C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Le Mans Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Le Mans Corvettes

Most of us know about the Corvettes that raced at le Mans back in 1960. Car number one was destroyed and cars number two and three are in good hands today. But what about the number four car. The Camoradi Corvette. Has it survived and if so where is it?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:55 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Google says it exists
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smuckatelli/4450786114/

http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/c...let-00495.html
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car #1 still exist. Rumored to be in FL. Lance Miller brought the #3 to BG this summer. I made a special trip to see it. Not my video, but from someone who took a ride in the #3 at BG. A charity donation got you two laps in the #3

Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

http://registryofcorvetteracecars.co.../view_cars/281

http://registryofcorvetteracecars.co.../view_cars/277
Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Rick Gower
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

If I remember correctly, one of the cars, number 2 I believe, was discovered and restored by the late Mike Pillsbury many years ago Mike had the finished car on display at the 1987 Monterey Historics honoring the 75th anniversary of Chevrolet. The second car to have been discovered, number 3, was done so by Kevin McKay and sold to the late Chip Miller. I believe Kevin also restored the car for him. It was displayed in various states of restoration at Corvettes of Carlisle. Lance Miller, Chip's son, along with John Fitch took the car back to Lemans for the 50th anniversary of the 1960 race in which it won it's class. Incredible experience by a wonderful great son and gentleman racer.

Both cars are beautifully restored. It is my understanding that the third car, number 1, has never been located and it is anyones guess where it is or if it still exists. I believe the car Mike Pillsbury found, number 2 was retrieved by him from a wrecking yard in the Los Angeles area.

There is a great article in the Corvette Restorer on the Camarodi car written by Loren Lundberg who found and had the car restored.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
But what about the number four car. The Camoradi Corvette. Has it survived and if so where is it?
Here's Loren with #4, picking up a trophy at the Amelia Island Concours back in March.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Great thread....thanks for sharing the video, pics & links....
Old 07-30-2012, 05:32 PM
lwberman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1960 LeMans Corvette #1 VIN 00867S103535

Breaking News !!!
The long lost #1 Cunningham team car has been located in a warehouse
in FL and has been purchased by a well known Corvette restorer. More
on this story will be posted on my hobby web site www.briggscunningham.com this week.
Larry Berman
Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Clas Lindman
6th Gear

Default The Comoradi #4 Corvette

Originally Posted by Rick Gower
If I remember correctly, one of the cars, number 2 I believe, was discovered and restored by the late Mike Pillsbury many years ago Mike had the finished car on display at the 1987 Monterey Historics honoring the 75th anniversary of Chevrolet. The second car to have been discovered, number 3, was done so by Kevin McKay and sold to the late Chip Miller. I believe Kevin also restored the car for him. It was displayed in various states of restoration at Corvettes of Carlisle. Lance Miller, Chip's son, along with John Fitch took the car back to Lemans for the 50th anniversary of the 1960 race in which it won it's class. Incredible experience by a wonderful great son and gentleman racer.

Both cars are beautifully restored. It is my understanding that the third car, number 1, has never been located and it is anyones guess where it is or if it still exists. I believe the car Mike Pillsbury found, number 2 was retrieved by him from a wrecking yard in the Los Angeles area.

There is a great article in the Corvette Restorer on the Camarodi car written by Loren Lundberg who found and had the car restored.
Hi Rick, I’m doing research on the Camoradi Corvette. Do you know where I can get hold of the article that you’re referring to? Sorry, I’m not familiar with “the Corvette Restorer.” Thanks.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Even complete totaled cars from decades past surface in " warehouses " , perfect condition. I am out of the barn finds, turning my attention to warehouse finds.
Seems there is always another mystery car to exploit. Wonder how many Gulf Oil 61s are waiting in the wings ? Apparently we have enough Fi 57s to account for 120% of GM production numbers. How about another 63 GS collecting dust in Mexico ?
Its a great day for mega investors, auction firms, the restoration shops, and authors selling history accounts. Then there are everyday owners with ordinary cars . One of items spark many imaginations.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Clas Lindman
Hi Rick, I’m doing research on the Camoradi Corvette. Do you know where I can get hold of the article that you’re referring to? Sorry, I’m not familiar with “the Corvette Restorer.” Thanks.
"The Corvette Restorer" is the quarterly magazine put out by the National Corvette Restorer Society" (NCRS).

