C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

*General Grand Sport Topic*

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Were talking a seriously overweight car here.

My C4 is at 3,025 and it's really not on a diet.

ty - your car needs to go to Weight Watchers.

Richard Newton
Old 02-13-2017, 03:04 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My GS should weigh in the 2400 to 2700 pounds, however I don't think it would be competitive against the other cars running in the lightweight class due to superior technology.

That is why I was looking at the Vintage class at 3200 pound minimum, but with the advantage of adding the weight to give better handling possibilities compared with the others in the same weight class.

1. Lower Center of Gravity
2. Front/Rear, Side/Side, diagonal weight perfection
3. Adding the wider Wheel/Tire combinations
4. Perfecting the Moment of inertia, (Is that right?) compared to the others that have two live with the weight however it came from the factory.
5. Full belly pan.

Should still have a 4-600 pound advantage on others in the same class especially if some added technology could be implemented as well.

Does this make anymore sense?

Any idea on the wheel tire sizes?

I agree 100% a heavy GS is a oxymoron, but being at the very bottom of the weight class and having the adjustability over the competition in where the weight is, seems like it might have some possibilities for success. Plus it would be nothing that couldn't be reversed at a later point in time.

Nothing about this has been done yet, but just thinking how to have any advantage that is possible.

Thoughts?

Most other cars are F Bodies which start heavier to begin with.

I have a 69 Camaro that I could run in the vintage class, but I would lose any advantage of weight placement or added extras that would be "Free" starting with a lighter car.

Thank again for everyones, you all are always very kind with your help. It is much appreciated.

Personally, having a 2000 GS would be a blast, but against the new Lotus, modified Mitsubishis, Subarus etc. its hard to take a 55 YO car and be competitive.

These timed events seem to be the safest way to play hard and stay safe at the same time.

Last edited by tyoneal; 02-13-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:10 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

What vintage group will you be running with? I haven't seen many Subarus in vintage racing?

Richard Newton
Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 PM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoneal
To all:

I am wanting to run my car in the Ultimate Street Car Competition when finished with my GS and I am trying to plan the build in some respects to be competitive in the competition.

There two classes I can enter and at least have a car capable of being on par with others. (Driving aside)

Over 3200 pound minimum weight Vintage, or "Open" class which has no minimum weight but includes AWD's and others cars with fully computerized active suspensions.

That sounds like a hard number to reach to me. I'm at 2650 with a roll cage inside...

What are the widest tires one can mount on their GS?
On the rear you can run as wide as you can have made with the right offset; though you'd be better off deciding what size tire you want to run and then getting wheels to fit. Up front it's harder. I run a 275 up front and I rub the frame at full lock. Tire has to be short as well to clear the fender. You also have to be careful about getting too much weight/force away from the car. The C4 (and newer) wheel bearings aren't designed to carry offset weight like that.
My thoughts initially are to run in the Vintage class at a goal of 3201 pounds, retro fitting ABS and Traction Control if possible, then adding weight to car as low and properly placed on the chassis as possible to increase handling.

Is there anyway to run 315's on all four corners without tearing up the fenders? I've seen small extensions added to the rear fenders to help accommodate larger than 275 rear tires.
Rears don't need any mods for 315 or larger as long as you have the correct offset wheels.

BTW: With the C4 suspension having corvette hubs, and running a LS3 do you know anyone who has been able to get this to work, or offers a kit of some kind?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. What does the LS3 have to do with C4 suspension? I run an LS7 with C4 suspension. I have custom half shafts and a custom drive shaft to mate up to my transmission, but there's nothing special about them. Just tell them what the connections are and the length.

Also which Traction Control System would you recommend?
Race Logic... if you can find it.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:59 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rfn026
What vintage group will you be running with? I haven't seen many Subarus in vintage racing?

Richard Newton
The AWD drive cars run with ALL car under 3200 pounds.

This should help. I think it would be a blast to have several of us hit a few of these events. They are also Televised on MAV.

It would be a long time dream to be the actual driver of a "GS Corvette". This is as close as I think you can without risking your life and cart.

Thoughts?

