C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

*The* Daddy 1957 Corvette SS (PIC)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:31 PM
0membercalendars.com
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *The* Daddy 1957 Corvette SS (PIC)

***Disclaimer**** SebringBill is correct. This is the Stingray, not the daddy (SS). Sorry about that. Long drive back from Detroit, we're tired.

We were at the GM Heritage Center yesterday touring the various facilities and thought of our C2 brethren, so we took a snap just for you.

This car helped elevate Corvette. History on wheels.

Oh, and then we saw the Mako. TONS of GM Americana, quite an experience for us. To say the least.

All of our other pictures from the Heritage Center are on our facebook if you want to see them. Heritage Pics

Last edited by membercalendars.com; 09-16-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Correcting the model
Old 09-16-2010, 11:22 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm..first pic is the original Stingray. OK, based on the SS "mule" chassis, but "the" SS is in the Indianapolis Speedway Museum.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The second picture, I believe because I can't see it all, is the "Mako Shark," a prototype that I think was made by Larry Shinoda.

Love the passenger side mirror on the SS. Wish mine had one for backing in my one car garage.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Now, with the above thoughts in mind, does ANYONE KNOW the status of the (previously wrecked) 57 Corvette Super Sport??? The Super Sport WAS NOT the SS. It looks very much like a production 57 Vette, but with several unique Design Dept features. This was a one of a kind FI 57 Design/Concept car which didn't receive much noteriety and eventually got wrecked (extensive frontend damage) and sat neglected for MANY, MANY years. Anyone know anything about its status??????????

Tom Parsons
Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Now, with the above thoughts in mind, does ANYONE KNOW the status of the (previously wrecked) 57 Corvette Super Sport??? The Super Sport WAS NOT the SS. It looks very much like a production 57 Vette, but with several unique Design Dept features. This was a one of a kind FI 57 Design/Concept car which didn't receive much noteriety and eventually got wrecked (extensive frontend damage) and sat neglected for MANY, MANY years. Anyone know anything about its status??????????

Tom Parsons
About a year ago, it was being restored, but I don't recall where or by whom.
Attached Images    
Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

And the thread we covered last year that included the SS, starting with post 25
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...estorer-2.html
Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

The SS was a crash project to get the car to Sebring. Some of the finshing work was done inside the transporter as it sped to Florida. The car retired after a few laps with suspension failure, not really much help to the Corvette image.

Some claim the car's space frame came out of a D-type Jaguar. I wouldn't go that far, but it's plausible that they brought a Jag frame to Warren Tech Center, measured it and built their own version.

The Sting Ray, on the other hand, was an SCCA national champion in an open (non-production) class. And Bill Mitchell did it with a small team, some of them volunteers. The basic car was sound, it just needed development time.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:10 PM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing the pictures... very cool car !
Old 09-19-2010, 05:16 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
The SS was a crash project to get the car to Sebring. Some of the finshing work was done inside the transporter as it sped to Florida. The car retired after a few laps with suspension failure, not really much help to the Corvette image.

Some claim the car's space frame came out of a D-type Jaguar. I wouldn't go that far, but it's plausible that they brought a Jag frame to Warren Tech Center, measured it and built their own version.

The Sting Ray, on the other hand, was an SCCA national champion in an open (non-production) class. And Bill Mitchell did it with a small team, some of them volunteers. The basic car was sound, it just needed development time.
From Wikipedia:

"The Jaguar D-Type, like its predecessor the C-Type, was a factory-built race car. Although it shared the basic straight-6 XK engine design (initially 3.4L and eventually uprated to 3.8 litres in the late fifties) with the C-Type, the majority of the car was radically different. Perhaps its most ground-breaking innovation was the introduction of a monocoque chassis."

The space frame used as a reference for the SS was from a 300SL.

Get notified of new replies

To *The* Daddy 1957 Corvette SS (PIC)

Quick Reply: *The* Daddy 1957 Corvette SS (PIC)