C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tires for 67 327/300 power glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Zcohen55
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for 67 327/300 power glide

I just purchased a 67 327/300 power glide convertible that used to belong to my father. The tires on the car are from 1989 and I need some new ones to ride around safely. The original spare is a bf goodrich; does that mean that the car probably had bfg whitewalls from the factory? I am considering going through certification and I want to buy the right tires. I'm new to the classic corvette game as an owner. I used to polish the chrome on this car when I was a kid, but that's it. My father sold the car in 87 and he passed away in 89. I just purchased the car this week and I want to do it right. Please help!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

In 67 Chevy was buying tires from US Royal, BFG, Firestone, Goodyear, and General. They were all bias ply and standard was blackwalls. Optional were 1/2 " whitewalls or 3/8" redlines. You can buy repro bias ply in the standard 7.75 X 15 if you like but I would recommend going with radials that look like the original buy handle 200% better. You can buy 215/70/15's from Coker or Diamondback. If you are having the car judged the point deduction for radials is not that great if you use the same manufacturer as original ( I think, others more acquainted with judging will chime in). Anyway hope that gets you started and welcome to the Forum!!! You've come to the right place.

Don
Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

I would also suggest going radials.....if you are really set on NCRS judging, yes, you'll lose some points. But, the drive is so much better....mine had repro bias plys when I got it (and did NCRS with) and when I switched to the radials (I have had the Cokers for almost 10 years now and no problems) it made a huge difference.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Zcohen55
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys, Coker is looking pretty good. I plan on driving and enjoying this car, so I'm willing to sacrifice the points for a better ride. Maybe I can make up the lost points by having the factory spare?

Zac
Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zcohen55
Thanks guys, Coker is looking pretty good. I plan on driving and enjoying this car, so I'm willing to sacrifice the points for a better ride. Maybe I can make up the lost points by having the factory spare?

Zac
Hahahaha, I don't think they look at it
Don
Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
The first thing i would do if I were you, would be to join your local chapter of the NCRS. Lots of nice people who will be more than happy to help you with all of your questions regarding judging.
If you are going to drive the car and have it judged by the NCRS, buy radials from Coker or Diamondback with the correct stripe width and brand name from one of the original equipment tire suppliers for a '67. I don't have a '67 judging guide (you should buy one for sure), but it will list the original tire manufacturers for your year.
If your spare is the original non "D.O.T" spare, keep it for sure for judging. The spare is judged separately from the other tires, can't do better than the original that came with the car.

Paul

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 10-05-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:09 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Hahahaha, I don't think they look at it
Don
Yes, we do - the spare is judged just like the road tires.

'67 tire suppliers were:

Blackwalls/Whitewalls: Goodyear, Firestone, Uniroyal, B.F. Goodrich, General

Redlines: Uniroyal, Goodyear

If the spare is an original non-DOT tire, it needn't match the four road tires.

OEM-brand radial replacement tires (either 205/75 or 215/70) get a 60% deduction; non-OEM brand radials get a 75% deduction.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought a set of Firestone FR380 when my local dealer had a buy 3 get 1 free deal going. 5/8ths whitewall, just like original, but RADIAL tires. Can't remember the price.

I thought I read somewhere else that the FR380s were being phased out in favor of a newer tire. Check with your local shop and see what they have.

Currently, I'm in the middle of running for a 97% Top Flight award, so I have Goodyear PowerCushion white wall bias ply tires on and MAN are they squirrly on the road....YIPE! My dad's 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee handles better.....
Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Zcohen55
Heel & Toe

Default New tires for 67 convertible

I went to one of my local tire shops today to see what they could get for me. Since I want to drive the car first and foremost, I want to go with radials. The brands that the guy was quoting me on were kuhmo, hankook, Cooper etc. Not firestone or bfg like I was hoping. My original factory spare is a 5/8th white wall bfg. What are the best radials for the ride without losing the 75% on judging? Again guys, I need a lot of guidance. I want to do this right, but I plan on driving the car 2-3 times a week, weather permitting. Thanks for the previous posts. You guys have me convinced radials are the way to go. Now I just need to find the right brand. Thanks in advance. I hope to post some pictures of my marina blue lacquered beauty in the near future!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