Ty
======================

http://driveusca.com

6. Classes - The USCA will recognize six classes of vehicles within USCA sanctioned events and reserves the right to weigh any vehicle at any time during the event or event activities. Weights are as presented in tech without a driver.
a. GT – 1990 and newer 3200-pound minimum weight 2WD sedans, 4 seater coupes and late model trucks (example – 5th Gen Camaro, BMW M3/M5, late model Mustang)
b. GTS** (Sports car) – 1990 and newer 3200-pound minimum weight factory production two-seater autos and any all wheel drive vehicles (example – C5/C6/C7 Corvette, Mitsubishi Evo, Nissan GTR)
c. GTV (Vintage) – 1989 and older 3200-pound minimum weight rear wheel drive (example – 1967 Mustang, 1987 Monte Carlo, 1974 Pontiac Firebird)
d. GTC (compact/sport compact) – naturally aspirated 4 cylinder or 2 rotary engines, FWD or RWD, front engine mount with max 107” wheelbase. All vehicles in this class must weigh, at a minimum, 95% of the factory published curb weight. Drivers are responsible for providing documentation. (example – Mazda Miata/MX5, Honda Civic/S2000, Toyota FRS) Vehicles in the GTC class that are not at least 95% of factory published curb weight will be moved to the exhibition class and will not receive championship points for the event.
e. GTE (electric EV vehicles) – Performance cars designated from the manufacturer as EV, must be pure electric, no hybrids or fossil fuels of any kind. (example - Tesla, BMW i3, Volkswagen E-Golf). This class is not intended for urban economy vehicles like the Leaf or Smart cars. All EV vehicles must compete at their published factory curb weight or higher.
f. GTL** (Lights) – ALL VEHICLES UNDER 3200 POUNDS including forced induction 4 cylinder and 3 rotary compact/sport compact vehicles – all vehicles participating in the GTL class must weigh, at a minimum, 95% of the factory published curb weight. Drivers are responsible for providing documentation.
5. All entrants/drivers must have a valid, government issued driver’s license and must be at
least 16 years of age. All drivers under the age of 18 must have a parent/legal guardian
waiver signed during registration.
Copyright© 2013 – 2017 Ultimate Street Car Association, Inc.
Example, if your car weighed 3000 pounds from the factory, it must weigh at least 2850 pounds to compete legally. Vehicles in the GTL class that are not at least 95% of factory published curb weight will be moved to the exhibition class and will not receive championship points for the event.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:09 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SpedRacr93

That sounds like a hard number to reach to me. I'm at 2650 with a roll cage inside...

On the rear you can run as wide as you can have made with the right offset; though you'd be better off deciding what size tire you want to run and then getting wheels to fit. Up front it's harder. I run a 275 up front and I rub the frame at full lock. Tire has to be short as well to clear the fender. You also have to be careful about getting too much weight/force away from the car. The C4 (and newer) wheel bearings aren't designed to carry offset weight like that.

Rears don't need any mods for 315 or larger as long as you have the correct offset wheels.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. What does the LS3 have to do with C4 suspension? I run an LS7 with C4 suspension. I have custom half shafts and a custom drive shaft to mate up to my transmission, but there's nothing special about them. Just tell them what the connections are and the length.

I'm sorry for not being clear, I also have a 64 convertible that is wide open as far as suspension, and I was wondering with such a light car, is there a suspension that would function better than the C4? Or just be better with going with a special suspension mad exactly for the car and it's weight?

I prefer easy to find parts just for the lack of headache and $$$ that custom one cost.

Race Logic... if you can find it.
Thanks for the information, I have taken classes and studied the suspension technologies of Ron Sutton.

http://www.ronsuttonracetechnology.com

He seems to be well versed in the proper "Setup" of many types of cars.

Hopefully this will make things more clear.

Thanks,

Ty
Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizzard
At that weight, you might as well throw in all-wheel-drive too.....
Agreed!

If necessary I can always run my 69 Camaro. It is really a well put together car, BUT it's not a GS!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:17 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default If this is available it seems like a hell of a deal! D&D

To all:

I know this is the wrong section for this, but since we are solely GS'ers here I thought I would bring this to you attention.

It seems like a good deal for someone.

http://www.vehicles-classifieds.com/...248499862.html

Take a peek and see what you think. It's a D&d.

Enjoy!

Ty
Old 02-17-2017, 03:36 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default BTW: I still have a place for us.

To all:

I still own Grandsport.net, and I have paid for the "license" for the forum software.

BUT,

I really need some help from someone to help get it up and running. I don't have the skills or the time right now, and I've been collecting money for my GS, so I haven't been able to pay to have it done.

I do have an account at Go-Daddy, the software, and the hosting sight paid for. As far as I know, I am just lacking the organization/developement skills personally to get it off the ground.

I would love for us to have our own site, with links to here and the other "Official" GS sights.

I think since we are ALL replica's for the most part (Except for the Lucky 5) we are the Red Headed Step Children in the groups. Not officially official, but with only 5 official, we are as close as the common man can expect to be, and we are all really passionate about our specific cars.

I would bet that there are maybe 500 of us in total maybe?

Can you imagine getting a Dozen or more of us riding in a group on the Hot Rod Power Cruise, The Silver State Challenge, Texas Mile, or a symbolic Route 66 run?

Plus, I would really like to meet many of you. We seem come from all backgrounds, but share a deep passion for an otherwise (Very Cool) footnote in history, as some might say.

