C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

*General Grand Sport Topic*

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:00 PM
slyvet63
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default GS rims

P.M. Sent to Norange about the GS Wheels.
Thx
Old 02-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Belaboo942
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 63 Grand Sport Emblem

Guys, does anyone know where I can get hold of a rear deck emblem of the Corvette 'script' and the Grand Sport 'Bar'?? any help would be much appreciated.There was a post July 2010 but that part no is obsolete!!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:36 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Belaboo942
Guys, does anyone know where I can get hold of a rear deck emblem of the Corvette 'script' and the Grand Sport 'Bar'?? any help would be much appreciated.There was a post July 2010 but that part no is obsolete!!
One way to make the rear deck emblem is to very carefully use a Dremel to trim a '63 Sting Ray rear deck emblem to harvest just the word "Corvette". Then, below this mount the "Grand Sport" emblem from a '96 GS Vette.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's a good "10 footer" solution.

Jim
Old 02-28-2015, 08:11 PM
ReadyEddie
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mongoose sales the "Grand Sport" overlay for the stock 63 rear deck emblem.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:37 PM
slyvet63
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Grand Sport Rear Deck Emblem

I've been wondering where to get one myself.
I figured I would wait until my project was all done and that would be the last piece to put on. By that time, there will be no one alive who remembers what a Grand Sport is.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Belaboo942
Advanced

Default GS Rear Deck Emblem!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
One way to make the rear deck emblem is to very carefully use a Dremel to trim a '63 Sting Ray rear deck emblem to harvest just the word "Corvette". Then, below this mount the "Grand Sport" emblem from a '96 GS Vette.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's a good "10 footer" solution.

Jim
Jim, thanks, for your reply! I have been going back through some of the forum history! At the risk of sounding like the president of the Jim Lockwood appreciation society, you are a top man! You seem to be active in many of the GS threads and replys. Very knowlegeable ......very patient and helpful in the extreme ......long may you continue! Sincerest regards Martyn
Old 03-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Belaboo942
Advanced

Default "Grand Sport" emblem overlay

Originally Posted by ReadyEddie
Mongoose sales the "Grand Sport" overlay for the stock 63 rear deck emblem.
Thanks for that ReadyEddie! I did try emailing Mongoose a few weeks ago with my request but received no reply. I will try again using your suggestion!
Old 03-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Belaboo942
Advanced

Default Grand Sport Emblem

Originally Posted by slyvet63
I've been wondering where to get one myself.
I figured I would wait until my project was all done and that would be the last piece to put on. By that time, there will be no one alive who remembers what a Grand Sport is.
So long as you can still remember ......what a sweet moment that will be though!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 PM
ReadyEddie
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that ReadyEddie! I did try emailing Mongoose a few weeks ago with my request but received no reply. I will try again using your suggestion!
The 96 emblem that Jim suggested is no longer in production, so you would pay an excessive amount for one on ebay. When I was restoring my GS I got a real nice one from Gary that has a clear dome over the letters.

Ed
Old 03-01-2015, 11:44 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Jim, thanks, for your reply! I have been going back through some of the forum history! At the risk of sounding like the president of the Jim Lockwood appreciation society, you are a top man! You seem to be active in many of the GS threads and replys. Very knowlegeable ......very patient and helpful in the extreme ......long may you continue! Sincerest regards Martyn
Well <blush>, thank you. I've had more fun with our two Grand Sports than with any other Corvette I've owned. I can't help spreading the enthusiasm I have for the cars.

These are not easy cars to build, requiring a fair amount of innovation. There is no sense in everyone having to re-invent the wheel when good fabrication solutions are available if you just ask. I'm happy to share my experiences, for whatever they are worth.

Jim
Old 03-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Belaboo942
Advanced

Default 96 GS Emblem

Originally Posted by ReadyEddie
The 96 emblem that Jim suggested is no longer in production, so you would pay an excessive amount for one on ebay. When I was restoring my GS I got a real nice one from Gary that has a clear dome over the letters.

Ed
Ed, thanks for that. I did email Mongoose with that info, so will see if that generates a response. Will keep you posted. Again thanks and regards!
Old 03-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Belaboo942
Advanced

Default Rear Brake Ducts

Well <blush>, thank you. I've had more fun with our two Grand Sports than with any other Corvette I've owned. I can't help spreading the enthusiasm I have for the cars.

These are not easy cars to build, requiring a fair amount of innovation. There is no sense in everyone having to re-invent the wheel when good fabrication solutions are available if you just ask. I'm happy to share my experiences, for whatever they are worth.

Jim
Like I say Jim, you are a top man! There was one other mystery concerning the rear brake cooling arrangement and rear fender top mounted scoops that you will probably know the answer to. I have tried to see how this worked back in the day on the original cars, without much luck. It seems to me that rather than convoluted tubing routed to the back of the rotors (like on the front) there was a rectangular section fabrication, leading down from a rectangular aperture, (under the scoop cowl), fixed to to the inner wheel arch wall and just terminating in the general vicinity of the rear hubs. Am I correct in this assumption? and if so, how efficient would this have been? As ever, very grateful for any insight.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:14 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Like I say Jim, you are a top man! There was one other mystery concerning the rear brake cooling arrangement and rear fender top mounted scoops that you will probably know the answer to. I have tried to see how this worked back in the day on the original cars, without much luck. It seems to me that rather than convoluted tubing routed to the back of the rotors (like on the front) there was a rectangular section fabrication, leading down from a rectangular aperture, (under the scoop cowl), fixed to to the inner wheel arch wall and just terminating in the general vicinity of the rear hubs. Am I correct in this assumption? and if so, how efficient would this have been? As ever, very grateful for any insight.
That is exactly how the rear brake cooling is configured. By whatever means you determined that, congratulations; that's good detective work.

