on the tach might be getting caught on the cockpit side of the hole, the grommet or some other obstacle.

If you zoom in on the picture you will see exactly what I am talking about Tim...

You may have to remove the grommet as you remove the tach cable but I did not have to when I replaced mine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-16-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Blacksburg Hokie
Instructor

Thanks, Frank. I got it. I took a photo of the area so I knew what I was working with. I was able to get the grommet out and ran the new cable in the place of the old. It was a little challenging reinserting the grommet. As you can see from the pic, I am missing the one for the speedo.

Last edited by Blacksburg Hokie; 09-16-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well you can certainly cut a grommet and work it into the speedo hole without disconnecting anything and nobody will ever know. (Not that I would ever do that)

Lube your tach cable really well except for about the last 8"-10" at the gauge end so crud doesn't get into the movement. Some repro cables are longer than the original so some 'creative' routing is needed to keep it from binding or kinking up. Even if you've installed the cable you can take it loose from the generator end and pull the rod out from within the housing to lube it...then slide it back in carefully.

I have to say you are becoming a first rate C1 "wrench" with everything you've done on the '61 in such a short time.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-16-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Blacksburg Hokie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I have to say you are becoming a first rate C1 "wrench" with everything you've done on the '61 in such a short time.

I have had some good tutors!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Frank, I see in the picture that your cluster is out with the steering wheel still in. I will be doing my cluster soon. Can the cluster be removed with the steering wheel in?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The cluster absolutely will come out with the steering wheel on...and back in too...that's how I did mine. Just put a thick towel over the steering column to prevent scratches when wrestling that pig out of the dash pad...
Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Roger Quintero
Instructor

Default Tach cable routing

I just noticed this Thread. Could you please tell me the routing of the tach cable. I know it goes throught the hole behind the tach next to the speedometer cable hole. However does the tach cable on a 61 vette run from the generator tach drive to the left of the hood latch on the passenger side, along the firewall , behind the wiper motor to the firewall hole on the driver's side than into the the hole right before the tach as indicated by your picture?
I would appreciate any help.
My problem is I have a 61 vette cable that is 60" inches long and it is not long enough to route to the left of the hood hinge and eventually make it to the tach? I have seen tach cables in gray 60" and black 70" However I think the gray cable is orginal and it seem to short to route it according to everything I have seen via Nolan's Book?
Thanks
Roger
Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

See the info & pics I posted in the other thread that you started on this topic..

Get notified of new replies

To Help with replacing Tach cable....

Quick Reply: Help with replacing Tach cable....