I vaguely remember the article on Camoradi Corvette, and I probably have the issue around somewhere. I've got to think that it was at least 15 years ago, when the article was published. Heck, this post is almost 7 years old.

I don't know if the NCRS has any back issues of The Restorer, but I don't think so. They do have a limited number of issues/articles on DVD, but I don't know if the Camoradi article is among the ones available.

You can contact the NCRS at NCRS.org.

Welcome to the Corvette Forum.
The following users liked this post:
Clas Lindman (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 AM
427 Sidepipes
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 135 Posts

I believe these may be the past articles/issues from the NCRS Restorer:

Volume Twenty-Two; #Three; Winter 1996 = 1960 Camoradi LeMans Corvette - Part One - The Chase
Volume Twenty-Three; #Two; Fall 1996 = 1960 Camoradi LeMans Corvette - Part 2 - Retrieval

Last edited by 427 Sidepipes; 03-20-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: stupid
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

If you're "not familiar" with "The Corvette Restorer" after 43 years of existence, perhaps it's easier to just ask "What do you want to know?".
Old 03-21-2017, 12:45 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

At LeMans this year during some of the vintage parade laps.
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Clas Lindman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
If you're "not familiar" with "The Corvette Restorer" after 43 years of existence, perhaps it's easier to just ask "What do you want to know?".
As you asked…

I’m looking to find out the story about the #4 car that was left in a ditch in Sweden after a road accident, after participating in the “Kanonloppet” (the Swedish GP), when it was on it’s way to England to participate in the Goodwood TT. Questions: Who found out and traced the car? Who owned it in Sweden? Who purchased it? What condition was it in when found? Who renovated it?

Thank you
clas@patinamagazine.com
Old 03-21-2017, 02:59 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,313 Posts

As you asked…

I’m looking to find out the story about the #4 car that was left in a ditch in Sweden after a road accident, after participating in the “Kanonloppet” (the Swedish GP), when it was on it’s way to England to participate in the Goodwood TT. Questions: Who found out and traced the car? Who owned it in Sweden? Who purchased it? What condition was it in when found? Who renovated it?

Thank you
clas@patinamagazine.com
If you can find copies, most if not all of your questions, are answered in the Restorer articles mentioned above.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Clas Lindman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by gbvette62
If you can find copies, most if not all of your questions, are answered in the Restorer articles mentioned above.
Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Le Mans Corvettes

Old 03-21-2017, 03:21 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

As you asked…

Thank you
clas@patinamagazine.com
I traced it and found it; Claude Beaucamp; I did; it was located in 5 different locations; I did, with guidance and assistance from a number of friends.
Clas Lindman (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 AM
Clas Lindman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
I traced it and found it; Claude Beaucamp; I did; it was located in 5 different locations; I did, with guidance and assistance from a number of friends.
Thank you for your response Claude,
As you might understand, writing an article about this would require some additional information. If you have or know where I can find the information or if you are willing to share your story, it would be greatly appreciated. You can reach me directly by email or by phone.
Thanks

Clas Lindman
clas@patinamagazine.com
212-717-9020
Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Thank you for your response Claude,
As you might understand, writing an article about this would require some additional information. If you have or know where I can find the information or if you are willing to share your story, it would be greatly appreciated. You can reach me directly by email or by phone.
Thanks

Clas Lindman
clas@patinamagazine.com
212-717-9020
My name is not Claude; he is the gentleman that I purchased it from. The story has been published in The Corvette Restorer in 1996 and reprinted recently again. The car has been at Monterey, the NCM, NCRS Nationals for the Heritage Award and at the Amelia Island Concours. Until today, I had never heard the words "Patina" and "magazine" used in the same sentence, much less been aware of its existence. Why does this story fit your magazine?
Clas Lindman (03-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Le Mans Corvettes