I have a picture of the ducting I can post, but I'm on the road at the moment and my picture file is at home. Remind me in a week or so about this ducting and I'll upload a picture of the ducting on GS #003.

As for the efficiency of the rear brake ducts, well, I'd frame the question in terms of how necessary they really are.

Think about it like this: About 70% of the braking is done by the front brakes, 30% done by the rear.

The Grand Sports weighed around 2100 lbs when fully developed. Its safe to assume that if the brakes are well balanced for the amount of weight transfer, then at maximum braking, 30% of the vehicle weight is being slowed by the rear brakes..... that's only 600 lbs. A pretty much trivial amount of weight.

I'd submit, but can't prove, that you wouldn't need cooling for brakes which have no more responsibility than that.

Are you planning to attempt duplicating the GS rear brake ducting?

Jim
Old 03-03-2015, 01:16 AM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

I think you will find that only the early D&D cars had the small bump added behind the rear wheelhouse that the air ducting passed thru. It can be seen from inside the car. I know the MAI and Mongoose versions do not have this little addition. My 049 D&D does have the bump. Air flow was in the brake scoop a sharp rh or lh turn towards the center of car then another 90 degree turn down . At the bottom of the ductwork a simple 90 degree bend aimed to the back of rear disc's . ------ Ken
Old 03-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Belaboo942
Advanced

Default Rear Brakes.

That is exactly how the rear brake cooling is configured. By whatever means you determined that, congratulations; that's good detective work.

I have a picture of the ducting I can post, but I'm on the road at the moment and my picture file is at home. Remind me in a week or so about this ducting and I'll upload a picture of the ducting on GS #003.

As for the efficiency of the rear brake ducts, well, I'd frame the question in terms of how necessary they really are.

Think about it like this: About 70% of the braking is done by the front brakes, 30% done by the rear.

The Grand Sports weighed around 2100 lbs when fully developed. Its safe to assume that if the brakes are well balanced for the amount of weight transfer, then at maximum braking, 30% of the vehicle weight is being slowed by the rear brakes..... that's only 600 lbs. A pretty much trivial amount of weight.

I'd submit, but can't prove, that you wouldn't need cooling for brakes which have no more responsibility than that.

Are you planning to attempt duplicating the GS rear brake ducting?

Jim
Thanks Jim, my turn to blush. I am planning to duplicate the ducting and would really like to see your photo ref when convenient!
I'll give you reminder in a week or so if I haven't heard before then, if that's ok! I think my body must have been an early D&D because it has the 'bump' at the side of the rear deck screen to which Ken referred in his post. Regards Martyn
Old 03-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Belaboo942
Advanced

Default 'Bump'

Originally Posted by keystonefarm
I think you will find that only the early D&D cars had the small bump added behind the rear wheelhouse that the air ducting passed thru. It can be seen from inside the car. I know the MAI and Mongoose versions do not have this little addition. My 049 D&D does have the bump. Air flow was in the brake scoop a sharp rh or lh turn towards the center of car then another 90 degree turn down . At the bottom of the ductwork a simple 90 degree bend aimed to the back of rear disc's . ------ Ken
Thanks for your reply Ken. I think my body must be an early D&D too because it has this feature. I did wonder if it was there for a reason and happily your reply confirms it's function. Sure will help to make it look more authentic! Martyn
Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Thanks Jim, my turn to blush. I am planning to duplicate the ducting and would really like to see your photo ref when convenient!
I'll give you reminder in a week or so if I haven't heard before then, if that's ok! I think my body must have been an early D&D because it has the 'bump' at the side of the rear deck screen to which Ken referred in his post. Regards Martyn
How about posting some pictures..... your D&D in profile, a shot of the steering and front suspension as viewed from the front, the headlight covers, and any others you feel like sharing.

Also, if I'm not being too nosy, what serial number is your D&D?

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To *General Grand Sport Topic*

Old 03-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Belaboo942
Advanced

Default Grand Sport

How about posting some pictures..... your D&D in profile, a shot of the steering and front suspension as viewed from the front, the headlight covers, and any others you feel like sharing.

Also, if I'm not being too nosy, what serial number is your D&D?

Jim
Here's the thing, curiously it doesn't actually have a D&D prefix to the VIN. Because it was originally registered in Alaska it has an AK number. I believe D&D were the only one to reproduce the 'bump' faithfully, unless there were other manufacturers out there which have subsequently ceased trading, I don't know. As regards photos I have some 'before' ones on a file which I'll post when I can get it back! Marty
Old 03-04-2015, 11:45 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Here's the thing, curiously it doesn't actually have a D&D prefix to the VIN. Because it was originally registered in Alaska it has an AK number. I believe D&D were the only one to reproduce the 'bump' faithfully, unless there were other manufacturers out there which have subsequently ceased trading, I don't know. As regards photos I have some 'before' ones on a file which I'll post when I can get it back! Marty
Alaska? Hmmmm...... did you buy the OJ Hanna Grand Sport? It was in Alaska for a while and I've never heard of any other GS being in that state.

There may be some hidden numbers I can help you find.

Jim
Old 03-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Belaboo942
Advanced

Alaska? Hmmmm...... did you buy the OJ Hanna Grand Sport? It was in Alaska for a while and I've never heard of any other GS being in that state.

There may be some hidden numbers I can help you find.

Jim
My turn to congratulate you on your detective work!

Now I'm intrigued! If there were any numbers they have been super ceded by the AK one. Do you know anything of it's history?

Marty

Quick Reply: *General Grand Sport Topic*