C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Executive VIP cars; have any to add to the list? Plus Roger Penske story

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 12:49 PM
bitzman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Executive VIP cars; have any to add to the list? Plus Roger Penske story

I like keeping track of executive VIP Corvettes. These are those that were built for GM executives as "playtoys" or built for friends of these executives, or wives. Here's all I got so far.

'63 roadster Bunkie Knudsen special red, shark exhausts, white hood stripe
'63 roadster harley earl , cobalt blue, shark exhausts, extra gauges
'63 roadster Bill Mitchell, cobalt blue, shark exhasuts, extra gauges, wire wheels
'6_? coupe , Ozzie Olson (detroit industrialist) special side exhaust, in Gilmore museum,Hickory Corners, MI\
'64 Worlds Fair Corvette, FI unit poking through hole in hood, non fuctional trick side exhaust, built for alex Mair's son Steve

Mrs. Knudsen car, pink with pink whitewalls?
Mrs. Mitchell car, white '67 coupe, red interior, ZL-1?
Mrs. Earl car, no details, maybe this was the pink one

I can't believe Roger Penske didn't have a special one. I 'member one time I was driving by the GM bldg and saw Roger the Dodger looking vexed and I pulled over and said "hey,Roger, what's wrong?" and he said "I had my Vette parked in front of the GM bldg. and someone towed it." so I says Hop in and he hops in my Opel and we are cruising Grand Blvd. and he sees a cop and rivets him with a mean stare and says "Someone took my Corvette and I want it back" and the cop says in effect "Yessir, yessir, three bags full." I kind of liked the way he didn't have to say who he was but the cop was aware he was a big shot.
Bitzman
Old 04-01-2002, 01:16 PM
sixtyseven427
Instructor

Default Re: Executive VIP cars; have any to add to the list? Plus Roger Penske story (bitzman)

One of Penske's Corvette race cars is being restored by Kevin McKay at Corvette Repair on Long Island. 516 568-1959.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:20 PM
bitzman
Instructor

Default Re: Executive VIP cars; have any to add to the list? Plus Roger Penske story (sixtyseven427)

Hi
do you have an e-mail for the race car restorer too?
Now I would like to find a multiple Corvette owner who specializes in
pristine race cars of historic importance such as the Sebring Corvettes
Owens Corning, etc. Anybody got any names with e-mail addresses to recommend?

I photographed two multi-corvette owners in Calif. over the weekend for article on perfectionist owners,
got my photog a ride in the Sebring racing '62 (but he still likes those damn off road cars)

Thanks for any info
bitzman

Get notified of new replies

To Executive VIP cars; have any to add to the list? Plus Roger Penske story

Quick Reply: Executive VIP cars; have any to add to the list? Plus Roger Penske story