C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 I Got Everything I Wanted Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 PM
davidavedesian
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C2 I Got Everything I Wanted Stereo System

Hello:

I would like to share an approach that may not be "right" for all. I just got a 1964 Rag Top daily driver. I am using my car about 2,500 miles per month. If it is not raining, I am on the road with "4EVER64". I live in Maryland and they have just passed a "hands free" law regarding cell phones. I wanted an "Everything" system. It took me some time to figure out a plan, but boy have I got a system that I am delighted with how it works and sounds.

System Requirements: One touch screen to control the following: 1) AM/FM radio, 2) Hands free bluetooth for my cell phone to play through the cars speakers, 3) IPOD amibical cord in the glove box, 4) GPS Navigation system, 5) 10 disc CD Changer, 6) Sirius Sat Radio, 7) 5 speaker system set up: 1 speaker on the dash, 2 speakers on the center column left/right of radio, 2 Bass speakers in the storage wells behind the seats, 8) 100 amp booster to control the two speakers up front and the 2 speakers in the back and 9) everything must be hidden including the wiriing and components.

The results were as follows: A Kenwood Car Portal System, Kewnwood.com. The component switcher is a KOS-V500 which includes an AM/FM radio, the Touch Screen Monitor is KOS-L432, the GPS Nav system is KNA-G510, the CD changer is KDC-C715, the Sirius Radio is KCA-SR50 and the Bluetooth Hands Free Box is KCA-BT100.

The Touch Screen Monitor (4.3 inches) is mounted on an angle under the exisiting radio. There is a short piece of wiring that leads out on the driver side. The two new speakers were installed on the center line of the driver and passenger foot wells. I did not put the speakers in the outside kick panel locations because I did not feel there was enough room for my left foot to press the clutch pedal. The existing after market mid year radio was abondoned in place. All of the "black boxes" were mounted on the rear wall in front of the gas tank. A false wall was fabricated to hide the black boxes and ALL the wires. The CD Changer is mounted on the false wall behind the driver. The Sat radio and GPS antennas were mounted under the rear deck out of sight and "shoot" through the fiberglass deck. The reception for both is great. The bluetooth system is very clear even with the rag top down.

So for anyone that wants "today's" sound and features, this is one approach.

Not is all without a down side. All of the cost for the components add up very quickily. Each black box range in cost from $350 to $500 each. If you go to Cruchfields.com you will get a feel for the component costs. My installation was performed by a car stereo guy in Ellicott City and I was delighted with the care that they gave me and my ride.

Given my list of requirements, I was/am delighted that I have a first class system for my ride. If anyone would like more information, please feel free to ask.

One Happy Camper,
David Avedesian
Silver Spring, MD
"4EVER64"
Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Need Pics!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:14 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, pics please..
Old 10-08-2010, 07:09 PM
davidavedesian
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

For those that have requested photos, please refer to the C3 forum by the same title thread. I posted the pictures to the wrong forum. Sorrry for the mix up.

Thank you,

David Avedesian
Silver Spring, MD
"4EVER64"
Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...eo-system.html