C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Salvage Titles - Cleaning??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Ken's67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Salvage Titles - Cleaning??

I have a question about a "Salvage Title." I'm looking to buy a 1966 vehicle, (Not a Corvette) with a salvage title. It was brought to the scrape yard many years ago because of a fire under the hood. It was repaired and titled with a "Salvage" title. My question is, can that salvage title be cleared? Is there a way or a service that can take that salvage title and turn it into a regular title? I'm in Ohio.

The other question is: Is a vehicle with a "Salvage" title worth less or is less desirable with this type of title?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 03:04 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Salvage cars always sell for less.

Good luck on the other thing I'm in CA so I can't speak to that...
Old 09-28-2010, 03:25 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

BEing you're in California, I don't know if this works, but with old motorcycles I have restored that had no paperwork, I used Broadway title. They supply the necessary paperwork to get you a new title. Whether this is ethical, I will leave up to your conscience. Google Broadway title and it will be there. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Salvage Titles

Originally Posted by Ken's67
My question is, can that salvage title be cleared? Is there a way or a service that can take that salvage title and turn it into a regular title? I'm in Ohio.

The other question is: Is a vehicle with a "Salvage" title worth less or is less desirable with this type of title?

Thanks
If I remember correctly, there are still a couple of states that do not issue salvage titles. If you register your car there, you will get a regular title, and then if you "move back" to your home state, the car will get a regular title. There are probably a couple of guys here that know what states they are.

A vehicle with a salvage title is always worth less, as a salvage title means the vehicle was declared to need more than 80% of its value for repairs.

RON
Old 09-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

I believe Tenn does not issue Salvage titles. A lot of Rebuilt Salvage cars go thru there to "clear" their titles.

My daily driver has a Rebuilt Salvage car in CT. It was Mich Salvage when I bought it. I'll keep it until it dies, then I won't have to worry about it.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

ken,
since you live in ohio, call the ohio state patrol office in columbus. i believe you can get
a reg. title. i think you have to have the vehicle inspected by a law enforcement agency. the auto squad of the columbus police department did it years ago, esp for hot rods and such. but i think osp does it now. best of luck jim
Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 PM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A salvage title may make it worth less, but proper documentation on the repairs could negate that.

I believe there was an earlier thread on "cleaning" a salvage title, but I can't seem to find it now.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
vetteride4u
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have repaired several C6 cars which have had Ohio salvage titles and am restoring a 67 roadster right now. In Ohio you must keep all major part receipts for the repairs and have the car inspected by the Ohio Highway Patrol. The title will be I good title but will be branded "Previous Salvage" under remarks. PM me if you want more info.

My numbers match 67 L79 is in much better shape then many cars I see being restored and don't expect it to hurt the value! I wreck car is a different story! Just document everything.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by ktchir
A salvage title may make it worth less, but proper documentation on the repairs could negate that.

I believe there was an earlier thread on "cleaning" a salvage title, but I can't seem to find it now.
On a 50 yr old car,condition and options will outweigh any salvage title.
I don't think a salvage title will hurt the value of a perfect fuelie or 427 restored to be as good or better than any clean titled car. I also don't think the seller would drop the price because of it. IMHO
Old 09-28-2010, 10:43 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
On a 50 yr old car,condition and options will outweigh any salvage title.
I don't think a salvage title will hurt the value of a perfect fuelie or 427 restored to be as good or better than any clean titled car. I also don't think the seller would drop the price because of it. IMHO
This is WAY subjective. Of course if the car is *correctly* restored by a skilled artisan who takes pride in restoring the car and not just "fixing it up" so to speak it is going to be worth more than most that even have a good title. But lets face it, most aren't restored this way, in fact VERY few are. So generally speaking, a buyer will always use the salvage title is a bargaining chip to lower the price in an attempt to purchase. Value is one thing, actual worth is another. If we are basing worth on what an actual buyer will pay as the poster asked, it is only in fact worth what someone will actually pay.

So IF this salvage title car was repaired and restored correctly, then I would of course say you are right. But even then, when it comes down to actual sale price that a buyer will pay, I would be very skeptical that the car would sell for the same dollar amount as an identical non-salvage title vehicle.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:25 PM
63 corvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with 57Vette.

Here is a consideration on how much of a value deduction a salvage title might create.

If two exact cars were restored to the exact same condition, how much more would you pay for the car without the salvage title. This is very subjective.

Last edited by 63 corvette; 09-29-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:46 AM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Some insurance companies will not insure salvage title vehicles, due to potential liability issues if repairs were not done properly.

Last edited by RFJohnston; 09-29-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

All vehicle ownership changes now go through NVMTIS. NVMTIS database also has a field called "brands". This lists things like "stolen", "salvage", "flood", "kit", etc.

Washing titles is not as easy as it used to be.

NVMTIS entry is now required for all 50 states (as of 1 Jan 2010).

NVMTIS = National Motor Vehicle Title Information System.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Ron Champe
Pro

Any car with a salvage title is a bit difficult to sell. My previous Corvette had a salvage title and most all potential buyers "ran" even before they heard my story.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:29 PM
noss1z28
Cruising

title washing i believe is illegal, that's what everyone is talking about. Do a search for Boyd Coddington and it or Unique Performance. Both got in big trouble for doing this. Registering cars out of state and then re-registering again with a clean title.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Ernie67
Instructor

Originally Posted by noss1z28
title washing i believe is illegal, that's what everyone is talking about. Do a search for Boyd Coddington and it or Unique Performance. Both got in big trouble for doing this. Registering cars out of state and then re-registering again with a clean title.
I think what Boyd was in trouble was building cars, and having them titled as "Older" cars. I do not believe he was involved with title washing. I think Jesse james had the same or a similar issue.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie67
I think what Boyd was in trouble was building cars, and having them titled as "Older" cars. I do not believe he was involved with title washing. I think Jesse james had the same or a similar issue.
Boyd and other hot rod builders buy the titles/numbers to salvaged vintage cars and register their new hot rods they build with the titles to keep the cars vintage and smog free. (VS a kit car requiring registration as new). Back then, titles were not marked nor records keep when they were totaled out.

Get notified of new replies

To Salvage Titles - Cleaning??

Quick Reply: Salvage Titles - Cleaning??