C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1954 parts question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 PM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1954 parts question

Is the trim on a 54 chrome or stainless (originally), what about the ash trays?

What are the hardest parts to locate when restoring a '54?

Other than the NCRS assembly manual, the st-12 service manual, Noland Adams book Vol. 1, the 53-72 chassis restoration manual, the real corvette (book), Original Corvette 53-62, and corvette restoration source book 53-67, are there any other good printed resources?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette758702
Is the trim on a 54 chrome or stainless (originally), what about the ash trays?

Other than the NCRS assembly manual, the st-12 service manual, Noland Adams book Vol. 1, the 53-72 chassis restoration manual, the real corvette (book), Original Corvette 53-62, and corvette restoration source book 53-67, are there any other good printed resources?
The trim is stainless. Hard to find parts? Damn near everything. A few that come to mind are seat frames, radio, rear end, dual pot air cleaners, cyl head, block...and on and on. Lots of aftermarket stuff out there but of course it's not 'original'.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:29 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Everything is available for a price These are very expensive cars to restore. Cost difference in a restore between a 53 and 54 = 0. Great cars to restore, part hunting is enjoyable, great information base in this forum and its members and my favorite go to car in my stable. Dive in do the car and you'll never let go
Old 12-11-2010, 12:33 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Locating original parts for a 54 is hard but many were made , but 55 near impossible . Any original parts under the hood I find I buy for future needs because I drive my 55.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:28 PM
TroyPyles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ashtrays and bezels were chrome in my opinion. I've seen some stainless repros.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 PM
YesA59
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 54greg
Cost difference in a restore between a 53 and 54 = 0.
Yes, except when it comes to buying an 066 head and a real valve cover for a 53. A buyer of these items needs to man-friggin'-up. Bidding $10k for an 066 head or real valve cover will land you in third or fourth place during an ebay auction. Even repops go for $1000 to $3500.

Russ
53 #276
Old 12-11-2010, 04:24 PM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

I've seen 2 different styles when it comes to the ash trays.... what is correct?

I've seen 2 different shaped "tabs" on the top... wide and narrow arrow shapes ? ? Is there something about the snuffer part that I should be aware of .. or any stamp markings?

Last edited by vette54728702; 12-11-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:09 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

I've seen 2 different styles when it comes to the ash trays.... what is correct?

I've seen 2 different shaped "tabs" on the top... wide and narrow arrow shapes ? ? Is there something about the snuffer part that I should be aware of .. or any stamp markings?
This is correct

Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I bought my '54 almost 5 years ago and boy was I stupid. It was a supposed numbers matching car. A few months later I discovered my "241" head as actually a passenger car head with the casting numbers ground off. I found that out with a magnet. They used JB Weld after grinding off the numbers to stamp an impression from a mold taken off an original car (with the right numbers on it) to make mine numbers matching. The seller of my car converted it to 12 volts by replacing the starter, voltage regulator, coil, generator, headlights and tail lights and nothing else. The wiring harness was fried, the radio and all the 6 volt stuff including the fuel gauge were toast. Everything as swapped out and/or missing. I could go on for hours. I paid a lot of money for it just because it was "pretty."

I was so mad I called Bruce Shaw, the attorney who advertises in the NCRS Driveline. He did some research on the dealer/seller and gave me some advice based on the guy's history. He agreed I was probably ripped off. He said I could send him a lot of money to go after this guy, fly back and forth across the country many times doing depositions, spending money on hotels, fights, rental cars, lost work, etc. We could win our case. But because of the seller's shady character we may never collect a dime from him. Or, he said, you could swallow your pride, learn about the car, take the money you would have lost suing him and go find all the parts and pieces you need to make the car what you thought you were buying when you bought it. My wife and I agreed with his advice and moved on.

It has been like a 5 year scavenger hunt locating all the original/correct parts I need because my goal is to some day have it judged. I continue to read everything I can find, ask all the questions I can think of looking for answers from people here that I respect, I have a file of about 1.000 pictures plus articles, etc., that I've collected off the internet of original and not original cars from every angle.

I've made many mistakes that cost me a lot of money. I have boxes full of parts I bought early on that the sellers said were original/correct for my '54 Corvette but weren't. Some name brand vendors advertise and sell parts for these cars that are nothing close to what they are representing them to be. You need to become mentally attached at the hip to your car if you are doing it yourself.

After 5 years I drove it last weekend for the first time. What a blast. I told one of the guys at the show I went to last weekend that when you finish doing one of these cars yourself you're probably going to be like me...Compared to 5 years ago I am so in touch with the car I could tell you the part number of each horn, which one is left and which one is right, and which one is the high note and which one is the low note...all without looking it up.

On a side note. I couldn't imagine someone owning one of these cars that does not have the ability and know how to do all their own work. They are and will always be a work in progress no matter how done you think you are with it. And that's why I like having it.

Last edited by Randy G.; 12-11-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:38 AM
YesA59
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 241 head is the hardest to find part. You can probably find everything else on ebay or with one of the parts dealers within a few weeks of wanting to buy it. If you need a head, start looking for one now. And as Randy G points out, beware of fakes.

In terms of finding parts, I purchased some very nice parts from Grossmuellers. Deal with Carol - she really knows her stuff. I also purchased some stuff from Mary Jo, who is a bit cheaper than Grossmuellers and has a very fast turnaround. Jays53 on ebay also sent me some parts - buying from Jay can be a crapshoot, but I had fairly good luck.