I went to one of my local tire shops today to see what they could get for me. Since I want to drive the car first and foremost, I want to go with radials. The brands that the guy was quoting me on were kuhmo, hankook, Cooper etc. Not firestone or bfg like I was hoping. My original factory spare is a 5/8th white wall bfg. What are the best radials for the ride without losing the 75% on judging? Again guys, I need a lot of guidance. I want to do this right, but I plan on driving the car 2-3 times a week, weather permitting. Thanks for the previous posts. You guys have me convinced radials are the way to go. Now I just need to find the right brand. Thanks in advance. I hope to post some pictures of my marina blue lacquered beauty in the near future!
Diamonback and Coker are tire companies that specialize in theOEM of the original brands from whatever year you are looking for. They can sell you a BFG with a correct whitewall or blackwall, a Goodyear or UniRoyal redline, etc but in a radial and that would only get a 60% reduction as opposed to a non oem like Kuhmo, Hancook etc. Does that make sense?
Don
Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

"What are the best radials for the ride without losing the 75% on judging?"

John listed the brands that would be acceptable as radials to earn the minimum deduction. For whitewalls: Goodyear, Firestone, Uniroyal, B.F. Goodrich, General.
Coker Tire or Diamondback will sell you radials with the above brand names on them and the correct whitewall width. You may also get lucky at a regular tire store like Stingray 1967 did at his Firestone store, check out your local Firestone store to see what they have.
Also as mentioned, be sure to keep your spare if it's the original that came with the car.

Paul
Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on being able to buy your dad's old car back
Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Zcohen55
Heel & Toe

Default Tires

Thanks again guys. I was unsure if what coker had was the smoother riding radials that I was looking for. As it stands now, looks like I will be ordering a set of bfg's from coker unless someone can convince me that the firestone 5/8 whitewalls ride better. Will probably order tomorrow unless someone talks me out of it. Again, the ride and safety is most important right now, but I do have the original spare and it Is a 5/8 whitewall bfg. Joined the NCRS, but didn't see where to join the regional chapter. I'm located in Monroe, North Carolina. Lead me in the right direction guys!

Zac
Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

looks like I will be ordering a set of bfg's from coker unless someone can convince me that the firestone 5/8 whitewalls ride better. Will probably order tomorrow unless someone talks me out of it.
Zac
For any given size, the ride quality should be the same from one brand to the next. If it were me, I would be more inclined to buy local Firestones rather than Coker, if they can get your size with the correct whitewall.
They will probably be cheaper, and they will be true modern production tires. Local support is also better in case there is ever a problem. If you can't get them, Diamondback would be my second choice, they can take a modern Firestone or Goodyear etc... and add the correct whitewall. Coker third, do a search, some have had issues with them in the past.

Paul
Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Joined the NCRS, but didn't see where to join the regional chapter. I'm located in Monroe, North Carolina. Lead me in the right direction guys!

Zac
Welcome to the classic vette crowd. Here's your local NCRS chapter. They just finished up with a national convention held in Charlotte. So that's what the "it's officially over" commentary is all about.

http://www.ncrscarolinaschapter.org/
Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Zcohen55
Heel & Toe

Firestones were mounted and balanced today. Cost 324.14 for everything. Put about 15 miles on them today and I'm pretty pleased so far. I think they are going to be great once they're broken in. Thanks again for the advice guys. You probably saved me 700.00 bucks!

Zac
Old 10-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Firestones were mounted and balanced today. Cost 324.14 for everything. Put about 15 miles on them today and I'm pretty pleased so far. I think they are going to be great once they're broken in. Thanks again for the advice guys. You probably saved me 700.00 bucks!

Zac
Glad it worked out, sounds like a great price!
We need pics of your new ride! We love pics on this forum!

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Tires for 67 327/300 power glide

Old 10-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Zcohen55
Heel & Toe

Default Help uploading pics

I have many pics that want to share! Just can't figure out how to upload to the forum. I have many on facebook, but can't figure out how to transfer them to the forum. The tire advice was 100% perfect, so I'm sure someone can helpnwith uploading photos.

Zac
Old 10-10-2010, 01:31 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I have many pics that want to share! Just can't figure out how to upload to the forum. I have many on facebook, but can't figure out how to transfer them to the forum. The tire advice was 100% perfect, so I'm sure someone can helpnwith uploading photos.

Zac
I just posted this about 20 minutes ago for another forum member
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1575574338-post2.html
Old 10-10-2010, 02:02 PM
C2Dan
Racer

Originally Posted by Stingray1967
I thought I read somewhere else that the FR380s were being phased out in favor of a newer tire.
I just ordered a set of FR380s from Tires Easy.

Quick Reply: Tires for 67 327/300 power glide