C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Grounding alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Grounding alternator

I still can't figure this out.

I had to replace my alternator. It seems that the new ones don't have a ground terminal - My old one (also aftermarket) has a post for ground. My harness has a wire for it as well. This new unit has no visible ground terminal.

Are they grounded through the case? I have a three wire unit - I know what to do with the three wires (one main + wire, two wires to external voltage regulator) - how to ground this thing?

It's an aftermarket chrome unit from Tuff Stuff Performance. I could call them Monday but want to get this installed this weekend.

Found this illustration clearly showing a ground to the alternator

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 10-30-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:44 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Could you transfer the post from the old one?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:48 PM
stellar
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like you got a different style alternator. Maybe a 10SI instead of a 10DN. Got any pics of them?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:54 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by nassau66427
Could you transfer the post from the old one?
Only as a last resort - seems like I should be able to get an alternator that is like my other one...

Originally Posted by stellar
Sounds like you got a different style alternator. Maybe a 10SI instead of a 10DN. Got any pics of them?
Old aftermarket alternator (no marks or model/mfg on it...)

New alternator - Tuff Stuff Performance 7102NC - note different orientation

Note - I put that small nut on what looks like a tiny ground post - it didn't come with a nut, or instructions or a connector for the regulator. Seems kinda crappy to me.

I thought this would be simple....

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 10-30-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:04 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

You can ground it to the mounting bolt in the case, or if you don't have one, any of the bolts that physically mount the alternator.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:07 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by toddalin
You can ground it to the mounting bolt in the case, or if you don't have one, any of the bolts that physically mount the alternator.

Any idea why it's different? The orientation will force me to reroute wires and may require a smaller diameter belt. Hassle!

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 10-30-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Thrakkorzog
Any idea why it's different? The orientation will force me to reroute wires and may require a smaller diameter belt. Hassle!
Different year alternators had minor variations due to mounting and other requirements, and the noted mount/ground tab is one of them. Your alternator has this threaded hole at the bottom (I can see it) and you should be able to pull enough wire to reach it.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:46 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Different year alternators had minor variations due to mounting and other requirements, and the noted mount/ground tab is one of them. Your alternator has this threaded hole at the bottom (I can see it) and you should be able to pull enough wire to reach it.
I noticed that hole too - apparently a metric thread. Of course they didn't include any bolt for it. I'm betting that grounds to the case.

Thanks! I have an email into the mfg too - we'll see if they respond.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:22 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

I noticed that hole too - apparently a metric thread.
This is possible but maybe not. The hole on mine had been "buggered" FROM THE USE OF IMPROPER AND LATER METRIC THREADS for the first ~1/4" but a regular 5/16" x 18 bolt went in after I cleaned this out and got it past that point.

I had even bought a drill bit, tap, and helicoils for it (5/16" x 18) but never needed to use it once I got a trial bolt past the buggered portion. I did run a q-tip with vasaline in and out of the hole a bunch of times to catch the aluminum flakes/shavings to keep them out of the alternator's brushes and bearings.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:46 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

This is possible but maybe not. The hole on mine had been "buggered" FROM THE USE OF IMPROPER AND LATER METRIC THREADS for the first ~1/4" but a regular 5/16" x 18 bolt went in after I cleaned this out and got it past that point.

I had even bought a drill bit, tap, and helicoils for it (5/16" x 18) but never needed to use it once I got a trial bolt past the buggered portion. I did run a q-tip with vasaline in and out of the hole a bunch of times to catch the aluminum flakes/shavings to keep them out of the alternator's brushes and bearings.
Dang, you are reading my mind. It's supposed to be new but we all know how that goes. Could also be some plating buggering it up.

I may run a tap into it once I confirm they sent me the right alternator. However, I know mfgs and distributors NEVER do that...
Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 PM
oldskydog
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like an internally regulated alternator instead of an external.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Dads61
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskydog
I would agree with that...grounds through the case...and obviously the two wires (not the main) do different things...wrong alternator..
Old 10-31-2010, 12:35 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldskydog
Originally Posted by Dads61
I would agree with that...grounds through the case...and obviously the two wires (not the main) do different things...wrong alternator..
The box says "external regulator" but it wouldn't surprise me if they got my order wrong. I'll find out tomorrow and post up what I find.

Thanks, all. A prime example of a 10 minute job taking hours. Don't you love old cars?
Old 10-31-2010, 01:46 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

The box says "external regulator" but it wouldn't surprise me if they got my order wrong. I'll find out tomorrow and post up what I find.

Thanks, all. A prime example of a 10 minute job taking hours. Don't you love old cars?

Or it could be right.

These are all made over and it's just a matter of how they assemble it be it 1-wire, internal, or external regulation. Mine looks to be the same one (or very similar) and it was converted to a 1-wire.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:52 PM
oldskydog
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Or it could be right.

These are all made over and it's just a matter of how they assemble it be it 1-wire, internal, or external regulation. Mine looks to be the same one (or very similar) and it was converted to a 1-wire.
Looks like an internal regulator peeking through the vent holes in the back right side of the alt, not to mention the 2 wire terminals on the outer rim instead of the back of the case.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 AM
stellar
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

It is an external regulated alt. The case is from the seldom used late external style. The case looks like an internal, but it is external. That type of case was only used for 1 or 2 years 71 and maybe 72. Mount the ground wire any where you can. Even one of the 4 bolts holding the alt together is ok. I have a small tab that is bolted to the alt by any one of the 4 alt bolts holding it together, and there is a threaded hole with a small bolt to use as a ground. Let me know if you want it. This tab is used on marine alts, and would work fine for you. Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Grounding alternator

Quick Reply: Grounding alternator