If you buy on ebay, you will likely pay about 60% of what you would pay from a retailer like Grossmuellers. But ebay is what it is, and you never know what you are going to get. Dealing with Carol at Grossmuellers, you know exactly what you are going to get, and Carol can give you some really helpful advice about what parts to buy. I think she even gave me some installation advice on a few things.

In terms of books - you listed everything worth having. Study pictures on the internet closely. Like others, I purchased a fair number of wrong parts when I started out. Dues to the club....

Russ
53 #276
www.earlycorvettes.com
Old 12-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

One of the people Russ mentioned I will not buy from anymore. Descriptions and pictures are deceptive.

Tell Carol @ Grossmueller's what your goal is with the car. There are repro parts that fit and work fine that won't pass judging for 50%-60% of what correct parts will sell for, and she can offer both. Mary Jo is a great source and has quick turn around.

With each vendor you need to make sure you are getting a Corvette part. In terms of pulleys and things like that there are $30 ones and there are $100 ones. The difference is, one is Corvette and the other is passenger car which has a different offset and diameter. I have a freshly painted ready to bolt on passenger car pulley if anyone is interested. $30.00

Just because the major vendor says it's for your car doesn't mean it's for your car. It's up to you to find out for sure. Check this thread out I posted a while ago regarding a part for sale from a major vendor with an eBay ad. Read the last post I made on the subject:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...f-anyhere.html

Sure do miss Werner Grossmueller. When you got on the phone with him you needed to record your conversations. One time I got him started on the plexiglass license plate cover and the repops out there. I took up a chair and just listened.

Last edited by Randy G.; 12-12-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:44 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Not that I know much but 55 owners send me a pic. Or e-bay item asking if I think it's a correct original part before buying . There are others that help with the 54 which many were sold so many people know parts that own a 54. Find some one like myself that can advise you.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 PM
TroyPyles
Pro

First part I ever bought for a 54 was from a major vendor you mentioned 21 years ago. It was stated to be a correct voltage regulator. Yep, it had the right part number but it was NORS not NOS. Screws were not through the cover. When I learned what was correct I returned the part.

Over the years I have returned at least a dozen parts to vendors and ebay sellers. Its better than holding on to the wrong stuff. Suggest you give it a try.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 PM
18thVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by YesA59
Yes, except when it comes to buying an 066 head and a real valve cover for a 53. A buyer of these items needs to man-friggin'-up. Bidding $10k for an 066 head or real valve cover will land you in third or fourth place during an ebay auction. Even repops go for $1000 to $3500.

Russ
53 #276
Thank God I don"t need those !!!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

The only parts nerarly inpossible to find for these 5-55's is a real 066 head. Everything else can be found. Just get out the Visa.

Buy a car already done or very complete. It's a buyers market.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:09 PM
joec126owner
Intermediate

I have been in the restoration process for 5+ on our 1954 and even when done I will still have a few original parts to continue to look for. To those that say to open your credit card they are a little light. A line of credit north of 50 is a good bet (low interest). For the 53 guys reading this I found 1 good suprise. A previous owner had a restored 53 choke pull on the car. I am hanging on to this till after I finish this babby. I now have the correct 54 pull for the car. Enjoy enjoy!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:04 PM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

I'm finding it very difficult to start buying parts. I look on ebay mostly for NOS and 54 original corvette parts. I have 3 different parts manuals downloaded that I'm referencing, still waiting for my NCRS assembly manual and NCRS Technical Information manuals to arrive). I'm trying to learn, but what I'm finding is that learning about what is correct for a 54 isn't as easy as I had hoped... good/correct information is just hard to find. I sure don't trust ebay listings. I found 1 seller with the windshield washer lid label that has a part number for a 53 only and another seller with the same label saying for for a 55 only... and both say they are not correct for a 54. I am determined to learn it all though.

Get notified of new replies

To 1954 parts question

Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Actually, the 53 up to around #173 and 55 both use the same type of washer system. 54 is different.

If you don't own a 54, why are you trying to buy parts that you may not need? Are you going to buy the parts or are you just referencing?

It just seems that you are banging your head against the wall. I will help you source correct parts when you buy the car (or even before).

I know what every parts is, where it goes and what fasteners are used for each part. Just email me some more and I'll get you through it.

Glad to help
Brett
Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Actually, the 53 up to around #173 and 55 both use the same type of washer system. 54 is different.

If you don't own a 54, why are you trying to buy parts that you may not need? Are you going to buy the parts or are you just referencing?

It just seems that you are banging your head against the wall. I will help you source correct parts when you buy the car (or even before).

I know what every parts is, where it goes and what fasteners are used for each part. Just email me some more and I'll get you through it.

Glad to help
Brett
I have purchased a few things -smaller items for a 54, NOS stuff that no doubt I will need. Items that have to be date coded or that are dependent on what part of the production run my 54 falls into, I am not purchasing until I have the car. Also for referencing.. I want to learn. If it's a part I might purchase, I greatly value your thoughts, but I will not bother you otherwise. Again, I really appreciate your help as well as others here on the forum.

I'm in my off season for work (laid-off until end of Feb) so I have all the time I want to spend on learning right now. My passion for 'vettes in general is a BIG part of my life and my focus/goal is on a 1954 (a project car).

Thanks again,
Brett
Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 PM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Buy a car already done or very complete. It's a buyers market.

Such great advice. Do not think you are going to take it, but give it a second thought.

Quick Reply: 1954 parts question