I love this forum and don't want to cause any issues, just want to promote our little niche of the Corvette Family.

Any ideas, or Volunteers to get this up and running?

I just don't have the time or money right now.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Old 02-22-2017, 01:14 PM
zoraarcus
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a million hours of GS knowledge here so I'm looking to identify the two light reflecting objects on outer edge of the hood underside. (Does any of the originals have them other than #004?). Also I spy with my little eye....8.5 written on front wheel in '64 , cb antenna mount not looking like the Collier car, underside of hood blacked out including the bungee and dzus hardware. Photo was taken after the gulf sticker was moved and before the names were painted on driver's door.

Thanks all
Larry Taylor

Last edited by zoraarcus; 02-22-2017 at 07:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zoraarcus:
Belaboo942 (02-24-2017), rfn026 (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 01:24 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Larry, those two light areas near the hood locks appear to be just light reflecting off changes in the contours of the fiberglass. I don't think they are actual objects which have been added to the hood.

My photo library is off-line at the moment due to $%#@@&&% router issues but I'll check it for any more revealing photos at my next opportunity.

Jim
Old 02-22-2017, 03:33 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

You really can't compare the Cobra and the GS. Two very different levels of funding.

Two very different corporations as well.

Richard Newton
The Grand Sport
Old 02-22-2017, 07:36 PM
zoraarcus
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Larry, those two light areas near the hood locks appear to be just light reflecting off changes in the contours of the fiberglass. I don't think they are actual objects which have been added to the hood.

My photo library is off-line at the moment due to $%#@@&&% router issues but I'll check it for any more revealing photos at my next opportunity.

Jim
I think you're correct Jim. Forgot stock '63 hoods had "steps" below the latches and mine is just flat. So the Sebring hoods were slightly similar to production ones.

Larry Taylor
Old 02-23-2017, 09:07 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Larry,

I've looked through my photos of #004 but unfortunately I don't have a better picture of the hood than the one you posted. Still, I think those light areas are just reflections.

Jim
Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Bill GS
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zoraarcus
I think you're correct Jim. Forgot stock '63 hoods had "steps" below the latches and mine is just flat. So the Sebring hoods were slightly similar to production ones.

Larry Taylor
Picture of 004, I'm not sure where, Sep 20, 2010.

Last edited by Bill GS; 02-23-2017 at 09:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Belaboo942 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 PM
zoraarcus
Instructor

Thanks. The profile is clear in that photo. Clearly that's the reflection on a sunny Florida day my photo showed.

Larry Taylor
The following users liked this post:
Belaboo942 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Bill GS
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

To all:

I still own Grandsport.net, and I have paid for the "license" for the forum software.

BUT,

I really need some help from someone to help get it up and running. I don't have the skills or the time right now, and I've been collecting money for my GS, so I haven't been able to pay to have it done.

I do have an account at Go-Daddy, the software, and the hosting sight paid for. As far as I know, I am just lacking the organization/developement skills personally to get it off the ground.

I would love for us to have our own site, with links to here and the other "Official" GS sights.

I think since we are ALL replica's for the most part (Except for the Lucky 5) we are the Red Headed Step Children in the groups. Not officially official, but with only 5 official, we are as close as the common man can expect to be, and we are all really passionate about our specific cars.

I would bet that there are maybe 500 of us in total maybe?

Can you imagine getting a Dozen or more of us riding in a group on the Hot Rod Power Cruise, The Silver State Challenge, Texas Mile, or a symbolic Route 66 run?

Plus, I would really like to meet many of you. We seem come from all backgrounds, but share a deep passion for an otherwise (Very Cool) footnote in history, as some might say.

I love this forum and don't want to cause any issues, just want to promote our little niche of the Corvette Family.

Any ideas, or Volunteers to get this up and running?

I just don't have the time or money right now.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Ty, I currently do our Corvette Club web site (ccpb.us on GoDaddy) and could help. Depends on the complexity of the site. What programs do you have. I use an old compiler, Microsoft Office Front Page 2003 - last issue.

Last edited by Bill GS; 02-24-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To *General Grand Sport Topic*

Old 03-02-2017, 12:03 AM
slyvet63
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default GS#4 and Edelbrock #614

Does anybody have that photo of both GS #4 and Vic Edelbrock Jr's 614 racing side by side? GS#4 in the foreground.

I use to have it as a screen saver, but it's gone and I cannot find it anywhere on the net.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:54 AM
zoraarcus
Instructor

I lost it too. Was 2013 Monterey historic.
larry
Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 PM
zoraarcus
Instructor

Originally Posted by zoraarcus
I lost it too. Was 2013 Monterey historic.
larry
The following 2 users liked this post by zoraarcus:
Belaboo942 (03-02-2017), rfn026 (03-03-2017)

Quick Reply: *General Grand Sport Topic*