C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Starter question - Tom Parsons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default C1 Starter question - Tom Parsons?

Friend with a 62 wants to know if an engine mounted (staggered bolt, for the 168 tooth flywheel) starter can be made to be used with the OEM manual trans bell housing (with bell housing mounted starter mount).

What would need to be modified (if this is even possible)? I am sure the bell housing could be modified, but by how much?

Understand that the correct bell housing mounted starter nose could be swapped onto the starter, but he wanted to know what would prevent the usage of the engine mounted starter nose.

Plasticman
Old 12-11-2010, 03:59 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Tom
just to refresh your memory, i found this old post...

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/179697/

Bill
Old 12-11-2010, 05:49 PM
x0000rgw
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Friend with a 62 wants to know if an engine mounted (staggered bolt, for the 168 tooth flywheel) starter can be made to be used with the OEM manual trans bell housing (with bell housing mounted starter mount).

What would need to be modified (if this is even possible)? I am sure the bell housing could be modified, but by how much?

Understand that the correct bell housing mounted starter nose could be swapped onto the starter, but he wanted to know what would prevent the usage of the engine mounted starter nose.

Plasticman
Plasticman,
I am using a 1967 Corvette starter on my 61 with the
61 bell housing (with bell housing mount for starter). I have
a 74 small block with the two engine bolt holes (350).
There is no problem with the bell housing, but had to use
a shim between the starter and engine block (.050). Without
the shim, the starter gear does not dis-engage very well.
Hope this helps.
Ray
Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,769 Likes on 1,671 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Plasticman

Plasticman
With a later block, that has the BLOCK MOUNT starter holes, AND, if you're using a 168 teeth flywheel (ANY year model 168 teeth flywheel, the starter ring gears are ALL the same), you will need a starter with a CAST IRON nose and staggered bolt pattern. GENERALLY, this combination, and any 55-62 open bottom bell housing is perfectly compatable. On ultra rare ocassions, it has been necessary to some VERY minor clearancing, with a die grinder and a small grinding stone, around the starter opening on the bell housing. But it is usually a perfect fit.
That's it, that's all.
A starter shim SHOULD NOT be needed. You're matching the appropriate starter with the flywheel, NOT matching the starter with the bell housing.

Tom Parsons
Old 12-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Thank you guys.

Plasticman
Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Old Blazer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Wish I woulda known...

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
With a later block, that has the BLOCK MOUNT starter holes, AND, if you're using a 168 teeth flywheel (ANY year model 168 teeth flywheel, the starter ring gears are ALL the same), you will need a starter with a CAST IRON nose and staggered bolt pattern. GENERALLY, this combination, and any 55-62 open bottom bell housing is perfectly compatable. On ultra rare ocassions, it has been necessary to some VERY minor clearancing, with a die grinder and a small grinding stone, around the starter opening on the bell housing. But it is usually a perfect fit.
That's it, that's all.

Tom Parsons
Boy, wish I woulda known this years ago. Just put a rebuilt heavy duty block mount starter in this weekend and it starts as fast as any new car. No more hot restart woes. After looking up the numbers on the old starter I find that it was originaly from a '56 vette. No wonder it had trouble spinning the LT-1.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Starter question - Tom Parsons?

Quick Reply: C1 Starter question - Tom Parsons?